Suggestions.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue duck

Reaction score
I just got a new TC prohunter muzzleloader. What would be the best load to shoot in it? And what kind of scope would be good for it? Nikon or leopold. this is my first muzzleloader. So I am fairly new at this.
ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jim Mullins :)

Your new pro Hunter

First lets look at mount options. There are several mounting options available to you using the standard weaver style rings or similar slot type rings such as Weaver, millet,Warne, etc. If you decide to retain the sights on your rifle may I suggest the leopold QR (quick release) system.
This mount option requires the leopold quick release base and rings. The rings have a lever on them, just insert the rings in to the base and turn the levers down and the scope is LOCKED. If you desire or need to use you sights just turn the levers up lift the scope off and the sights are available to you. You can remount the scope with little or no change in zero. :D :D This mount system runs about $60.00

As far as scopes, you have to many options and prices. Buy the best scope you can afford. A 3X-9X is more than ample for a black powder rifle. If you opt for a leopold scope the VX-II series in my opinion has the better click adjustments than the VX-1 series. And of course you pay for this difference in click adjustment options.

As far as loads, purchase the T/C 250 grain shock wave and a pound of
777 loose powder in 2f and some primers. Start measuring you powder
at 95 grains working up in 5 grain incrememnts. The T/C clear view
powder measurer in calibrated in 5 grain increments. Some where
between 95 grains and 115 grains of 777 loose powder you SHOULD
find an accuracy load.
You can also use some 50 gr pellets to get your rifle on paper and try them as well.

Be sure to clean in-between shots with a spit patch (mouth wet) and you should generally clean after a 3 shot group and be sure to dry your barrel.

Good luck....

Welcome to the board Jim!

Mr. choc-dog is giving some good advice.

IF I had a new ProHunter I would certainly use the Maxima base with Maxima QD rings:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307429

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00223201LM

Both are available at places other than Midsouth but at least you know what to look for..

As far as scopes go...yes buy the best one you can afford. Personally, I have had great luck with both Nikon and Leupold. I have no experience with the Nikon Omega but I really like the Monarch series. But..if the Pro Hunter were mine..I'd stick a Leupold on it of some sort...probably sticking a 3-9X40 in either a VX-I or VX-II model depending on which I could afford. I have both the VX-I and VX-II 3-9X40s and both are good scopes.

As far as loads go...most seem to have good luck with the 250gr Shockwave..and I'd probably go with that and as choc-dog said some loose ffg Triple Se7en...100gr to 110gr ought to do it...

Good Luck with your new Pro Hunter!

Thank guys i will try it . What would be the best mounts ,i dont want to shim it let me know.

thanks jim

I have a Pro-Hunter with a Nikon Omega scope that I put Leupold QR base and rings on. I also have the same base and rings on an Encore. I purchased slave screws from TC and took off both the front and rear sites and this makes a very sharp looking rifle out of both models. I killed 5 Missouri deer this year with the Pro-Hunter using 3 - 777 pellets in 50 grains, Win 777 Primers and 250 grain Shockwaves. The Omega scope with BDC reticle works as advertised with this load out to 250 yards.

Curtis

Wow - 5 notches in your butt stock

coh-1,

You have had an excellent year with your Encore. It appears you used your pro hunter in every season with 5 kills. Once you get used to a one shot rifle having a repeater seems out of place.

Choc-dog

no shims needed

Blue Duck,

I never as of yet had to shim a leopold mount used on a T/C muzzleloader and I have done 7 Encores/Pro hunters with the Leopold QR
system.

I did have to shim a Encore 20 gauge slug barrel just on the rear screw
but T/C has replaced that barrel since.

6X6 choice of T/C maxima rings and bases is an excellent choice as well......you have to choose. I am going to use the T/C maxima rings and bases on the new pro hunter 25-06 barrel that Grouse (Tom) found for me.

Choc-dog

choc doc,

I hunt in Missouri where there is unlimited over the counter tags and also participated in a special management hunt where only muzzleloaders were allowed. Missouri has a regular gun season where any weapon can be used, a muzzleloader season and an antlerless season. BP is about all I've used the last 3 years and it is more enjoyable for me.

Curtis

what kind of group at 250yd. .curtis. iam thinking hard on nikon omega scope. :D :D :D :p

Jim,

I never really shot for a group at 250 yards with my Pro-Encore and Omega scope, I just blasted about 6 or 7 pumpkins set out in a field. If you have seen the Omega scope ad on TV or the scope in person with the BDC, you just need to put the small 250 yard circle on your target and pull the trigger once sighted dead on at 100 yards. (At least it was that easy for me.) I do plan to experiment this spring for actual groups on all the BDC ranges on the scope.

Curtis

I am not much of a Nikon man, I wish leopold would give us a BDC scope
is the near future. One for you 3 pellet shooters and one for us 100 grain loose powder shooters.

I think the market is big enough that they leopold will, but it takes them 2 years to do it right. Look at how long before they had a range finder that would fit in your pocket.

curtis

those poor pumpkins. thanks curtis iam going to try your load . andn see what happen thanks . :D :D

jim

HUNT HARD HUNT LONG

Back