TC Omega cleaning question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly

Reaction score
I find it a bit easier to clean my Omega with the barrel removed from the stock. I have a scope on it and it's been brought to my attention that this could change the POI. Any thoughts? :think:

Me, i have no idea whether it would be easier for me to clean an Omega if the barrel has been removed from the stock. Reason is, cleaning my Omega (s) is easy for me, whether they have a scope mounted, or not. I have only cleaned the rifles with barrels mounted in their stocks. It is my opinion Omega rifles are the easiest of any muzzle loader to clean.

Don't actually know if the poi would change if the stock is removed, but it does seem possible. It does seem the poi would most likely remain the same, if the barrel and stock are maintained as a unit.

Do yourself a favor and get a set of Leupold QRW rings. I use them on all my muzzleloaders. Take scope off for cleaning so it’s out of the way and the scope is always the same poi when it goes back on. Omegas are easy to clean and with the scope out of the way it makes it even easier.

You could bed the action and install aluminum pillars. I’ve never done it to an omega so I’m not sure how easy or hard it would be. On my Remington 700ML’s, it was fairly easy and I have no POI changes after removing the stocks.

BuckDoeHunter said:
You could bed the action and install aluminum pillars. I’ve never done it to an omega so I’m not sure how easy or hard it would be. On my Remington 700ML’s, it was fairly easy and I have no POI changes after removing the stocks.

Bedding and pillars not really necessary on Omega. Just consistent torque on the 2 screws. Bestill can advise on how best to make it stock fit and friendly.

W

Will removing the barrel from the stock change the POI???

Leaving the barrel, and the stock fastened together, will not change the POI.......!!!!

Cleaning the rifle with a scope, and stock in place is easier with the Omega than any other rifle. Just my opinion....... :mrgreen:

Since you seem bound, and determined to take your rifle apart to clean your rifle, you may be able to answer your own question. Any information you provide, will be instructive to me; thank you in advance. The Omega is my absolute favorite rifle.

Lol!! :lol: I apologize. I'm not being clear. I bought the gun many years ago and have only removed the barrel a couple of times after hunting in wet conditions to dry and lube the trigger mech. It's just that a couple of buddies that shoot extreme long range varmint only, commented that I could see a change in POI by doing so. I would love to say they're wrong that's all. Personally, I haven't noticed a POI shift the few times the barrel and stock were separated though I'm only shooting 100yds. I can easily clean the rifle with stock/barrel/scope together and do most of the time. I love my Omega too! :D

Because your scope is mounted to the barrel, you should not notice any POI shift from removing the barrel for cleaning. If they're centerfire guys, they could see that with a rifle, as if you don't torque your action perfectly every time, there could be a POI shift. Centerfires are much more finicky, because of the tighter tolerances and higher velocities. With a muzzleloader, there is the potential for a slight shift, but I've never had any issues with any muzzleloaders that I've taken apart and put back together.

Midway sells a cleaning tube for the Rem MZ bolt action. It is about 8 in. long and screws into the breach plug threads. Same threads are used for the omega and the ruger 77/50. Aids in cleaning and keeping debris/solvents out of the scope area and trigger groups.

I also have the Omega with QRW rings and cleaning either by just taking the scope off of the barrell or also taking the barrel off of the stock makes no difference. It always comes back to zero. I believe the Omega to be the best Muzzy T/C ever made.

Back