The perfect muzzleloading box

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heymax

Reaction score
I know they sell a specific muzzleloader box but I find it too small. What do you guys use or suggest.

I started out small , then went to a range bag and now have added a plano tackle box. So now I carry 2 and still the little one and still forget stuff. I usually have 1 pickup loaded just for shooting. ( Bench, bags and sleds, spotting scope, range finder, targets and stand, etc)

I use a good Plastic Tool box. I would avoid the plastic boxes from Harbor Freight though. They are on the Flimsy side.

I use about the largest plastic tool box and still need more room. I shoot inlines, sidelocks and flinch locks aka flint locks. most of what I carry in the box is applicable to all but each needs a few of its own tools also. This can amount to a lot of stuff but if I had one for each it would need many duplications too.

I use a camera case/bag. They are padded and have extra zippered compartments for your stuff. You can set it on the bench within arms reach. Photo to follow:

I am using a soft tool bag that my Rigid screw gun combo came in. I have 2 of them. 1 for BP and 1 for CF. Lots of pockets in and outside. It has a handle and a shoulder strap. Zips shut and holds a ton of lead and powder. I used to use a Snapon tool bag but the Rigid has more pockets and just works out better. I use an old backpack for my pistol stuff. Keep them loaded with the normal tools and equipment and just add whats specific to that range day.

Actually, I use an old purse from an old girlfreind's 'Hippy days'. It doesn't wear the fringe but is a sturdy grade of leather and boasts a strap of bootleather suede.
I occasionally empty it and restock for another muzzleloader's compliment.

I have been using one of the MTM "Muzzleloader" for several years now. But there's no extra room in it anymore, I used to use a empty ammo can for all the extra stuff. Now it's full to so I'll have to find something else to carry stuff in.

I have a Nitrex ammo/shooting bag that my brother-in-law got me many years ago (he's worked for Speer/CCI for over 20 years) when they were still Omark or possibly Blount (prior to ATK and now Vista Outdoor). It has a nice sized main compartment, two more "stacked" zippered compartments on the front, pockets and zippered pockets inside of those, and good sized pockets on the both sides and the back. When it finally falls apart I'll definitely be looking for another bag like it, works good for me.

Old guy across the street passed away awhile ago. His wife gave me a couple of his old fishing tackle boxes.They have been repurposed into muzzleloader boxes . Whenever I use them I think of old Harvey. He's gone on ahead of us, hopefully we'll see him soon[not too soon though]

Tackle boxes have long been a favorite of mine.
Thanks, chubby ninja.

I started with an old fashioned single tray metal tool box that had my tools in it when I was 20 y.o. Now it is that box and several military shoulder bags plus a couple of leather bags for my shotgun possibles.

Back