Stealth G42NG game camera

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Stealth G42NG game camera. We mess d around with different settings yesterday and night. This is only the second camera system I have used. The other one is an older Moultrie unit and its biggest issue the 1 min reset time for the next pic. The Stealth blows that away with a 5 sec reset and can shoot in burst mode. It is hard to compare the two units as they are so much different. But similar cameras are available for $50-$60 where as the Stealth was $110. The Stealth G42NG has been discontinued for the 2016 model line which accounts for its cheaper price. The biggest complaint I see of the Stealth is that night time pictures can be blown out. There are fixes available but this doesn't bother me as much as I'm trying to pattern deer for hunting during the day not just antlers.

"The biggest complaint I see of the Stealth is that night time pictures can be blown out."

I'm ignorant about game cameras. I don't understand what you mean by "blown out". Please explain.

IR burn is what the technical term used on the camera forums. It has 42 LED's for the flash and it will create a bright white spot on objects that are close to the camera. So if it goes off on something less than 8-9' away it will be bright white. This only happens on night pictures. The images during the day are 10 mp and look great. 
My buddy was given the Moultrie and we started with that. It lacks some features so went up a level to the Stealth. The 5 sec refresh with 3-9 picture burst is nice. Helps identify which way the animal came in and went. The 1 minute misses all of that or multiple deer coming through. I dont have a feeder setup so deer are just going through.

If I were to put one out, it would be stolen within a week.
I noticed one next to a dim road on a public area. It was encased in a welded steel box with a protected padlock. It probably was secured to the tree with lag screws. The box probably cost almost as much as the camera.

Mine is on public land but always back from the road and inside a steel box with a lock chained to a tree. We have been going to this area since season ended in early January scouting. We have yet to have it messed with or picked anyone up on camera. 
Where one of my buddies hunts is also on public land but closer to the edges of private and he has people walk in several times a year. He will not put a camera out because the locals may find it and have time to come back and get it. It is less likely in my area but still could happen.

I bought a Browning game camera and it doesn't do too bad for close up photos as far as IR Burn.  Below is a deer just in my muzzleloader range.  :D

IMG_0010_zpsghhlzwmn.jpg

That looks good to me!  Some guys are blocking most of the LED's to limit the burn. Once we have had some time in the field with it I will have a better idea.

i've owned numerous Stealth game cameras:  They  worked well except for a model Q8X that gave some problems.  i like the model P 14.  We set them on Custom and leave them there.  Infrequently a picture is burned out.

Back