T/C Black Diamond pistol( new pics added 2/11/14 final look)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I went and cut my walnut stock on my Black Diamond :( also cut barrel down to 14.5 in. from back of breech plug, so about 12.5 in. of usable barrel length...not finished yet still have to get barrel refaced/crowned and finish shaping pistol grip but this gives a idea of what its going to be like, going to leave forearm full length so as to give more ramrod support..pistol weights exactly 4# w/o scope.
not sure if Im going to refinish it in walnut like it was or spray it with bedliner spray so as to make it really tough, plus might put a neat camo job on it..
Added a couple pics of the gun to show what it will look like when finished, got in a hurry after doing the pistol grip in bedliner to see what it looked like all put back together and got finger smudges in spray that wasnt completely dry.. but this shows what finished gun will look like with scope etc, not a pistol scope but serves for display purposes.. still debating weather to do tthe whole stock in black bedliner or not, any opinions welcome.

last set of pictures show gun as it will look completely finished, I cut the forearm down about 5 in. and reattached the sling stud and also positioned ramrod thimble to be soldered on, its not attached in pic yet. I think it looks alot better w/forearm cut down.. Im going to have to get another ramrod or make one as I mess up the end on the original when cutting it down.. This is last of pics until I get a scope for it and shoot it for accuracy..

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_1604.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,061
Re: T/C Black Diamond muzzleloader pistol

Very interesting project. You might find that with about 50 grains of powder and a patched roundball it will shoot pretty good. My Black Diamond XR shoots roundball with low charges pretty accurate at short ranges. That is going to be a real bear of a pistol when your all finished. I can't wait to see the finished results and the range time with it.

cayuga said:
Very interesting project. You might find that with about 50 grains of powder and a patched roundball it will shoot pretty good. My Black Diamond XR shoots roundball with low charges pretty accurate at short ranges. That is going to be a real bear of a pistol when your all finished. I can't wait to see the finished results and the range time with it.

Cant wait to get it done and try it out, just talked to a friend of mine whos friend is a custom gun maker and hes going to talk to him about refacing/crowning the barrel..it weights the same as the Optima pistol but if 4-5 in. longer I believe, seems I read the Optima was 18.5 in. long and this one is 23.5 in.. the full length forearm looks kinda wierd but was messing around with it and if a guy wanted to it could be shot like a rifle held out in front of you.I may put a small bi-pod on it,will probably rig up a camera tri-pod to use to shoot it out of a blind with.. Will probably stick with the 240 gr. xtp`s w/80-85 gr. of pyrodex rs if it still shoots them like it did before the barrel chop..May take me awhile to finish it up but will post the results when finished..

What a cool project! Keep up posted.

Make a set of padded shooting sticks and lean that thing out there and let it fly. I like it!!

Aagoonyyyy! Aagoonyyyy! A walnut stock... Hope it turns out well for you. I bought my XR as a blued /synthetic and got the last( according to the nice lady at T/C)walnut they had stock 5 years ago.I had to glass bed the rather generous inletting and there are a couple wonky areas( rounded edges etc) that would be most difficult to correct. Kinda wish i could find a proper walnut stock... Maybe even some fancy wood... Ah someday...

Confederate rifleman said:
Aagoonyyyy! Aagoonyyyy! A walnut stock... Hope it turns out well for you. I bought my XR as a blued /synthetic and got the last( according to the nice lady at T/C)walnut they had stock 5 years ago.I had to glass bed the rather generous inletting and there are a couple wonky areas( rounded edges etc) that would be most difficult to correct. Kinda wish i could find a proper walnut stock... Maybe even some fancy wood... Ah someday...

this one had really nice wood grain and it was very accurate.. hated to do it but out of 9 muzzleloaders the stock had the best shape for the pistol grip and it was the lightest... I only had 165.00 in the rifle so alot cheaper then buying a pistol... This was my 3rd Black Diamond w/walnut stock and it was by far the nicest so it really hurt to cut it up.

I really look forward to seeing the finished project.My crown was pretty much concave with a 45 degree chamfer on the bore.

junkman said:
I really look forward to seeing the finished project.My crown was pretty much concave with a 45 degree chamfer on the bore.
thanks again for the help..

dbowling said:
cayuga said:
Will probably stick with the 240 gr. xtp`s w/80-85 gr. of pyrodex rs if it still shoots them like it did before the barrel chop..May take me awhile to finish it up but will post the results when finished..

