Suggested Proven 7mm Rem Mag bullet recommend for elk.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Per subject line. Loading for a friend. And of course whatever suggested would be a matter of availability. Prefer hearing from those whom have proven bullet performance on elk.

I always loaded 140 grainers. Two bull elk taken with them. Sierra spitzer bullets. Neither animal went more than twenty yards from the point of impact. Both heart/lung hits, in/out.

Many swear by Barnes and they are very accurate, but I've sworn off them due to some bad personal experiences (four bad experiences). Nosler Accubonds have worked great. And frankly, Remington green box ammunition has always been accurate and always had good terminal performance for me. Old school partitions are great on terminal performance but are not bench rest bullets (in my opinion). Good luck

I have been a Big 7MM Rem Mag Fan all of my life, I chose Barnes 140 TTSX (Tipped Triple Shock X) and 140 Nosler Accubonds for Elk, Both are Premuim Bullets

These were both recovered from Elk i Harvested, 140 Barnes TTSX, It doesn’t get any better than this :)
WtjMJEW.jpg

The only weight they lost was the little plastic tip
aRRBv8j.jpg

PFmRO3m.jpg

Thanks fellas for the replies. I agree on the partions. I’ve seen much in the way of accuracy. Accubonds a different story.
Lewis , I use TTSX in other calibers and agree it’s a performer.Thank you as always for your very informative data.
Question though. 140 over 160 grainers?

Thanks fellas for the replies. I agree on the partions. I’ve seen much in the way of accuracy. Accubonds a different story.
Lewis , I use TTSX in other calibers and agree it’s a performer.Thank you as always for your very informative data.
Question though. 140 over 160 grainers?

160s would be even better for Elk, the Bigger the Better with Elk :lewis: The main reason i chose 140s in my 7Mag was for Whitetail Deer, they shot OUTSTANDING in my Rifle so i chose to stay with them for Deer & Elk, I feel the 160s would be a Better Choice if Elk Hunting was the main focus. Elk are a Different level of Toughness, I have seen them take a LOT of Lead, The bigger the Bullet the Better :lewis:

Last edited:
I would agree with heavier bullets. Barnes, Accubonds, Partitions or many other bonded/heavy jacket bullet will do the trick. I have always been partial to Nosler bullets.

I have had really good luck getting accuracy out of partitions, but better accuracy out of Accubonds. Harvested my elk this year with 180 accubond out of the 300 win mag. That particular rifle and load has resulted in 5 one shot kills out of that rifle as I shot a cow a few years back with it. My father harvested a bull with it, I harvested my bull with it and my nephew shot two cows with it as well. All one shot, most DRT except the cow I shot went about 200 yards after I hit her through both lungs.

Sierra's I have found to be a tad explosive for my taste on heavy game like elk, but that's just personal preference. I have seen two elk shot with them, they both died, bullets didn't exit and appeared to fragment a lot.

My bull and my fathers were both high shoulder shots, broke both shoulders and out the other side. One at 250 yards the other at 320.

I carry a 7mm WSM with 160 grain Accubonds for elk, when I don't draw for a ml hunt. But if I didn't already have them in stock, these days, I would be okay with any premium 160 grain bullet. Or any 160 grain designed for big game.

I used Barnes 150gr TSX with my 280Rem on a Zebra and Kudu in South Africa. No problems at all. Zebracran about 30 yds. The Kudu died where it was standing.

I would agree with heavier bullets. Barnes, Accubonds, Partitions or many other bonded/heavy jacket bullet will do the trick. I have always been partial to Nosler bullets.

I have had really good luck getting accuracy out of partitions, but better accuracy out of Accubonds. Harvested my elk this year with 180 accubond out of the 300 win mag. That particular rifle and load has resulted in 5 one shot kills out of that rifle as I shot a cow a few years back with it. My father harvested a bull with it, I harvested my bull with it and my nephew shot two cows with it as well. All one shot, most DRT except the cow I shot went about 200 yards after I hit her through both lungs.

Sierra's I have found to be a tad explosive for my taste on heavy game like elk, but that's just personal preference. I have seen two elk shot with them, they both died, bullets didn't exit and appeared to fragment a lot.

My bull and my fathers were both high shoulder shots, broke both shoulders and out the other side. One at 250 yards the other at 320.
ditto on the explosive action of sierra's. I do not use them for hunting anymore. Accubonds and barnes are my go to bullets.

I had no expansion issues on elk using the 140 grain Sierras in my 7mag. Back in the early 70's when I shot the elk there were far fewer bullets to choose from and the 140s were used for deer at the same time as the elk were being hunted. If I were to hunt elk with that gun today I'd be using copper bullets, like a Barnes product..

For powder, I always seem to return to IMR4198 in my Remington 7mm Mag. Attached are two targets showing a couple of my loads. These were shot at 100 yds and I like to sight in a little high. I'm currently using the Accubond LRs and have been pleased with them. I've been shooting a custom-built on a BRNO Mauser action for the last 35 years.
Good luck

JB_7MM_Partition.jpgJBB_7mm_Accubond.jpg

Last edited:
Now it’s a matter of finding any of these in stock somewhere. :confused:

gle3105 - Since I've switched to Accubond LRs I have some leftovers...
I have an opened box of 150 Gr TSX BTs that has 53 bullets in it (must include part of another box). Midway lists these at $43.99/box, Powder Valley at $32.99, and MidSouth at $36.99.

TSX.jpg

I also have two unopened boxes of 150 Gr TTSX BT bullets. Midway lists these at $46.49, Powder Valley at $34.64, and MidSouth at $38.75/box. PM me and I'll let you have the box of TSXs for $37 and the TTSXs for $39 each. Plus flat rate USPS shipping of $8. Both are out of stock at all three sites. PM me...

TTSX.jpg

JB, Thanks for the offer and consideration. V Very reasonable indeed.
I’m holding out for some heavier pills though.
Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back