Smokeless ML Handgun ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBG

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I did a forum search and couldn't find a thread on this subject.

My CVA Optima V2 pistol can push a 400 grain bullet at 1300+ fps with max charges of T7-2F or BH209. I think the only way to significantly increase the KE from short 12–16-inch ML hunting handgun barrels would be to use smokeless powders, heavier bullets and possibly larger bores.

Are there any gunsmiths building or experimenting with smokeless ML handguns?

I have not heard of any but one could possibly convert a contender barrel.

I've been thinking about the same. I'd go rem, XP100 center grip, probably in 45 cal. I have a rear grip in 35 rem, shoots to good to mess with. One of my first projects when I hit the lottery.

I've been thinking about the same. I'd go rem, XP100 center grip, probably in 45 cal. I have a rear grip in 35 rem, shoots to good to mess with. One of my first projects when I hit the lottery.
I would do a Rem 700 223 action. I would do a straight bull barrel for the weight around 16in. It wouldn't be a 45 but a 40. I would do a full form die. Put it in a rear grip stock. That was not even putting that much thought into it....😀

Just waiting ,, we'll try to put it together this year of course you can always take the back of it off just hold the pistol grip if you want,,, Brownells had this on sale couldn't pass it up I wanted a smokeless pistol/carbine for a long time!

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_123930559.jpg
    IMG_20220204_123930559.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 24
Any Remington short action or Remington clone ,, the front of the chassis limit you to just slightly larger than a 1 in barrel which would be fine I think it would make a perfect 45 Cal fast twist pistol.

I did a forum search and couldn't find a thread on this subject.

My CVA Optima V2 pistol can push a 400 grain bullet at 1300+ fps with max charges of T7-2F or BH209. I think the only way to significantly increase the KE from short 12–16-inch ML hunting handgun barrels would be to use smokeless powders, heavier bullets and possibly larger bores.

Are there any gunsmiths building or experimenting with smokeless ML handguns?
I'm not a CVA expert, but is the Optima and Accura the same frame? I just recently did a few Accura replacement barrels that are smokeless capable. I heard Optima was the same. So a shorter barrel may be all you need. If so, I might just have that.

Attachments

• 20220103_165327.jpg
    20220103_165327.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 33
You probably know this, but you need a non designated action. You can turn a handgun into a rifle but not the other way around. Why I was thinking XP100. Instead of buying a action and going from there, comp some money back selling parts.

I'm not sure that applies to muzzleloading guns,, however I'm going to build mine on a single shot action that I purchase it had no barrel on it from what I understand it will be legal then. The action is never had a centerfire barrel on it..

I'm not a CVA expert, but is the Optima and Accura the same frame? I just recently did a few Accura replacement barrels that are smokeless capable. I heard Optima was the same. So a shorter barrel may be all you need. If so, I might just have that.
I don't know about the Optima and Accura frames either. My Optima is a V2 pistol. Years ago, I think I read that the Optima rifle and pistol have a slightly different frame shape in the grip attachment area, but I haven't been able to find that source again.

With a factory barrel length of 14" overall, I don't think there would be any legal problems for a barrel swap, but I'm not an attorney. I'll be checking into my state, local and DCNR laws.

Thank you for the valuable information, it sounds very promising.

I don't know about the Optima and Accura frames either. My Optima is a V2 pistol. Years ago, I think I read that the Optima rifle and pistol have a slightly different frame shape in the grip attachment area, but I haven't been able to find that source again.

With a factory barrel length of 14" overall, I don't think there would be any legal problems for a barrel swap, but I'm not an attorney. I'll be checking into my state, local and DCNR laws.

Thank you for the valuable information, it sounds very promising.

If you are going to increase the energy, you are also going to increase the recoil.

You might want to consider the fact that a good muzzle brake will decrease the recoil by about 50%.

It would be sad to up with a hand cannon that hurts your wrist every time you shoot it. That is not my idea of fun.

You might want to consider building a rifle with a 16" barrel, especially if you are leaning toward a high velocity smokeless muzzleloader. Then you can avoid all of the ATF questions. Unfortunately, many of those who now work for ATF have a political agenda. They are trying to put pistol "braces" on the chopping block.

I have a Savage Stiker pistol, but I am not going to put one of my muzzleloader barrels on it due to the recoil.

I'm going to try with a 14 inch barrel I might put a break on it later it's a 50 cal brux 1 and 28 twist,, going to shoot 4759 light load,, I'm going to shoot it with that little carbine format first before I take the back of the stock off and shoot it with the pistol grip I'm going to ease into it very carefully,, if it is a little too snappy I can always just shift to a black horn or other subs.

I've got a buddy in Michigan that has a Rem 700 short action in a chassis with a 16" 40 cal barrel smokless for sale. He got the barrel from Hankins but I'm not sure if Hankins did the whole build or just sold him the barrel. Anyway, he loves it but he said he's limited to the powders he can use to get the velocity he's after and he can't find a 40 cal bullet heavy enough to suit him. Just passing it along.

Back