the best way to bring the beautiful grain or gun stock wood out when fininishing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
chromium trioxide, and leather dye. i use medium brown leather dye and i mix a few drops of red leather dye into it. if you sand your wood to a finish and then soak chromium trioxide and leather dye into the wood and let it dry then wash it clean with water, then let dry again then you are ready for what ever finish after that, oil or varnish. i see a lot of picture of gun stocks here that could be much much better on the finish. beech wood has a lot of grain in it and the only way to bring it out is the above method of staining. most guns now from overseas and even america are using beech in stead of walnut or maple. it is a good wood but needs special staining to bring out the grain. no one has done it so far here. try the stain i suggest and you will see what i mean.

I'm guessin' you can't just run down to Wal-Mart and get the chromium trioxode. Where can it be purchased?

-Joe

Do you have any pictures of the stocks you treated with this stain?

dixie gun works, go to cast bollits where you are a member.find my long stick that was wrote about me and gun stock refinishing. rogers way of gunstock refinishing or something like that. i may not have mentioned chromium trioxide but i sure mentioned leather dye. i have a local friend who is a master tomahawk and knife maker. he uses my method of staining his high end hardwood handles. this is also good for staining bone. can really bring out the grain in bone, can make it look 10,000 years old. and bone can polish up and when stained right it is really outstanding. if you like the stick over at cast boolits put it here if it isnt against the law. i give permission. every gun i ever sold over their said one thing to me in emails. the stocks are to beautiful to take out in the field but they do anyways. beech can really look common coming from the factory, but strip it and use my method of finishing it and it will really blow you away.after you stain it my way and wash it, finish it any way you want. oil or hard finish. all finishes are oil finishes, just more hardeners in the hard ones. when you have polished your finish out no matter what finish is on it, then go to HUTS polish and then you will get a shine like never before. then go to 5f from brownells. you will not believe what you get. their it is, carry this one as far as you want, lots of secrets here that is easy to share.

i forgot, go to pineridgeblackpowder.com. you can see part of a western maple stock i carved for my target rifle. didnt sell that one and never will. may reline the barrel or rebarrel it but never sell it. very nice piece of wood and some burl in the forstock.

I have a Thompson Center Renegade .54 cal with 31" Round ball barrel.  The stock is Walnut and I might try your method of re-finishing it. It has some handling marks and dings from previous owners and as such could use a new make over.  I believe I read the correct post from Cast Boolits and the list of materials.  No mention of Chromium Trioxide as you thought.  Stocks look good !!!

Materials needed:

For finishing or refinishing a gunstock, these are the supplies you will need.
1. Friebings leather dye. avail. at a shoe repair shop, a saddle makers shop or the internet, and tandy leather shops. Use the color you want your stock to be. I generally use medium brown with a drop or two of red mixed into it. This gives a nice old world english red stain that is beautiful.
2. Pumice rubbing powder and Rottenstone rubbing powder available on the internet or Constantine's or a good hardware store.
3. HUTS plastic polish. Available on the internet.
4. Brownells 5F finish polish. available from Brownell on the internet or their catalog.
5. A yard of pure cotton flannel cloth, cut and folded in to polishing cloth squares.
6. Several sheets of 220 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, and 2000 grit wet sanding auto sandpaper, available at auto supply store.
7. Watco Dainish finish oil clear penetrating finish.
8. a good thinner like SunnySide Specs Paint Thinner or equivalent.
9. Varathane's Polyurethane high gloss finish or Tru Oil, your choice. 

Post some pics of your other guns you've refinished, not much on your site.

sorry, all my guns are sold and there are pictures on cast bollits but i cant say where. when you sand sand with the grain. never ever against it. you will never get those cross grain scratches out. when you use watco oil as a first coat, thin it down and always wipe the excess off no later than a 1/2 hour after application. it will sink deep and make the wood hard and durable. i no long use poly in a can for the top coat. i find a spray can of the very best high end acrilic clear top coat car spray is  much better. i get it at a high end auto parts store. when your finish is to the point of watco and all the wood can hold then go to the spray. remember you can not build up watco on the surface, it is only for penatration and then again wipe clean in 1/2 hour and let dry before repeat. when you use the spray, just mist a little at a time. you do not even have to build up a layer. mist a few times and make sure you let it dry really good before you slightly mist again. it you should get a run. use 600 grit emery paper to smooth it out. when done rub down with rotten stone powder on a soft pure cotton flannel cloth. when smooth and nice got to HUTS plastic polish on a cotton flannel cloth. after that a high end paste floor wax. if your into rust browning or rust blueing your barrels of metal part. when they are done, clean and still warm work in the same good floor paste wax you put on your stock. it will seal metal and make it rain proof also. pay special attention to the nose of the forestock  the but under the butt plate and the top of the wrist. those area will take alot more watco oil to seal for good. you want those area sealed as then they cannot draw water from the air or from where ever. i go so far a the area under the butt plate is sealed with layers of super glue, then sanded down to the wood. then that area will never ever allow moisture to go into the stock and your stock will be real stable. remember, take your time and do each step perfectly before you move to the next one. if the lock area and places on the stock shrink while your working on the stock just open them up carefully with 220 grit emery paper. go easy and take your time. sometime precut stocks srink when you work on them beech is a very very tough wood but it really has a tendency to shrink alot when your working on it. denver and my high dry area is bad for shrinkage. low coastal areas, not so much. thats why you want to seal then ends of stocks and at the wrist,so it will never shrink or expand again. any questions, please ask. my family background is custom furniture makers that go back hundreds of years in France. wood and finishing it is in my blood.  remember, it is not rocket science. just a series of facts to follow.

strong eagle said:
chromium trioxide, and leather dye. i use medium brown leather dye and i mix a few drops of red leather dye into it. if you sand your wood to a finish and then soak chromium trioxide and leather dye into the wood and let it dry then wash it clean with water, then let dry again then you are ready for what ever finish after that, oil or varnish. i see a lot of picture of gun stocks here that could be much much better on the finish. beech wood has a lot of grain in it and the only way to bring it out is the above method of staining. most guns now from overseas and even america are using beech in stead of walnut or maple. it is a good wood but needs special staining to bring out the grain. no one has done it so far here. try the stain i suggest and you will see what i mean.
No way will I ever handle chromium trioxide in any form.  :evil: Too strong an Oxidizer.

Back