Stuck vent hole liner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markthenewf

Reaction score
I seem to have a stuck vent hole liner/screw.  I was cleaning out the rifle today and decided that I'd go ahead and pop that sucker out since I had the barrel out of the stock.  It is pretty much stuck in there.

I've got a good set of screwdrivers that I use on my other firearms (don't go cheap with those suckers!) and I'm really just deforming the head slot.  I guess they didn't put any anti-seize on it during manufacture.

Any suggestions on how to get these suckers out?  I do have a stuck screw removal tool, but I was hoping there might be a less destructive method.

I use an anti seizing penetrating oil from bunnings and then put graphite paste onto the threads to assist with later removal.

Good luck mate.

Unless there is a compelling issue, you really have no reason to remove the vent liner. That should be changed, maybe, once or twice in the life of the rifle. If you bugger it up a new one will be needed.

Rifleman1776 said:
Unless there is a compelling issue, you really have no reason to remove the vent liner. That should be changed, maybe, once or twice in the life of the rifle. If you bugger it up a new one will be needed.

I've heard that but I take mine out after every shoot to clean my rifle. Its a pedersoli and is designed to be removed and I also have a spare liner in my spares tin "just in case".

IMHO it makes cleaning the rifle so much easier.

Yes, there's reasons to take it out for cleaning the pedersoli.  Most vids I've watched with people cleaning them do indeed pop the liner out.

I think I'll finish my current sighting-in processes first and then try putting some Kroil in/around it for a few days and see if that allows me to remove it.  I did order two spares a while ago, so I'm ok if I do have to replace it.

The best vent liner made is the Jim Chambers White Lightning. Once it's installed you can't remove it. It's left in until it's worn out and then an easy-out is used to get it out and replaced.

I think the Pedersoli (and other factory produced) flintlocks are made with a threaded vent liner to speed and ease the manufacturing process. The spot is marked via CNC or laser and drilled and tapped (maybe mechanically or maybe automatically). Then a vent liner is plucked from a basket full and screwed in by someone in two seconds. To me, that doesn't mean it's meant to come out for cleaning. The threads are few and the more you put them in and out the more wear they will get. Eventually they may be too loose to be safe. If you "pump" your barrel to clean it the solvent is moving rapidly in and out of the vent hole. That will clean the back and the channel pretty good. If you do not have a patent breach you may be cleaning the inside a bit when you swab the barrel. Blasting compressed air through the hole will clean it some too. Some are not removable and need to be replaced if the hole erodes to where there is excess pressure loss. On the removable type I think maybe one a year at most is ok. Definitely put some choke tube anti seize or similar on the threads if you do remove it.

I’ve been taking the vent liner out of my Pedersoli at least once a week for the last year with no apparent ill effects, but I do have a spare just in case.

I just ordered some vent screws and in the process learned that there are at least 3 sizes that look alike, an 8x1 thread, an 8x1.25 and an 5/16 x24 then there is barrilium, steel, and possibly stainless steel.  I ordered 2 years ago and went to replace it and they were wrong size, finally found the right size and ordered 4, I don't plan on burning them out, but probably messing the head up when I remove
 them.

OldMtnMan said:
The best vent liner made is the Jim Chambers White Lightning. Once it's installed you can't remove it. It's left in until it's worn out and then an easy-out is used to get it out and replaced.
You mean the drill-in extractor?  Yeah, I've got one of those.  Perhaps I'll get it out with that, but I think I'll just leave in in for the interim.  Everything is working, so no need to fuddle with it!

I had one that was stuck. I stick a toothpick in the hole and filled it with kroil out it came 24 hours later.

use plumbers tape on the vent liner threads, it helps keep them free.

Latest posts

Back