This could happen to you!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two CVA Scout V2 rifles (one in .44 mag/ 445 SuperMag and one in 444 Marlin). They are identical (same finish, same scope, same sling, same hardware). The only way to tell them apart is looking at the laser etched caliber on the barrel; I thought I had staged them in my gun cabinet so that the .44 Mag/445 SuperMag was in front. Well, when I went to test some 44 mag ammo, after shooting two three-shot strings of two different brands, I noticed the chrono was reading much lower velocities than I expected. When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I noticed the rifle I was shooting was the 444 Marlin. The Lord was watching over this fool (I am referring to myself) that day.

A friend of mines father was said to have loaded his shotgun with a tube of Chapstick while in a frenzy, fortunately there were no reprecussions.
Lesson is ,mistakes can be made in a frenzy, be prepared so the possibility of substitution is not there. Avoid frenzy , always a fan of the one good shot.
I had the same thing happen to me probably thirty years ago. I was deer hunting with a Savage twenty gauge over under. I loaded my gun in the dark. No shots fired at end of drive so I broke the gun open and found only one round. Got to looking around and found my Chapstick laying on the ground. You really can't shoot a deer with a chapstick. Never put shotshells in the same pocket with your chapstick.

And if you hunt with a 20 ga and 12 ga either have a separate vest for each or be sure to empty your pockets after each hunt. A 20 down the tube followed by a fired 12 ga will definitely wreck your day, not only your shotgun.

My son shot his range rod downrange after a cease fire interrupted his loading sequence. His Savage 50 SML had a bulged barrel but no other damage. The rod went 75 yards. Now he keeps a plastic coffee can lid on his range rod. While it's in the bore it blocks the view thru the scope.

My son shot his range rod downrange after a cease fire interrupted his loading sequence. His Savage 50 SML had a bulged barrel but no other damage. The rod went 75 yards. Now he keeps a plastic coffee can lid on his range rod. While it's in the bore it blocks the view thru the scope.
Been there, done that.

I have seen a couple of incidents where someone tried firing a .300 Blackout round down the barrel of a 5.56 AR. Was not prepared for the but they both survived somehow. The .300 blackout cartridge fits in a .223 or 5.56 perfectly too. If you have both you need to clear the table of one or the other before shooting.

A buddy bought his son a 7mm-08 youth from one of the big chain stores and a couple of boxes of ammo. We took it out to site it in. I shot it 14-15 times doing the shoot and clean. I couldn't get it to shoot a group less than a foot at 40 yards. Starting double checking the scope mounts and happened to see the writing on the barrel. It was a 308. That might have been the coldest sinking feeling I have ever had when I thought about what could have happened. It made my chest hurt.

When I was in basic training on the night fire course afterwards the LT comes by with a range rod and runs it down the barrel. Everything going good until he got to me, the last round I fired was a squib and bullet had stopped halfway up the barrel.

That was a barrel obstruction? Looked like the new shredded carbon fiber shroud you pay extra for. New shroud design 2023 model. It’s meant to conceal the rifle for high dollar sniper situations.

Latest posts

Back