swiss black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby

Reaction score
what would be the max. load for swiss 2f black powder out of a tc encore & impact?

T/C claims a max load of 150gr but i would never use any BP load even near that. Its not needed and a waste of a good powder unless you are shooting a 8 bore :D

Stick with common T7 or even Pyrodex load data with Swiss and you will be in the ball park. Its more powerful than any Pyro but a bit less than T7. Pretty close though depending on bullet weight.

As GM said, 150 is the max in the owners manual.

You will find the most accurate load to be 90 to 120 saboted loads and 70 - 100 for shooting Conicals.

My Omega which would have a similar barrel loves 100 grains of T7 or BH209 and many bullets from 250 to 300.

Due to the quality of the rifle I am positive it could shoot 150 grains of even Swiss black powder. But the question you need to ask is no what is the most powder I can stuff down the barrel. The question is how much powder should I stuff down the barrel for the best accuracy.

If your Encore was shooting excellent with 150 grains of powder, and you liked the recoil, then I would start my bullet testing at 100 grains and start working the load up from there. Swiss is a very powerful and clean burning black powder. I would guess if you get a load of 120 grains and it is accurate.. you have a load that is awesome. More power then you need and able to fire and take down anything you want to hunt.

I love Swiss powder. In flintlocks, its just hard to beat. Even my White Rifles like Swiss powder. But being a cheap skate, I opt for the less expensive, and less powerful black powder. Only because I never saw the need to shoot large magnum powered load.

You also have to keep in mind that even though Swiss is cleaner than Goex. It's in no way what you can call clean compared to subs. It's still black powder, and the more you use. The more fouling you'll have.

You'll be swabbing a lot.

Swiss is the ONLY powder i dont mind cleaning just because it is so consistent and the fouling is soft. Forget peak fps, enjoy the low extreme spreads and standard deviations. I don't feel any powder can match it in those areas except maybe Olde Eynsford which i have not tried yet. Plus it is so easy to ignite. Its an awesome slip fit conical powder. No need for a tight fit, it will go BANG every time. Always make sure your slip fit has not moved after loading or you can create a dangerous situation. I always double check when i reach my tree stand or blind if im shooting loose fitting conical.

I haven't used it much in muzzleloaders. Maybe 2-3 lbs, but I used to go through 2 cases a year shooting CAS. Sure can't afford to do that anymore.

:D I have shot only swiss for about 10 years,i shoot 100-110 grains out of my encore & impact,they are very accurate cutting holes on every shot,oh by the way i load with shock wave sabots,how would this load do on black bear?

I was planning on hunting black bear next year. I asked some of my friends who always hunt for bear, and they said bear are easy to kill. Deer loads will work. (mule deer)

I have this urge to do it with a flintlock and PRB.

rubby said:
:D I have shot only swiss for about 10 years,i shoot 100-110 grains out of my encore & impact,they are very accurate cutting holes on every shot,oh by the way i load with shock wave sabots,how would this load do on black bear?

I think the shockwaves would do very well. I'd use the 300 grain bonded shockwaves. A good load of Triple Seven and you will be good to go.

TC Hawken 50 cal. with 80 grains of FFFg Swiff behind a 348 grain Powerbelt shoots very well and kills whitetails like Thor's hammer.

70 gr of 3f Swiss will launch a 250gr XTP at 1550 and 90 will give 1600fps with a 300 from my Black Diamond XR .50 cal( 26 inch barrel). Went to Swiss exclusively. Never a second's regret. Don't worry about fouling. Swiss is easy to clean. No perchlorates ( pyrodex) and no crud ring( Triple 7).

i have shot swiss for years in my flintlocks,but recently started shooting in my in-lines shoots great,have never shot anything but real black powder :D

Back