The word “Weapon” used to describe your Blackpowder Rifle or Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is something that i have never understood why? And has always bothered me (A personal thing, Due to the way our Country has become) As CIVILIANS Why do some Folks Refer to their Blackpowder Rifles, and Blackpowder Pistols (ANY Rifle or Pistol for that Matter) as “Weapons”? Like “That’s a nice looking Weapon you have there” Check out my new Weapon Etc. Etc. Why not call them your RIFLE? Or Blackpowder Pistol/Revolver?

I can VIVIDLY remember reading a VERY Well Respected member of another Forums last Post years ago as he Was Dying, The VERY LAST thing he said before he Died was “For God’s sake Folks, PLEASE QUIT Calling your Rifle/Pistol a Weapon” I FULLY understood him

Do you know the actual definition of a “Weapon”?

Taken from Dictionary.com
weapon
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim

Do you really feel the above is an Accurate Description of our Blackpowder Muzzleloading Rifles & Pistols?

Last edited:
I am in agreement with this. It's the uneducated and ignorant that label them as "weapons". Of course they can be used as weapons; but so can a knife, a bow, a rock, a stick, a slingshot, a vehicle, or many other things.

But to be honest, I don't often hear about BP or other sporting firearms referred to as "weapons", except maybe from the liberal media and left wing politicians. But I'm lumping them in the "uneducated and ignorant" category 😜.

I am in agreement with this. It's the uneducated and ignorant that label them as "weapons". Of course they can be used as weapons; but so can a knife, a bow, a rock, a stick, a slingshot, a vehicle, or many other things.

But to be honest, I don't often hear about BP or other sporting firearms referred to as "weapons", except maybe from the liberal media and left wing politicians. But I'm lumping them in the "uneducated and ignorant" category 😜.

I have heard it here on the Forum many times

Just a Quick search in the Search Bar here using the Word ”Weapon”

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/search/204492/?q=Weapon&o=relevance

MM we know that is one of the first things the DI's straighten guys out on in boot.

I have heard it here on the Forum many times

Just a Quick search in the Search Bar here using the Word ”Weapon”

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/search/204492/?q=Weapon&o=relevance
i agree . I dont much like the word weapon as the preferential way of referring to a gun .
it can be a weapon if need be , and a darn good one but most of the time for me it is a TOOL . And a darn good one.
it is a tool that can be used as a weapon if need be. That's my view anyway.
Kinda like referring to a .223 as an assault rifle. Gives it a negative connotation

Clips/Mags, Silencer/Suppressor, Modern sporting rifles/Assault rifles, Bullet/Cartridge/Shell, Sling/Strap, Antlers/horns, crossbow arrow/bolt. Sometimes its just the way people grew up calling it, other times its ignorance. All depends on context with how I feel about it

i agree . I dont much like the word weapon as the preferential way of referring to a gun .
it can be a weapon if need be , and a darn good one but most of the time for me it is a TOOL . And a darn good one.
it is a tool that can be used as a weapon if need be. That's my view anyway.
Kinda like referring to a .223 as an assault rifle. Gives it a negative connotation

EXACTLY How i see it :lewis:

Latest posts

Back