Steep angles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
i set my one of my late season ml stands on a steep hill. creak on bottom and field on top. it's about 125 yards total. this hill is steep!! and heavily wooded. around 65degrees i'd guess. i have my stand almost exzactly half way. question is do you think i am going to have to compinsate at all when aiming up the hill or down?

03mossy

Angle does cause an adjustment? Most good range finders have a compensation scale built in. The bigger issue will be the distance to the target and the then angle. The greater the distance and angle the greater the factor....

Think I have a pic to demonstrate this from my Sierra Manual... Oops not on this computer gotta switch.... Hope this might help

Trajectory.jpg

depending on how far out, you might have a tendency to shoot high. What I do is aim low but not out of the kill zone. That way, even if a little high, your still in there.

If you have a rangefinder that does not compensate for the angle, all is not lost. You can shoot a measurement to a tree at eye level that grows from where you expect your shot (assuming it is growing straight up) and this will be the correct distance. Depending on how high you have your mz sighted in, it would not make much of a difference.

Latest posts

Back