Stiff load with a 1:48 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Testing out some Olde Eynsford 2fg charges today at 100 yards. Im pretty happy!

The first 3 shots was using 12 o clock aim due to the sun being out and my eyes watering badly ( sensitive to sun light) I just left a sliver of orange when shooting. The next 3 shots in the bulls were were at 6 o clock hold once the clouds came out to cover the sun. Huge relief!!

90gr 2fg OE
.020" patches ( no swabbing )
.490" round balls ( 50/50 mix )

This was using my Traditions St.Louis Hawken with a 1:48 twist. I think its a pretty damn good group for such a heavy load of powder. This load shoots aprox 12 FPS faster than 100gr 2fg Goex. The bulls eye is 3" diameter for size reference.
IMG_9218.jpg

Id take all 6 shots on any game animal. Those traditions shoot. I have seen some custion rifles not shoot that good !!!

I'll take that group any day! When I shoot at a 100 yards with my .58 the front sight blade will cover all of that 10 ring and a little more.  To settle in with a nice pattern like you have is great shooting!

Amazing groups with that formula.  ( :roll: ...Wish I could shoot traditional like that at 100.)

FrontierGander said:
.020" patches ( no swabbing )
.490" round balls ( 50/50 mix )
My long experience with 1:48 in a wide array of calibers, and both deep and shallow rifling, sezz the key to your great accuracy lies right there. You don't mention how much effort is needed to start that combo, but I bet it's "tightish." Easy loading and accuracy don't go together all that well, especially if your rifling is shallow. If it's not pushing into the realm of needing a mallet to start the ball, you might be able to shrink groups even further with a slightly thicker patch.

Well done.

Its pretty tight at the muzzle and I have to give the short starter a wood wack. Once it goes in, its a nice firm push down to the powder. I don't think I could get a thicker patch in but you never know!

Sounds perfect to me. I know guys who use loads so tight they have to use a mallet to start them....  All for another half inch of accuracy. Might be fine for the range, but it's sure not something I want in the field.

BrownBear said:
Sounds perfect to me. I know guys who use loads so tight they have to use a mallet to start them.... 
I've had a few of them when starting to load with to thick a patch, then it won't pull out and you hope the mallet method gets the ball all the way down on the powder charge. Have had a few customers try and sell or trade us a gun with a swelled barrel over the years. :roll:

I have a TC Renegade, with a 1" Hawken .54 barrel. Guns is glass bedded and lock and triggers gone thru, all work done by me over 20 years ago. I shoot 105 grains of Goex 2FFG, RWS cap, and a 450 gr. Lyman Plains bullet I cast from pure lead, with a oiled veg. fiber wad underneath. Now this may seem a stout load, but as bore size increases, so must your powder charge. The only reason I shoot this heavy charge, is with a scope on to work up loads, this was the tightest shooting load, time and again. With a 2x7 TC pistol scope, mounted like a scout scope, clover leaf or all 3 bullet holes touching, is the norm for this setup. I have taken deer from 30 out to 165 yds with this rifle, and peep and open sights, has never misfired or let me down, and I have loaned to 3 of my best buddies, all 3 killed a 8 point with it!! Talk about  a lucky rifle. This setup has accounted for over 30+ deer here in KY, several in one year on some Crop Damage tags. This one will stay with me till I am buried!

skoger said:
I shoot 105 grains of Goex 2FFG, RWS cap, and a 450 gr. Lyman Plains bullet I cast from pure lead, with a oiled veg. fiber wad underneath. Now this may seem a stout load, but as bore size increases, so must your powder charge.
Try 150 grains of Goex 2FF in a .58 caliber GRRW Hawken used on buffalo, now that's a stout load we use all the time.  Just like proofing a .50 caliber TC.

Yikes.....150 grains!!! :shock:  I'd have to switch to being a lefty because after the shot my right shoulder would be broken.   :D I think 90 grains of 2F in my .58 is enough.

Latest posts

Back