The 260gr Speer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
The 260gr Speer,had some laying around and wanted to do some BH shooting with my Omega,I put 110 BH in and was shocked to see my first group measure 5/8" I though maybe a fluke so I whent back to the bench and put two more down rangechanged the group tp 3/4". I felt so bad about it that I am thinking if I get some good reports on what they will do on game I might get some more. Do they make that 260gr in a Gold Dot?
I double checked by shooting an other 5 shoot group and I know I wiggled on the last shot and still came way with just over 1.25" group. Lee

John, It was a 45, .451 I was shooting it in a MMP-HPH24 sabot with 110 gr BH209 at 100yds with a 4 power scope, it chronyed at 1930fps.

Do they make that 260gr in a Gold Dot?

No, they don't. The nearest GDs in .452 are 250 grains and 300 grains. The Speer web site shows the 300 as designed for "handgun hunting" and the 250 as "general purpose". The 260 JHP is also shown as "general purpose".

I've never seen a report on the 260 being used on deer, but I suspect they would do well because the 250s, though not rated for handgun hunting sure do well on deer. But it's a Gold Dot, so I don't know if the different construction of GD vs. JHP would make a difference. I use the 300 GD myself. If it shoots well for you, you can't go wrong.

I have killed several deer using the 260 gr Speer with 90 gr of FFg Goex in my MK 85 Knight. Performs and shoots great.

Back