Thoughts on revolvers....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our official cartridge was Remington .357 magnum with 158 grain JHP. They wanted something that would go through car door and windshields. Women officers were allowed to use the Remington .38 Specials if they could not handle the magnums. But I don’t remember any women who did carry 38s in their revolvers though.
I'm sure it was the political reason .38 vs .357 magnum. We then went with Glock .40 caliber till I retired.

I carried the 686 when I was a Colorado State Trooper, it was a fine weapon. We loaded .38+ in them.

I have been checking out cast bullets for 357 mag and 41 mag. Montana Bullet Works has some good looking bullets. The 150 and 180 gr WFN-GC for the 357 mag. The 240 gr WFN-GC for the 41 mag. I think those would really be good'uns.

I have been checking out cast bullets for 357 mag and 41 mag. Montana Bullet Works has some good looking bullets. The 150 and 180 gr WFN-GC for the 357 mag. The 240 gr WFN-GC for the 41 mag. I think those would really be good'uns.
I shoot 265 gr WLNGC in my Blackhawk hunter over a near max charge of lil'gun. shoots very well !!! Deer, pigs and velociraptors hate it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010705761?pid=126006

I thought about the 44. Great caliber. Handloader's dream. It just never interested me. 🤔
I guess I'm the only one....
Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 with 7.5" barrel. A dream to shoot. Bowling pin at 50 yards free hand no problem. Recoil not an issue -- My son's .38 snub way more painful -- and that's with standard ammo. +P and after 3 shots I'm done.
And, don't need a fancy rig to reload. Just a Classic Lee Loader and good to go -- at home or in the field.

There's been some fine old wheelguns brought up in this thread.
Is the 57 pinned and recessed? I'd snap that up in a second. I'd much rather an N frame than a K any day. And if your plan is to feed them stout loads on a consistent basis, you'll see why after awhile.
I've got a 57, a 58, some 29's, some 24's and a 624. I had a 28, but allowed my missus to convince me to sell it to her daughter's boyfriend. I'll never do that again.
Hard cast loads through a 41 will put the hurt on a pig, pretty quick.

For several deer seasons I was a dedicated revolver hunter. I killed deer with a 686, a S&W M19, a Ruger BH .41 mag and a SBH .44 mag. In the .357 the loads were Remington 158 grn JHP factory loads and a similar handload at 1280 fps and a 125 grn JHP at 1400 fps. There was a cast bullet load (M28 only) 160 grain GCSWC at 1450fps.

The .41 mag, my favorite for deer, had a few successful loads. A 220 grn swc at 1450 fps, a 210 Hornady XTP at around 1400 fps. Now for the SBH .44 mag; a 200 grain JHP for 1409 fps and a 240 grn JHP at 1400 fps. I liked the .41 for deer but no longer hunt. I have 2 .41s, an M57 and a BH.

Hey now, we’re supposed to encourage people to buy more MLs here. :roll:
Not a bad idea. If we can get .36 cap and ball revolver with a longer cylinder so it can hold more black powder then we have the .357 mag equivalent covered. But getting someone to make a .41 cap and ball revolver with a longer cylinder might be a problem. Granted we do have the .44 Dragoons and .44 Walkers though. But those aren’t 41s though. Although they did make some .41 cal revolvers those were all rimfire or center fire cartridge guns.

Not a bad idea. If we can get .36 cap and ball revolver with a longer cylinder so it can hold more black powder then we have the .357 mag equivalent covered. But getting someone to make a .41 cap and ball revolver with a longer cylinder might be a problem. Granted we do have the .44 Dragoons and .44 Walkers though. But those aren’t 41s though. Although they did make some .41 cal revolvers those were all rimfire or center fire cartridge guns.

If you wanted to clone a 44 mag you'd need room for 45-50gr of 3f behind a 240gr slug, or almost twice what a normal ROA charge would be. Would end up looking like one of those BFRs in 45-70 BFR - Big Frame Revolver | Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers

If you wanted to clone a 44 mag you'd need room for 45-50gr of 3f behind a 240gr slug, or almost twice what a normal ROA charge would be. Would end up looking like one of those BFRs in 45-70 BFR - Big Frame Revolver | Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers

The Colt Walkers came close as you can just squeeze in 50 gr of BP using a conical bullet. But the cylinder needs to be longer for a 240 gr bullet though. You could probably get a cylindrical slug shape bullet to fit but that would maybe be 180 grains though.

Yeah a cap and ball BFR with those long cylinders for 45-70 would do the trick. 70 grains with a 500 grain bullet maybe more powder too. Or the 444 Marlin cylinders.

Last edited:
Back