T/C Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
Looking to get into the long range muzzle loading game. What can you tell me about the scout?

What do you consider long range? For truly long range, you want a fixed barrel platform. The less movement there is between the barrel and action the more accuracy you'll see at longer ranges. For rifles currently on the market you'd want to look at the Remington UML, CVA Paramount, or a Knight. If your looking to keep it around three hundred or less you can get away with some of the better break actions.
Were it me I would not choose a scout. You may well be a better shot than I and therefore may be able to get better use out your equipment. If you already have a scout you won't do yourself a disservice if you go out and spend some time at the range trying to see what you can get it to do.

Anything over 100 yards is long range for me. I currently shoot a T/C Hawken with a green mountain 1:66 round ball barrel.

You could look for a faster twist barrel for your Hawken and just swap them out when necessary.
Currently, I'm having great fun with my TC Firehawk. Unfortunately no longer in production, but the striker fired Knights are. Hard to find a striker fired that isn't accurate. They're legal everywhere and you can use the powder and caps you already have. Commonality of supplies is wonderful!
I've used a number of different inline designs and consider the striker fired designs to be the best. Of those, I consider the TC Thunderhawks and Firehawks to be the best of the bunch. No removable breechplug is fine by me. Personally, I think it was a solution in search of a problem. They can be found used for very reasonable prices, and are superb shooters.
Good fortune to ya

For just hunting pretty much any new inline is more than adequate out to around 150yards. After around $300 you are simply paying for extra features and better build quality. A very good compromise for under $300 is the CVA Optima V2. Comes in stainless with a scope mount. Add the optional breach plug and you are right around $300 for a gun that will more than likely shoot just fine.

When you start taking about 200 yards and beyond, just spend the money. Save yourself the aggravation. Buy whats a proven winner in inline shooting matches. Not one of these so called LR models with 30" barrels you see in sponsored reviews have stepped up to that plate and done squat. Not a single one i can find but there is one that looks really interesting in 45cal.

Back