The word “Weapon” used to describe your Blackpowder Rifle or Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think this is necessary when I actually agreed with you?!?

You said you thought it was a Silly Discussion, Which is your Right :lewis: I simply told you that since you see it as a Silly Discussion to Avoid it. So yea, What i said STANDS :lewis:

Just for the Record, If you think i was mad? I assure you i was not. Just calling it the way i see it

Last edited:
You are in fact correct, nothing I own has ever been a weapon up to this point in time and I don't refer to any of the guns I used to own (tragic boating accident) as one that I'm aware of. I'm weird though, I can be very literal about some things and hardly at all for other things. For example, it doesn't bother me one bit when someone calls a mag a "clip". It is a slang term used for a LONG time in my neck of the woods. I know what they mean, they know what they mean, and I'm not going to interrupt the conversation to point out something they already know. It has been rare in my life that I talked with someone who used the word "clip" while they were holding an M1 Garand.

I refer to "guns" as rifle, pistol (sometimes revolver if it is in fact one), shotgun, or most often just by their caliber. My renegade (again, that I used to own) got referred to as caplock or "the .54" most of the time.

While I understand completely what you're talking about, the defiant part of me doesn't want to have to worry about how I refer to things. Especially when I consider who it's for. I'd also say, being a stout 2nd Amendment supporter, I wonder what the founding fathers would have to say about referring to guns as weapons? Silly I know, as they lived in a completely different culture than we do, but that's the defiant part of me speaking up. They were definitely tools and weapons to them in that day and age. Tools is the best description of what they are for us these days.
I would bet that most folks that do use the word weapon are doing so just like some folks call a mag a clip...it is just what they've always said for whatever reason and considering what the literal definition of "weapon" is is the furthest thing from their mind when they say it. I bet it would be pretty easy to change that once it was pointed out to them.

I too am not a fan of "harvesting" as a term for taking an animal...I refuse to rosy up the way I talk about certain things, just to make some anti feel a little bit better about the fact that I like to process my own meat from field to consumption. Isn't there supposed to be some "safe space" they can go now anyway to help make themselves feel better?

There will NEVER be a world where someone doesn't get their feelers hurt by something or another...but there are some that sure are trying for it anyway.
Very crazy times these days, that's for sure.
(BTW, I wonder how many "flag" words I likely just used above? Probably on a few more "lists" after that post). :D

I too am not a fan of "harvesting"
Frankly I dont like the word Harvest when used in place of killing game either. But sometimes I use it. I will add real quickly though that the hamburger they ate or will eat was a live steer ( I grew up in vegetables so get of my ass if its some other kind of cow ) earlier in the week. If you are going to eat meat something is going to die. Thank you Lord for putting me at the top of the food chain.

This is something that i have never understood why? And has always bothered me (A personal thing, Due to the way our Country has become) As CIVILIANS Why do some Folks Refer to their Blackpowder Rifles, and Blackpowder Pistols (ANY Rifle or Pistol for that Matter) as “Weapons”? Like “That’s a nice looking Weapon you have there” Check out my new Weapon Etc. Etc. Why not call them your RIFLE? Or Blackpowder Pistol/Revolver?

I can VIVIDLY remember reading a VERY Well Respected member of another Forums last Post years ago as he Was Dying, The VERY LAST thing he said before he Died was “For God’s sake Folks, PLEASE QUIT Calling your Rifle/Pistol a Weapon” I FULLY understood him

Do you know the actual definition of a “Weapon”?

Taken from Dictionary.com
weapon
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim

Do you really feel the above is an Accurate Description of our Blackpowder Muzzleloading Rifles & Pistols?
I prefer to think of it as a firearm. The word weapon insinuates attack in my mind. I’m sure it does in the minds of the anti’s also.

Yes , there where plenty of weapons used on Jan 6, when I hunt and kill game ,not catch them ,I use my rifle,shotgun,bow or handgun. Thanks for your feeling Lewis.

This is something that i have never understood why? And has always bothered me (A personal thing, Due to the way our Country has become) As CIVILIANS Why do some Folks Refer to their Blackpowder Rifles, and Blackpowder Pistols (ANY Rifle or Pistol for that Matter) as “Weapons”? Like “That’s a nice looking Weapon you have there” Check out my new Weapon Etc. Etc. Why not call them your RIFLE? Or Blackpowder Pistol/Revolver?

I can VIVIDLY remember reading a VERY Well Respected member of another Forums last Post years ago as he Was Dying, The VERY LAST thing he said before he Died was “For God’s sake Folks, PLEASE QUIT Calling your Rifle/Pistol a Weapon” I FULLY understood him

weapon
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

Do you really feel the above is an Accurate Description of our Blackpowder Muzzleloading Rifles & Pistols?
You are exactly right! That is the stance that the firearms instructors have taken, and we refer to all firearms as firearms, and never as weapons. Of course you will run across a few old crusty and crude ex military people who refer to everything as a weapon. THINK FIREARM.

Well certainly in their time they were weapons and also assault weapons. In some demented dem circles, the fact that a flintlock or percussion rifle was once an assault weapon is giving them cause to add them to the ban list soon. Its the same group that thinks a .50 is the same as a .50BMG and also capable of high rounds per minute. They tell these lies to each other and nobody ever challenges them to end the lies and ignorant misinformation.

weapon

I think this issue boils down to context...my Paramount was designed to be both a target shooting and a hunting rifle. But since I'm a combat trained veteran, I also see it as being potentially a weapon if need be. As heavy as it is it would make a pretty good doorstop! The point is semantics tells me it is numerous things at the same time...it all depends on what it's being used for at the time. It will always be a gun and a rifle. But if need be, it most definitely could become a weapon. Let anyone come a try and take it away from me by force...they'd find out quickly it most definitely is a weapon.

If one refers to deer, bears, and other large and small game as well as targets as the enemy, then they are weapons!:elmer:

If the Left was not so intent on banning all firearms, I would laugh at the gun controllers. Anyone looking for a weapon with which to harm another can go into any hardware, big box or agricultural supply store and buy an assortment. There's the ever popular kitchen knife, or the hand axe, but my personal favorite for general mayhem is a ditch blade.
1612352262451.jpeg1612352262451.jpeg

During the Civil War, two of Jack Hinson's sons were killed and beheaded by Union soldiers. The heads were then placed on the gatepost of their father's plantation.
Jack Hinson had a gunsmith build a heavy barreled 50 caliber rifle. It was a tool designed for one purpose.
The barrel of that rifle now bears the marks of revenge.

(1) 20190819 Jack Hinson's One Man War - YouTube

I own weapons. They were designed, built, and purchased with a defensive purpose in mind.
I also own MLs, rifles, and shotguns. All designed with a sporting purpose in mind.
And I own some collectibles that were and remain weapons of freedom.
I mostly call each one by its name but the word weapon will occasionally cross my lips.
To me it emphasizes the deadly potential of each one and serves as a reminder to me and
those around me. Especially those with a too casual attitude.
Wave the muzzle of your ML unsafely around me and mine and you will quickly hear
the word WEAPON and a few others too!

Latest posts

Back