TC ProHunter and 150 grs of 777 pellets? UPDATE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armedruby

Reaction score
Reading the manual on my new PH today it seems that 150 grs of Pyrodex is fine, but it doesn't mention 777 at all, at least that I can find. On this forum I've read that 777 burns a little faster than Pyrodex. So, is it safe to shoot 150 grains of 777 pellets or powder in this thing or is 150 grains limited to Pyrodex only? If I can't shoot 150 grains of 777, what is the max for 777? Note: bullet not yet decided, I hope to shoot a 200 grain shockwave but also have some 250 gr shockwaves to try out for accuracy.

FOUND THIS ON THE TC WEBSITE FAQ:

Can we use three 50 grain triple 7 pellets in our enc-omega? Yes, triple seven will work well with three 50 grain pellets and proper care.

I use 777 . shockwave 250 & Remington muzzle loader primers in my Encore. At 50yds my group was 1/2" x 1/2" for 4 shots. No prblem with 777 and 250 SW..................

Thats what a lot of guys use in the Pro hunters or Omegas. 3 t7's and a 250 or 300 shockwave.
Frank

The maximum load with 777 according to Hogdon(the powder manufacturer), should never exceed 120 grains. Triple 7 produces more pressure than Pyrodex. I wouldn't risk my gun or my hands and face just for a few more feet/sec. Most often the the most accurate loads are never the hottest loads.

I have often seen in other forums and printed material that , Trip 7 powder charges are supposed to be at least 15% less by volume than black powder and other black-powder substitutes. So for an example , Hodgdon says never to use more than 120 grains of T7 powder.. Therefore , taking 15% of 150 grains of black-powder = 22.5 grains.
150 - 22.5 = 127.5 grains. You want to have a safety factor , so leave out the 7.5 grains and you are left with the 120 grain max that is mentioned.
I don't want to state the obvious , but remember that all black powder and black powder substitutes are always measured in volume units , not by actual weight !!!!
The above is only an example based on what I have read else-where. You do what you feel safe with.!!!

See this statement ; CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner?s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

You should not exceed 120 grs of 777 loose powder. If you choose to use 777 loose powder you will find an accurate load between 100 grs and likely 115 grains of powder.

Testing loads in 5 grain increments "DOES" make a difference using 777 loose powder.

Personnally shooting 120 grs of 777 loose powder is like shooting a 12 gauge slug gun.

Chocdog

Why take a chance?

From Hodgdon's website:

Got a Question About Powder?
Get your questions answered by Hodgdon Powder techs by email! Or if you prefer making a phone call, the Hodgdon techs are available at 913-362-9455 from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Central Standard Time, 5 days a week.

Our techs have extensive experience in the field, and chances are, they can answer most any question. Best of all, this service is free of charge.

Latest posts

Back