SML loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking around and can't seem to find load data for various powders for a SML. I'm interested in tryinging other powders I have or are available. Ones like Lil Gun, Varget IMR4350.
Has anyone compiled a list of min and max loads for different powders?

Thanks Tom. I only saw one load listing for Varget and that is with a booster powder! Is Varget too slow for SML application without a booster powder?
Anyone use Lil Gun?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Tom. after a very quick review,
I see it hasn't been revised since 2010, 14 years ago? Our 225 gr Fury bullets, with 4198 aren't listed.

I see that a new chart shows N110 and Lil Gun at 64 & 65 respectfully. So I'm thinking if I start 5-10% below the N110 charge with Lil Gun I should be safe. Just increase and watch for pressure signs like flattened primers. (I'm using the LRMP modules) What do you think.

The time is coming and really here when shooting basic single loads is going to be limited because of supply, I hope as many of us begin to shoot some of the other powders we learn more efficient ways to ignite them, maybe I should qualify single load powders to me are h or IMR 4198 n120 n 120 n110 etc there are others ,that don't need a duplexing application. I hope someone with Trace recording equipment steps into the picture and helps improve and make some of the load information more current again there's a good base of Trace records to build off of in relation to looking at powders to try most of the powders that we do have today we're also being experimented with 10 and 15 years ago and then again there are some new ones too they're definitely are a lot of new bullets

If backing off 20% still went Bang I would give myself the extra buffer and work up if it was a new combination or a new powder I had not worked with before I always side on the side of very very light with the first group or so or the first bullet especially

Thanks for posting this Tom. after a very quick review,
I see it hasn't been revised since 2010, 14 years ago? Our 225 gr Fury bullets, with 4198 aren't listed.

Others here have given me a lot of direction on loads and powders. The 56 grain load of IMR4198 using the 225 grain Fury was suggested thru here and its a very accurate load without any signs of being too high of pressure..... primers are clean and not deformed and the sabots are a picture of perfect. When the charge goes up tho, the recoil goes up exponentially.

I have 5744 powder too and have shot it but the stuff is like shooting cornmeal in the gun, very, very dirty in just a couple shots and the accuracy was not coming around after a dozen shots so I hung the stuff up.

Mnt monkey can be a wizard to chat with. Hit him up with a pm and he'll have you flying in no time. Great guy! Michigan Muzzy is another.

Other powders i have in stock and plan to try out eventually are aa2015, n340, 4100, n130, n140, 10x, re7, lilgun, i4350, i4895, re22… if i can determine safe & appropriate loads for bullets between 180 and 250 grain. Really any powder intended for .410 shotgun or large magnum pistols.
I had a chance to buy an 8# of n120 or i4198, a couple weeks ago. The n120 had been there for a few months so i bought the 4198. And now the n120 has been sold-out ever since. But the i4198 is still plentiful here. Wish i had bought n120 instead.

I see that a new chart shows N110 and Lil Gun at 64 & 65 respectfully. So I'm thinking if I start 5-10% below the N110 charge with Lil Gun I should be safe. Just increase and watch for pressure signs like flattened primers. (I'm using the LRMP modules) What do you think.
Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, you are stating where those two powders fall on a burn rate chart and not an amount of powder to use, is that correct?

yes that's correct
If backing off 20% still went Bang I would give myself the extra buffer and work up if it was a new combination or a new powder I had not worked with before I always side on the side of very very light with the first group or so or the first bullet especially
You have to be careful with too light a load. Not sure about SMLs but in a cartridge, if you load too light, you may also develop excessive pressure.

Thanks Tom. I only saw one load listing for Varget and that is with a booster powder! Is Varget too slow for SML application without a booster powder?
Anyone use Lil Gun?
Lil'Gun is a fast powder, I haven't used it in my SML and wouldn't unless as a booster in a duplex load (but I have some Blue Dot and Universal for that). I have played with boosters but honestly, I haven't been able to beat H9198 behind a 270-grain Arrowhead XLD...

Rl 7 is a decent powder if it's all you have.
Been shooting a precision bullets 300 and 325 with 65 gn rl7 wool wad and lrmp
2640 avr velocity 300gn pill.
The wad is important in that load totally changed the performance.
Found 8 pnds of I 4198 will be running that instead.
Hope to drop the wad.

Rl 7 is a decent powder if it's all you have.
Been shooting a precision bullets 300 and 325 with 65 gn rl7 wool wad and lrmp
2640 avr velocity 300gn pill.
The wad is important in that load totally changed the performance.
Found 8 pnds of I 4198 will be running that instead.
Hope to drop the wad.
If I were you I'd keep using the wad. IMO the use of a wool/felt wad always increases accuracy. At least from my experience with black powder and subs and limited experience with SMLs. I'm going to be calling my lical gun shop tomorrow and give him a list of powders I'd like to see if he can get. I told him to try and get, in this order: H4198, IMR4198, N120, RL-7, and H322.

Last edited:
Back