T/C breech plug questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
A friend of mine who owns a Pro Hunter is having ignition problems right out the box with his brand new ML, he just got the gun this January and is shooting the bore lock bullets from federal with 80g of bh209, thinking that maybe he didn't have enough pressure for the bh209 to ignite properly I loaded the rifle and fired it myself and did notice a slight delay in ignition, barely anything but there was a slight delay, he was using some fiochii primers, not sure I spelled that correctly, ther was a few shots he took that were nice and crisp ignitions but still every so often there was a delay, the bullet seemed tight enough when I loaded it and fired it, my question is does the pro hunter come with the same design breech plug as the older Encore 209x50 and the same as the omega? I have a few omegas and my dad has the encore 209x50, I didn't even think to look at the Bp to compare it to what mine are on my omega, which shoots bh209 with just about any load and any shotgun primer, my dad still use t7 with the older encore so I'm not sure how that would shoot bh209 since its been a while since I've looked at the Bp, thanks for any info, next time I take him to shoot I'm going to bring some sabot and bullet combos for him to try and see if we can solve this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelheader323 said:
A friend of mine who owns a Pro Hunter is having ignition problems right out the box with his brand new ML, he just got the gun this January and is shooting the bore lock bullets from federal with 80g of bh209, thinking that maybe he didn't have enough pressure for the bh209 to ignite properly I loaded the rifle and fired it myself and did notice a slight delay in ignition, barely anything but there was a slight delay, he was using some fiochii primers, not sure I spelled that correctly, ther was a few shots he took that were nice and crisp ignitions but still every so often there was a delay, the bullet seemed tight enough when I loaded it and fired it, my question is does the pro hunter come with the same design breech plug as the older Encore 209x50 and the same as the omega? I have a few omegas and my dad has the encore 209x50, I didn't even think to look at the Bp to compare it to what mine are on my omega, which shoots bh209 with just about any load and any shotgun primer, my dad still use t7 with the older encore so I'm not sure how that would shoot bh209 since its been a while since I've looked at the Bp, thanks for any info, next time I take him to shoot I'm going to bring some sabot and bullet combos for him to try and see if we can solve this problem

The Omega and Encore share the same plug and work perfect with BH209. The Prohunters have the speed breech which will have delays shooting BH209. He could try the federal209A and even the CCI magnum primer. If it was me, I would have the plug drilled out and put a ventliner in it. Your bullet pressures have nothing to do with your issues.

Not all Pro Hunters have the speed breach (finger) some can have the 1/2 turn plugs. I guess you can call that speed.

As stated, you'll do your friend a huge favor if you switch to one of the magnum primers. Of the many Encore platform rifles I've owned and shot BH209 from, it was always shot using CCI209M primers. Never a single time did I have a delay.
I didn't or don't remember you mentioning it but, some of the delays can and will be caused by carbon in the flash channel. Take a 1/8" drill bit and turn it BY HAND into the flash channel. This will clean any carbon from the channel assuring the entire ignition gets to the charge.

ENCORE50A said:
Not all Pro Hunters have the speed breach (finger) some can have the 1/2 turn plugs. I guess you can call that speed.

As stated, you'll do your friend a huge favor if you switch to one of the magnum primers. Of the many Encore platform rifles I've owned and shot BH209 from, it was always shot using CCI209M primers. Never a single time did I have a delay.
I didn't or don't remember you mentioning it but, some of the delays can and will be caused by carbon in the flash channel. Take a 1/8" drill bit and turn it BY HAND into the flash channel. This will clean any carbon from the channel assuring the entire ignition gets to the charge.

Encore,
Your example plug is nothing like a Prohunter plug. Pretty close to an Encore/Omega plug to be realistic. The two plugs that i know of for the Prohunters and have owned are really the same except different heads. Ones tool less and one is not. Both are long plugs and require magnum primers like you already know.

Grouse said:
ENCORE50A said:

Encore,
Your example plug is nothing like a Prohunter plug. Pretty close to an Encore/Omega plug to be realistic. The two plugs that i know of for the Prohunters and have owned are really the same except different heads. Ones tool less and one is not. Both are long plugs and require magnum primers like you already know.

The plug in the photo was to only show the OP an example of how to remove the carbon from the flash channel.

I use federal shotgun primers and follow the advise in illustration re drill bit and have never had any issues. and grouse does know what he is talking about.

