TC Renegade Tang?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a beautiful 50 cal LH TC Renegade from Gemihur. What a fantastic guy to deal with!!! Anyway, I realize it only has a two-hole tang. I thought Idaholewis had posted the video but can't find it on how to measure and what size hole to drill and thread it. Does anybody have any idea how to do it and what to use?

I just acquired a beautiful 50 cal LH TC Renegade from Gemihur. What a fantastic guy to deal with!!! Anyway, I realize it only has a two-hole tang. I thought Idaholewis had posted the video but can't find it on how to measure and what size hole to drill and thread it. Does anybody have any idea how to do it and what to use?

As you know I'm not Lew, but I have drilled and tapped my fair share over the last 16 years.
What I do is adjust the tang screws so both are in alignment. Then I lay down a piece of masking tape to give me my center line.

rst7Gpw.jpg

I then put the sight on with the tang in the stock with one screw the back one and the front screw hole lines up with the masking tape. Then I strike it with a punch on the edge of the tape.

UdA86ZJ.jpg

A0yp0r6.jpg

The hole is drilled with a no,29 drill bit. Put the tang in a padded vise and drill. Tap the hole with a 8-32 tap.

pjkUQ5V.jpg

On the Renegade the sight will most likely hit the wood. Lyman told people in the instructions to alter the wood. My problem with that was these stocks and already tough to find and expensive. So I ground the sight to make it fit with an angle grinder.

lHNArE0.jpg

il6Cc0m.jpg

0rRMgcS.jpg

In the instructions it says that to get the sight to move vertical properly a shim was needed under the front of the sight. I used plumbers tape on my Renegades. It is that metal strap with the holes. A guy can use stainless washers, or like I did with my Hawken, I built a thicker shim that gives me more elevation.
This is the renegade.

i6JlSDw.jpg

This is the Hawken.

Q4zSinq.jpg

The Hawken didn't require the sight base being ground down but I did it to be able to put it on other rifles.
It is possible that with the shim I made it could work on the Renegade without grinding. Or grinding as much.
In this picture you can see the shim. I also bent the hammer. This isn't required but I think it is easier to cock without interference with the sight. I like how it looks too.

yDHGKXy.jpg

I love that sight and shim you have on that Hawken!

I built that out of aluminum. I did a couple at the same time. I figured that if I ever found a Hawken with a 1" barrel channel I might use it for the barrel I have on my single trigger Renegade. I like my set triggers.

Attachments

• Upgrade 2.jpg
    Upgrade 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Now that I think of it, Being it’s a Left Handed Renegade, I don’t think I’ll be able to find an aperture sight for it?
I have a left hand Investarms Hawken, With a Lyman 57sml on it. No problem at all. I actually had a Hawken with the old TC sight on it. Really didn't like it. I like to have click type adjustments. It did shoot ok.

I’d love to find one of those old style TC aperature sight like you have but it would cost an arm and leg. :mad:

Actually I don't own a TC peep. All of mine are Lyman 57sml.
I do own one Lee Shavers mid range soule sight.

Latest posts

Back