Sunday's Florida Match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
Last Sunday, I was able to go to a nice match hosted by Central Florida Muzzleloaders
The East Florida Rangers and staff of the Florida Muzzleloaders Association were in attendance. 
The match was held at Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club

It was a beautiful day as shown in the following photograph. But, it was bloody hot.

O5fVJv.jpg

You know you are in Florida when you're making smoke while wearing shorts, sandals and frontier garb

Some folks stayed for the match only. Others stayed the day. There was casual socializing, 
a cookout, black powder shooting, archery, knife and hawk throwing, and card play. A few beers 
were known to be consumed under the Beer Tree after the guns were put away.
PLzasc.jpg

In good company...

It was a day of firsts for some. TWO new shooters were added to the Black Powder rolls. Both were women. 
Janie is shown below just after her first shot went off.

DTjpra.jpg

Janie's got a GUN!

Folks of all ages and genders made smoke and had fun... 

SIqG3U.jpg

It ain't easy, making look this easy

9TYK6N.jpg

Pray harder and load faster!

oSiJJr.jpg

This much cute should be regulated

0GxlaD.jpg

"Herb, I got to tell ya,' that beard looks great on you, but I can't look at it without wanting to scratch..."

65d0bM.jpg

And then he tried to tell me he was the better shot! 

3nuxlM.jpg

Ask me about mermaids. Go on. I dare you
(a bit of an inside joke involving the carving on the body of his horn)

bXSchn.jpg

One day they'll be glad I was on the look out for pirates

The Central Florida Muzzleloaders were founded in 1981 (oe, 1980). Here, our only surviving founding member 
of the club, Richard 'Master of the Smoothbore,' sends lead down range. CORRECTION: Frank Woods and Don 
Schafer hosted the very first Central Florida Muzzleloader match with Richard. Frank and Don are still 
very much 'surviving.'
JthrUh.jpg

I am the only one with this cool vintage shirt!

The shooting match was very competitive. Below we have the winning junior shooter. 
He also finished third overall in Men's Main Rifle.
74srGs.jpg

The Big Gun

In case you were wondering, I shot terribly. I was one of the ones young David outshot. :( ;)
But, I had fun losing. Black powder on the range is best enjoyed in good company.

I hope this was enjoyable to you.

KC what service are you using for your pictures now? Nice and clear, good detail.

Are you planning on attending the 2017 GRRW - GRRW Collectors Association Rendezvous on Sept. 23rd 2017 ? 
I have done everything I can do for now.  Everyone is aware of this event. I am now talking to folks in Roosevelt and here about this affair. Have gunsmiths lined up so it should be a fun time for all.

Buck

It is great to see the big smiles on people's faces. It is even better to see the smiles associated with muzzleloader activities!
Thanks for posting the photos, Colonel!
Ron

Thanks, Ron. 8)

Buck, I have been thinking about that HARD. I was about to send you a couple questions about it. 
It is an event I sorely want to attend. I would like to meet all those folks. It sounds like a hell of a time. 
There are some challenges for me that I have not figured out how to over-come, yet. But, I have not written it off.

But, let me ask... You called it a Rendezvous. 
*Is this a frontier garb event? 
*Is the ML weekend hunt on private property, or is it public with out of state tags, etc? 
*"I can put you in an 8000 ft. high..." Is this a camping thing? I know hotels were mentioned.

Have you posted the event here? If not, can I post the e-mail I got? I imagine a few folks have questions.

PS. (Chuckle) If I get to go, I am SO gonna feel like a tender-foot!

PPS. I am using what RonC suggested. Imageshack.com

Kentucky Colonel said:
Thanks, Ron. 8)

Buck, I have been thinking about that HARD. I was about to send you a couple questions about it. It is an event I sorely want to attend. I would like to meet all those folks. It sounds like a hell of a time. There are some challenges for me that I have not figured out how to over-come, yet. But, I have not written it off.

But, let me ask... You called it a Rendezvous. 

The original name was GRRW Rendezvous used a few years ago for a two day event. Not the rendezvous term we think of - poor name choice in my opinion should have used "Gathering" or ??? 

The collectors tried to do this get-together several times since then but failed with poor timing. Hunting season, Colorado Collectors Show and kids school events.

*Is this a frontier garb event? 

Some will do so, but most will be in regular street/work wear KC.

*Is the ML weekend hunt on private property, or is it public with out of state tags, etc?

He is talking about his property just outside of Roosevelt - has his own private range that local clubs use. The hunting he mentioned was the Utah Muzzleloading Season starts the following weekend.

*"I can put you in an 8000 ft. high..." Is this a camping thing? I know hotels were mentioned.

Doc was talking about different locations to shoot the guns, not camping. It's only a one day affair, which is to bad for those like yourself traveling so far.

We have a half dozen of the original gunsmiths coming, some in their early 80's now. They do have some funny stories to tell - WOW.   The one I like was Carl Walker and Gardall Powell loaded Lloyd Helm's fancy meerschaum pipe with black powder. Lucky it had that drop in the stem like the Sherlock Homes pipe.   Doc said he walked in as Lloyd lit the pipe "It blew up in his face, once Lloyd recovered in a few minutes he grabbed a barrel and chased Carl and Gardall around the back lot swinging the barrel. All I could think of was hospital".

Have you posted the event here? If not, can I post the e-mail I got? I imagine a few folks have questions.

Why don't you post the flyer I just sent out with the calendar and a little history of Roosevelt.

Most don't realize the town sits on an Indian Reservation ground who tried to throw the whites out, then figured out who would run the business, this was years ago.

PS. (Chuckle) If I get to go, I am SO gonna feel like a tender-foot!

Many of these guys have forgot more than most would remember, but never mention anything and just try to help the new guys which goes over very nicely with everyone.

Back