Ok I'll look into getter by him some other primers and I do recall his bp being able to turn out my hand where as all mine including the encore require a tool, I also know that the plug on my roles has a concave face where the powder sits, is the pro Hunter the same way? When I explain this stuff to him Over the phone he has a hard time understanding what I'm talking about so It makes it hard for me to understand his rifle, I don't think carbon buildup is a problem seeing a we had this problem from the get go of un boxing the gun, this weekend I'm taking him again and will bring my omega along with some of my bh209 and my Barnes bullets, going to try and take out any variables and shot the same loads from each gun and see I we can find the problem, I will also try using his batch of bh209 along with the federal bullets he has in my omega and see if I have any issues, my omega always goes bang instantly

Not to beat a dead horse here, and I know it is not a T/C, but I too have had a couple of delayed ignition issues with this in my CVA Accura V2 while using the Fiocchi 616 primers. I am not saying with absolute certainty they are the cause of the issues, and I am not degrading Fiocchi 616 primers as a whole either.

That said, I have had two delayed ignition issues (out of 57 rounds sent downrange) with these primers; one instance was with the CVA Blackhorn QRBP and one was with the Western QRBP. As such, I am going to experiment with some hotter primers as well.

If you like, I can provide you with the lot number for these primers later this weekend just to see if there may have been a batch that was not up to the usual Fiocchi standard.

phenix78_99 said:
That said, I have had two delayed ignition issues (out of 57 rounds sent downrange) with these primers; one instance was with the CVA Blackhorn QRBP and one was with the Western QRBP. As such, I am going to experiment with some hotter primers as well

Both the CVA and the Western QRBP are poorly designed for BH209. Your much better off having the factory plug drilled out and put a 5/32 flame channel in with a ventliner. Ignition problems will go away right away. One misfire or delay is one to many when hunting big game and what your hunting for finally shows up and your gun doesn't do its job. Ronlaughlin did a great job on my plug and it was cheap.

ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
ENCORE50A said:

Encore,

The plug in the photo was to only show the OP an example of how to remove the carbon from the flash channel.

Ok, the OP was asking what different plugs were just stopping any confusion.

Federal 209A are the hottest, followed by the CCIMags.
Don't forget to check your flashhole for blockage also at the range. It will get restricted or plugged-up also. A medium-sized safety pin opened-up straight should be sufficient to clear any blockage, without removing the plug at the range.

Ive never had a flash hole get plugged from shooting and some of my range sessions have been very lengthy.

Flash channel, yes....Flash hole...not so much unless you pushed some fouling to it when swabbing. Since i almost never swab while shooting BH209, ive never had a flash hole become plugged during a range session.

ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
ENCORE50A said:

Encore,

I've got the half turn pro hunter plug, only problems is when carbon builds up. But on mine the drill bit only cleans right where the primer sets not down into it like the illustration shows??? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

An 1/8th" drill bit and a pin vise will clean the flash channel in the Pro Hunter plug.

It looks like this.
breach_kit.png

Twild,
I think it's so plugged up you think it's all the farther you can go. You might need to use a cordless drill or regular drill to clean it out. It could be in there like cement if you've never drilled it out before.

Grouse said:
The Omega and Encore share the same plug and work perfect with BH209. The Prohunters have the speed breech which will have delays shooting BH209. He could try the federal209A and even the CCI magnum primer. If it was me, I would have the plug drilled out and put a ventliner in it. Your bullet pressures have nothing to do with your issues.

Grouse said:
phenix78_99 said:
That said, I have had two delayed ignition issues (out of 57 rounds sent downrange) with these primers; one instance was with the CVA Blackhorn QRBP and one was with the Western QRBP. As such, I am going to experiment with some hotter primers as well

Both the CVA and the Western QRBP are poorly designed for BH209. Your much better off having the factory plug drilled out and put a 5/32 flame channel in with a ventliner. Ignition problems will go away right away. One misfire or delay is one to many when hunting big game and what your hunting for finally shows up and your gun doesn't do its job. Ronlaughlin did a great job on my plug and it was cheap.

This just shows how clueless you are about the Western QRBP. Western designed the flame path inside the plug exactly like the Encore/Omega concave breech plug. CVA kinda did their own thing, but real close. I would bet you haven't even seen a Western QRBP, let alone shot any loads from one.

The modified breech plug is even better with a vent liner IMO, and some of us can modify our own plugs.

I have never had a hiccup from any of the plugs, and all I shoot in the CVA is Blackhorn 209.

I hope you don't think people are dumb enough to hang on your every word, because you surely don't know what you are talking about half the time.

The poorly designed breech plug was the Lehigh Version 1 breech plug. IIRC, you had something to do with that. :lol:

Busta said:
Grouse said:

Grouse said:
phenix78_99 said:

This just shows how clueless you are about the Western QRBP. Western designed the flame path inside the plug exactly like the Encore/Omega concave breech plug. CVA kinda did their own thing, but real close. I would bet you haven't even seen a Western QRBP, let alone shot any loads from one.

The modified breech plug is even better with a vent liner IMO, and some of us can modify our own plugs.

I have never had a hiccup from any of the plugs, and all I shoot in the CVA is Blackhorn 209.

