Test.......................

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
pbucket.gif

attachment.php

when i was about 13 years old another boy from a a joining neighborhood sold me a english type long bow for 50 cents. it was in his garage and went way back to the old days. i used that 45 pound bow until i went to the navy at 17 years old. i gave it to my cousin who shot it alot and one day it just snapped he said. i could really shoot good with it and took many a cotton tail rabbit with it. their were 3 boys in our group who hunted all the time with bows. we played a game that was really stupid but we were just boys. we would go out to a open spot and stand real close to each other and shoot straight up in the air as best we could. anyone who run was a coward. none of us ever run but the arrows fell very close to us some time. we could have killed our selves but we didnt care, we just wanted to pretend we were brave. it truth we were very foolish. one time one of our group was about 50 yards off resting in some tall grass. the other fellow in our group said to me, im going to shoot a arrow close to him in that tall grass and scare him. well it was too close to him and it went right 1/2 way through his hand. he run home as we were out in the country a couple of miles and boy did his mother get mad at the boy who did it. she didnt like me or the boy who shot him. she said i cussed too much and the other boy was reckless. she was right about both off us. i still may buy me a long bow of about 35 pounds and just practice as i did when i was a kid. it was fun then and would be fun again. thanks for the picture and the memory.

I think that was a 35# bow I was using in the picture. Kind of hard to remember that far back.

My dad used a recurve that was made from steel and even had a steel cable for a string. It was about 80# and i'd turn blue trying to shoot it.

What I find strange is the minimum for Colorado is a 35# bow. No animal restrictions. So, they feel a 35# longbow is enough for an elk? Seems pretty light to me.

OldMtnMan said:
I think that was a 35# bow I was using in the picture. Kind of hard to remember that far back.
That's damn near a century ago Pete, where did the time go?

i read recently that the average english long bow when they were using as the main weapon in their english army was 100 to 150 pound pull. they must have been very strong men. on the other hand they said the viking bow was on the average was a 45 pound bow. two different fighting styles. the vikings had to be a lot closer than the english did. the dane who does all the speed and trick shooting on you tube uses a 35 pound bow. my fried from childhood who shot my other friend through the hand with ease used a 35 pound bow to do it with. at close range a light 35 pound bow can do more than one can think. as to our age we all have to remember what king david from the bible said. once i was young and now i am old.

My back won't let me pull a verticle bow anymore. That's why I went to a crossbow. It's heavy and bulky. I'm trying to sell it and go back to a muzzleloader.

Until it sells I might as well hunt with it. I have bear and deer archery tags. So, i'm off to go hunt in a few minutes. As soon as I wolf down this bowl of oatmeal.

35 pound bow is legal for Elk but a 50 caliber ball isnt. Ya that makes sense.

Back