Spotting Scope...Fixed or Variable?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions from the guys who hunt with a spotting scope. I'm looking at getting one for hunting Mulies, I want to know if I would be unhappy with a fixed 20X vs getting a 15-45X variable. This is the power range I've decided on, mostly to help judge trophy quality at longer ranges and search for hidden bucks. Any feed back would be appreciated.

I'd certainly be completely happly with a Kowa with a 20X eyepiece. I like my Leupold Wind River 15-45. It does most things I'd ask of a spotting scope. Saying THAT...if I wanted a spotting scope for judging GAME...I'd probably want a step up in optics... Kowa are great scopes and they make 20X, 25X, and 30X fixed powder eyepieces and a 20-60X I think. If spotting game I'll use my Swarovski 20-60X80 STS-80..

To Big 6x6 I have noticed you have some quality glass in scope, spotting scopes and binocs. Sometime you will have to give us a comparison as how they work, clarity, ability to see at twilight etc. I have wanted to upgrade some of my glass but do not have ready access to many quality binoculars to compare. Perhaps you have a site that compares them. Did not want to hijack this site but others may have similar questions. In hindsight I should have started a new topic. Sorry

I have used an old Bushnell Sentry 2 fixed-power spotting-scope for about 45 years, mostly when looking at western USA game from the truck. I have 20x, 32x and 48x eye-pieces for it. I believe the optics are not as good as they once were. A friend has an old Redfield benchrest scope and I'll put it against any other for clarity. If I had to get another, I would surely look at Swaroski ( sp.).

jims said:
To Big 6x6 I have noticed you have some quality glass in scope, spotting scopes and binocs. Sometime you will have to give us a comparison as how they work, clarity, ability to see at twilight etc. I have wanted to upgrade some of my glass but do not have ready access to many quality binoculars to compare. Perhaps you have a site that compares them. Did not want to hijack this site but others may have similar questions. In hindsight I should have started a new topic. Sorry

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26

DN...
One other point...One thing you REALLY want is a good tripod. A great spotting scope is practically useless without a great tripod. The ONLY way to go is Bogen/Manfrotto. One product I learned about while in Texas was the Bogen/Manfrotto 3265 grip action ball head. The head is what the spotting scope mounts to. The 3265 is a "pistol grip" style head that when you squeeze the grip your are able to move the spotting scope to practically infinite positions. That thing was simply the cats meow! No more moving/adjusting on two planes, vertical and horizontal.. Just squeeze, move, release.

In Texas, Randy Slaughter used a Leica Geovid 77 coupled to that tripod/head and and that was a GREAT outfit! I actually liked the way the Leica focuses as complared to my Swarovski STS-80.

2006huntingpics%20117_1.jpg

Have you tried the new Zeiss Chuck? I had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time behind one this past August on a Stone sheep hunt and was impressed to say the least. I actually prefered it over the Swarovski but both a fine, fine chunks of glass.

One other point...One thing you REALLY want is a good tripod.

Thanks Chuck, I was wondering about that as well! So, I'll take that advice and run with it, but I'm a bit on the fence about how much I can/ want to spend on a spotting scope. At the low end I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite compact 15-45X 60mm and on the high end the Leupold golden ring 12-40X 60mm. To be honest, the Leupold is out of my price range, but I'm looking at this as a long term one time purchase, and I'd like to get something I am happy with, not settled for. Anyone have experience with the Bushnell Elite. I've been very happy with my 4200 scope and felt, for the money, the Elite Spotting Scope might be a good alternative for me with few (if any) sacrifices in quality. Opinions?

DeerNut said:
One other point...One thing you REALLY want is a good tripod.

Thanks Chuck, I was wondering about that as well! So, I'll take that advice and run with it, but I'm a bit on the fence about how much I can/ want to spend on a spotting scope. At the low end I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite compact 15-45X 60mm and on the high end the Leupold golden ring 12-40X 60mm. To be honest, the Leupold is out of my price range, but I'm looking at this as a long term one time purchase, and I'd like to get something I am happy with, not settled for. Anyone have experience with the Bushnell Elite. I've been very happy with my 4200 scope and felt, for the money, the Elite Spotting Scope might be a good alternative for me with few (if any) sacrifices in quality. Opinions?

Hey Deernut, I use a Bushnell Elite all the time on backpack sheep hunts. It's lightweight, compact and a great spotting scope for the money!

Hey Deernut, I use a Bushnell Elite all the time on backpack sheep hunts. It's lightweight, compact and a great spotting scope for the money!

Awesome, that's exactly what I am looking for, something that's light and compact. I prefer to use a Fanny pack (Badlands....awesome fanny by the way) and try to keep my weight and bulk to a minimum. Thanks for the feed back!

jims wrote:

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26

In regards to the thread mentioned above...I took BIG6x6's advice and got a pair of the Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42's. I give them full credit in helping to make my 2005 NY shotgun season a success, helping me to take a nice 8pt. The full story is posted here...

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/vie ... php?t=1960

Does THAT scope look like this Bausch and Lomb Elite 15-45X60(First one in picture)? Probably the same scope...

big6x6 said:

Does THAT scope look like this Bausch and Lomb Elite 15-45X60(First one in picture)? Probably the same scope...

What picture?

sheephunterab said:
Yup...that looks just like the one I have!

Okay...I just looked at Bushnells current line-up of spotting scopes...the THEN Baush and Lomb Elite 15-45X60 62-1548P that I tested is the same as the CURRENT Bushnell Elite 15-45X60 78-1548P.

As for the Elite 15-45X60.....It's FORTE is compactness. THAT it has in SPADES! A lot if optics in a little package. Throw it in your backpack and you'd hardly ever know it... Really good optics although I couldn't tell them from the less espensive, albeit BULKIER Leupold Wind River Sequoia 15-45X60. The one issure I had with the Elite was focusing. The focusing adjustment is at the eyepiece...that's a lot of leverage against the tripod head and the adjustment was pretty stiff making focusing at 45X a little aggravating. BUT...if compactness/portability is an issue...the Elite is a really good scope.

PERSONALLY....I'd 10X rather have a Kowa TSN-600 with your choice of eye pieces. With a 20-60 eyepiece your looking at about $620.00 US. Give it a look see.... :D

Kowa TSN-600

Latest posts

Back