I hope you don't think people are dumb enough to hang on your every word, because you surely don't know what you are talking about half the time.

The poorly designed breech plug was the Lehigh Version 1 breech plug. IIRC, you had something to do with that. :lol:

If I owned an Omega I would still modify it as well. The BH209 QRBP is poorly designed and anytime you want to challenge me with that plug you let me know. I'll make the same plug with a 5/32 flame channel and a vent. I actually already have the plug. As a matter of fact lets just put some money up on it. Guys like you like to shoot off there mouth then run, let's see if you'll back it up.

As far as version 1 plug, I'll definitely take all the blame for it not being as good as version 2. I never said I was an engineer and never will be. And I also made sure everyone who bought a version 1 plug got a version 2 plug at no charge. So yes, I made a mistake and made it right by everyone. So you got me there for sure. But unlike me you don't tell the WHOLE story.

Maybe we should compare resumes in the muzzleloading world. Again you like to shoot your mouth off, why don't you put some money behind it. Let's compare who got the most ideas being used and sold currently in the ML industry.

And if you keep running your mouth, I'll gladly show everyone on this forum how a few very large companies in the ML industry feel about you. But before then, put your money we're your mouth is.

Let's just let the owner of the board hold the money and do the testing. That's a win win for you since I have no clue.

I got another idea to. You order Hal a brand new MR, and I'll order a brand new Knight from midway USA. Will see how they compare right out of the box shooting BH209, cleanliness, and accuracy. No cleaning no swabbing nothing. Just shoot her till she doesn't shoot anymore. Whichever one dies first is the loser. If that's the Knight you get both guns. If the CVA dies first I get both guns. I'm ready to order now, and I'll send money on any bets tomorrow. Let's just see how much you can back up your mouth.

Last time you did this Flounder jumped in and the thread got locked. I'm sure he will back you financially as well.

Hal,
I like to help people out in everything when I can. You make all this happen, if I win anything I'm willing to donate it all to someone in need on the board. Not sure how to find that out but I'm willing to do that. And you'll be the one holding all guns and money from both parties. :yeah: Let's try and help someone out

All and Busta, in the future can you just start another thread with all my wrongful information instead of doing it on someone else's thread? I know you need the attention and you'll get it for sure on another thread to. Your boys will post there just like here trust me.

Grouse said:
Busta said:
Grouse said:

Grouse said:

If I owned an Omega I would still modify it as well. The BH209 QRBP is poorly designed and anytime you want to challenge me with that plug you let me know. I'll make the same plug with a 5/32 flame channel and a vent. I actually already have the plug. As a matter of fact lets just put some money up on it. Guys like you like to shoot off there mouth then run, let's see if you'll back it up.

As far as version 1 plug, I'll definitely take all the blame for it not being as good as version 2. I never said I was an engineer and never will be. And I also made sure everyone who bought a version 1 plug got a version 2 plug at no charge. So yes, I made a mistake and made it right by everyone. So you got me there for sure. But unlike me you don't tell the WHOLE story.

Maybe we should compare resumes in the muzzleloading world. Again you like to shoot your mouth off, why don't you put some money behind it. Let's compare who got the most ideas being used and sold currently in the ML industry.

And if you keep running your mouth, I'll gladly show everyone on this forum how a few very large companies in the ML industry feel about you. But before then, put your money we're your mouth is.

Let's just let the owner of the board hold the money and do the testing. That's a win win for you since I have no clue.

I got another idea to. You order Hal a brand new MR, and I'll order a brand new Knight from midway USA. Will see how they compare right out of the box shooting BH209, cleanliness, and accuracy. No cleaning no swabbing nothing. Just shoot her till she doesn't shoot anymore. Whichever one dies first is the loser. If that's the Knight you get both guns. If the CVA dies first I get both guns. I'm ready to order now, and I'll send money on any bets tomorrow. Let's just see how much you can back up your mouth.

Last time you did this Flounder jumped in and the thread got locked. I'm sure he will back you financially as well.

Hal,
I like to help people out in everything when I can. You make all this happen, if I win anything I'm willing to donate it all to someone in need on the board. Not sure how to find that out but I'm willing to do that. And you'll be the one holding all guns and money from both parties. :yeah: Let's try and help someone out

All and Busta, in the future can you just start another thread with all my wrongful information instead of doing it on someone else's thread? I know you need the attention and you'll get it for sure on another thread to. Your boys will post there just like here trust me.

This is not your thread, I don't post in your threads. Why don't you back up what you said about the breech plugs I quoted in the previous post? You try to spin things every time you are challenged, into something that isn't even relevant.

I think you already proved you don't have, or have never shot a round using a Western QRBP breech plug? No? Yet it doesn't stop you from eluding to others that you have.

