T/C muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scooter079 said:
I just picked up a encore for my first inline. Any suggestions on accurizing the rifle. I traded for a old mossberg 500. Saving for a good scope then hitting the range hard all summer

As guitarpicva stated, go to Mike's web page and read EVERYTHING.

Doing the work yourself isn't that hard but, you can send the frame out to have the work completed. Tightening up that hinge pin is critical and if it move by merely finger or thumb pressure, its way to loose. Help the lock up by installing the HD locking bolt spring, get rid of the 30# stock hammer spring and go to at minimum the 44# spring. Might as well install the HD firing pin spring while you're at it. The trigger work is easy if you can work with small parts and follow the free directions. I prefer a light 2# spring. You'll end up with about $35 doing the work yourself. If you prefer to have someone else do the trigger, click on Jim Hendershot's web page. Jim does great work with a quick turn around.

It'll make your rifle feel like an entirely different rifle..........

ENCORE50A said:
Scooter079 said:
I just picked up a encore for my first inline. Any suggestions on accurizing the rifle. I traded for a old mossberg 500. Saving for a good scope then hitting the range hard all summer

As guitarpicva stated, go to Mike's web page and read EVERYTHING.

It'll make your rifle feel like an entirely different rifle..........

Totally agree.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Hey guitarpic your submit button get stuck? LOL I'll delete a few for you.

03mossy said:
Hey guitarpic your submit button get stuck? LOL I'll delete a few for you.

Yeah Tapatalk or the server was misbehaving this morning. Thanks for the cleanup!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

In rereading this post I am amazed at the excellent information provided. I have been shooting muzzle loaders since the 70's and wish I had such a rich source of information as provided in this forum when I first started. Whenever I had a problem I just figured it out with the help of a buddy - trial and error.

I have one more suggestion: after you have read everything on Mike Belem's and finished tuning up. I would suggest that you practice at least once every month. My routine is to set up round targets on tomato stakes at 50, 100, 125, 150, 200, 250, and three hundred yards. Shoot from field potions and not off the bench. I shoot from all positions with extra attention to the use of shooting sticks because both on the farm and in the mountains I like to find vantage points and shoot from the ground. I also do a lot of hunting from tree stands. You will quickly learn to use stands that provide good rests.

I use a Leopold ultimate slam scope in conjunction with a range finder that takes a lot of the guess work out of range estimation. Any scope will work and as you practice you will find that your range estimation gets very good as well as learning the hold over for different ranges. Tune your rifle, shoot a whole lot as I have suggested and I guarantee that you will have a very good year. I only expect to get one shot at a trophy deer per year. Sometimes I am lucky and get more then one but I do not want to miss the rare opportunity that pops up. Again just my opinions and suggestions. But poor shot placement is (my opinion) is the real problem with killing deer as we have many fine muzzle loaders on the market. If you still need convincing - stop by a game check-in station next year and observe the deer brought in but be prepared for the strong smell of guts. Good luck

Mtns2Hunt said:
... But poor shot placement is (my opinion) is the real problem with killing deer as we have many fine muzzle loaders on the market...

Agreed. No excuses about the guns any longer. Even a noob can make one be minute of deer for a clean kill. Practice, practice, practice.

Back