This looks like a sweet project. I have to say that I would be really suprised if you burn all that powder with a short barrel like that. I would try 50-60gr to start with.

Banerbird said:
dbowling said:
cayuga said:
Will probably stick with the 240 gr. xtp`s w/80-85 gr. of pyrodex rs if it still shoots them like it did before the barrel chop..May take me awhile to finish it up but will post the results when finished..

This looks like a sweet project. I have to say that I would be really suprised if you burn all that powder with a short barrel like that. I would try 50-60gr to start with.

The gun is basically finished now, decided to true barrel face up myself and a friend of mine had a 82 degree countersink that we crowned the barrel with, about a 41 deg. crown.. now have to get a pistol scope and shoot it...
As far as the powder burning my buddy is shooting 2 777 pellets in his Optima pistol and is getting 2 in. or less at 100 yds with it, this pistol has the exact same length barrel actually 1/2 in. longer so will just have to see, going to hunt with it so 80-85 is about min. I will use..when it was a rifle it shot great with the 80-85 gr. pyrodex w/ the 240 gr/ XTP so hopefully it will still shoot decent with that load, if not will be fun finding out what it does shoot good.

Re: T/C Black Diamond pistol( new pics showing finished look

How did you keep the muzzle square to the bore? If you are off just a little bit with the hacksaw, then the muzzle would not be true and square to the bore. A counter sink would not true up the muzzle if it was cut crooked, and would just follow the way it is cut.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just curious how you kept the cut square to the bore, or "Trued" it so it was square to the bore. :think:

ShawnT said:
How did you keep the muzzle square to the bore? If you are off just a little bit with the hacksaw, then the muzzle would not be true and square to the bore. A counter sink would not true up the muzzle if it was cut crooked, and would just follow the way it is cut.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just curious how you kept the cut square to the bore, or "Trued" it so it was square to the bore. :think:

I just refaced/squared it up on my belt sander and then with sandpaper wrapped around a file and kept checking with square until the face of bore was square...thats what about all the posts about doing it said to do if not doing on a lathe.. I guess if its wrong Ill know it, the guy who helped me do it was a machinist before he retired and he said it looked good..

dbowling said:
ShawnT said:

I just refaced/squared it up on my belt sander and then with sandpaper wrapped around a file and kept checking with square until the face of bore was square...thats what about all the posts about doing it said to do if not doing on a lathe.. I guess if its wrong Ill know it, the guy who helped me do it was a machinist before he retired and he said it looked good..

Oh Ok. Just curious. I know Brownells has a piloted hand cutter, so was not sure if you had one or how you did it. If it shoots good you'll definitely know your crown is good. Cool project.

Re: T/C Black Diamond pistol( new pics added 2/11/14 final l

Lookin pretty slick. :D

Cool :yeah:

I like it better with the shorter stock. Probably balances better too.

WV Hunter said:
Cool :yeah:

I like it better with the shorter stock. Probably balances better too.

Your right it does balance better, you wouldnt think a 4-5 in. piece of dryed out wood could make that big of difference but it did.

Took the pistol outside and shot it a couple times w/o sights just to see what the recoil was like and to be honest its not that bad... the 1st shot was with 85 gr. pyrodex rs and a 240 gr. xtp w/green sabot, it was a bi!#% to load even with short starter, not having the extra barrel length and gun to hold on to makes a big difference.... anyway recoil was stiff but not too bad, did rap my index finger on my left hand against trigger guard pretty good due to holding it wrong... next shot was same as above only with 100 gr. pyrodex rs and it was a very stiff load but not at all unmanageble especially if you keep your fingers out of the way :D , now need to come up with cash to buy a decent scope, being layed off sucks.

That is a neat looking specialty pistol. I have done some chronographing in the recent past until the rubber doughnut off of a Powerbelt smashed the screen of my Chrony. I have found out that the best type of powder to use for these specialty handguns is H777 3f loose granulation. It seems to give the best velocities.

Latest posts

Back