I have had custom breech plugs with vent liners, WAY before Lehigh ever made one. I guess you forgot where the 5/32" (#22 wire drill) diameter flame channel information came from? I also tried to supply the OAL dimension parameters for the six Knight bolt guns I had here at the time. Someone just didn't want to listen. Thus Version 2.

Steelheader323 said:

To answer your question, no, the Pro Hunter breech plug design is not the same as the Encore/Omega. These breech plugs were all designed before the introduction of Blackhorn 209 Powder. The Encore/Omega plug design will shoot Blackhorn 209 fine, up to a point. See below. They can all be improved, with slight modifications. I would suggest trying either the Federal 209A, or CCI 209M (Magnum) primers. If he needs a longer primer, then the Winchester W209 would have that advantage. Some newer lots of the Winchester W209's are as short as the Federal/CCI primers though, so ask the shop if they can measure a couple for you. They used to be in the 0.300"-0.305" range, while newer stock has been in the 0.297"-0.300"ish range.

There are a lot of rifles and breech plugs that were designed before Blackhorn 209. This doesn't mean that they cannot be made to shoot Blackhorn very well. If he want's the best results, I would check with Ron L. here on this board and see if he would modify the breech plug for a vent liner. This would also open up the flame channel from 1/8" (0.125") diameter to basically a 5/32" (actually #22 wire drill 0.157") diameter.

There is also the possibility that the primer headspace is too long for the primer he is using, thus allowing heat and pressure to leak around the battery cup. I have tested around 15 different 209 primers in several rifles, with several breech plugs, unfortunately the Fiocchi brand is one that I have not. Couldn't find any locally, so I couldn't tell you the lengths. There is a stupid simple way to determine the correct headspace in any standing breech/bolt/drop block rifle. Just simply take a UNLOADED rifle,,, measure the length of a primer,,, put it in the rifle,,, point it in a safe direction,,, fire the primer,,, remove the primer,,, measure the length again. You do the math, and that will tell you what the headspace is. In tip-up rifles, you should have a slight crush fit of the primer rim for best results. You can usually get away with 0.003" to 0.005" in most rifles, and some a little more. There is a lot of good information in this sticky, about primer lengths and saboted bullet diameters.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

If he wans to continue shooting the B.O.R. Lock MZ™ bullets, I would suggest a Vegetable Fiber Gasket Wad between the propellant and that bullet. If pressure is leaking out that end, this will tell the story immediately. He is losing pressure somewhere, just need to determine which side of the breech plug, front or back.

The pro-Hunter breech plugs have a long narrow 1/8" flame channel, and will accumulate carbon faster than a 5/32" (#22 wire drill) diameter hole will. When the carbon starts to deposit in the flame channel, it robs the heat and pressure making it to the powder. This causes a leak between the battery cup and primer pocket, because the heat and pressure will take the path of least resistance. Keeping those 1/8" diameter flame channels clear takes a little more diligence than the larger 5/32" diameter ones do. But, with your rifle, it's very easy to just tip it up and clean it out at the range with the drill bit example that Encore provided you in his post. Then just poke the flash hole with a nipple pick/wire to make sure it is also clear of carbon after the drill bit scraping.

Might not hurt to reduce one variable at a time in troubleshooting the problem, or just cover all the bases and be done with it. That rifle and breech plug can be made to shoot Blackhorn 209 reliably, I don't own one personally, but having a range just 50 steps out your back door lets you test a lot more rifles than you own. Lots of testing, and lessons learned on that bench.

Like the Farmers Insurance commercial says, "We know a thing or two, because we have seen a thing or two"!

Good luck to you and your friend. Each rifle/breech plug design has it's own learning curve but, there is no reason we cannot shorten the path to get to the goal.

Just so there is no confusion, when drilling a breech plug for a vent liner install, one would use a #21 (0.159") diameter drill bit before tapping the 10-32NF threads. You can also use that drill to go all the way through the plug making the complete flame channel that diameter if you wish. It's only 0.002" larger diameter, and speeds up the process.

Not having the OAL of the Fiocchi 209 primers, I found this graphic posted by Underclocked in that link I provided you in the previous post. It appears that the Fiocchi primers are on the shorter end, at 0.294", while the Federal/CCI's would average 0.005" longer, with Winchesters maybe a bit more. Primer fit is important. Either adjust your primer to the plug, or adjust the plug to the primer. It can be done either way, but a primer change is easiest, versus primer pocket shims. Several years ago, I introduced the primer pocket o-ring, which also works very well. I personally like a 0.002"-0.004" crush fit in straight plugs, or around 0.010"-0.015" in o-ring plugs, depending on the rifle/pistol and o-ring I'm using.

331d3jb.jpg

A few other charts as well.

142rfkj.jpg

209PrimerData.png

Latest posts

Back