The new CVA Optima?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a new CVA Optima. A 2010 model to be exact. Has the 416 SS barrel (and frame???), new fangled CVA trigger, and the easy out breech plug. I had an older Optima 4 years ago. I was not a bad rifle but I liked my Knight better and sold the Optima. I have some questions-

1. What is the frame /reciever made of? I hope SS and not aluminum alloy like the Traditions rifles.

2. Any thoughts on accuracy? I know it will not be like a Knight but I'm hoping for an honest 3" CTC @ 100 yards.

3. Whats the "zero gravity trigger" like?

4. Are the stocks well made (like a Knight).

5. Here's something that has always concerned me, how bad is the blow back with these guns? My older Optima was kinda bad in this department. Always blew crud into the firing pin hole in the frame. Can't take the frame apart so how do you clean it????

6. What's the real deal on the new CVA breech plug that supposedly is truly a tooless breech plug?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

JimG said:
I'm considering purchasing a new CVA Optima. A 2010 model to be exact. Has the 416 SS barrel (and frame???), new fangled CVA trigger, and the easy out breech plug. I had an older Optima 4 years ago. I was not a bad rifle but I liked my Knight better and sold the Optima. I have some questions-

1. What is the frame /reciever made of? I hope SS and not aluminum alloy like the Traditions rifles. Alloy. They use this on pretty much everything but the Apex.

2. Any thoughts on accuracy? I know it will not be like a Knight but I'm hoping for an honest 3" CTC @ 100 yards. 3" @ 100??? I get better groups than that at 200 yards with the new optima.

3. Whats the "zero gravity trigger" like? Its super nice! Mine is about 3lbs. All you feel is tightness, no grit or creep, just squeeze and it goes off.

4. Are the stocks well made (like a Knight). The optima's stock fits me better than any knight ive shouldered, especially with open sights.

5. Here's something that has always concerned me, how bad is the blow back with these guns? My older Optima was kinda bad in this department. Always blew crud into the firing pin hole in the frame. Can't take the frame apart so how do you clean it???? Certain primers like the Federal 209a are dirty in every rifle ive tried them in. What ever blowby you get, is simply just light primer fouling that wipes right off. The Optima's firing pin is removable, If you ever want to fully clean the rifle, there are "ports" in the frame that allow you to use a spray cleaner and fully clean out the frame and oil.

6. What's the real deal on the new CVA breech plug that supposedly is truly a tooless breech plug? Exactly as they say. Ive fired over 60 shots with BH209 in the Optima without ever cleaning and never had the breech plug stick or feel any tightness.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspo ... pdate.html

Back