Tightening Savage action screws

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivlac1960

Reaction score
I know what the torque specs are for Savages CF and ML action screws. I was wondering if there is a sequence for tightening the action screws. I ask this as I'm trying to remove all the variables to get the most from my rifles.

I'm sure there is some 'technique' tucked away somewhere on the net. I even remember reading about some sequence when it comes to stock tightening. A guy told me once I was doing it wrong because I tightened my base & rings screw by 'feel' rather than a torque wrench for the 20 lbs or so of usually force required. That's even though I've done it for decades & never stripped a screw or had one come loose at an inopportune time. I guess if a guy has never been around fasteners much they wouldn't have an idea of what that screw can handle.

Back to the stock. I don't fully tighten either/any all the way without the other. Once one is getting snug I bring the other to the same level, & so on until both are tight. After they are tight I check to see how the barrel sits in the stock channel. I don't want any 'pressure points' & would like it to be 'floated' as much as possible. If this is not the case you can do some adjustments(sanding or credit card shims) to free the barrel.

I once had a Savage 110 stock that was so warped it would twist the action once tightened to the point it wouldn't chamber most rounds,30-06. I would not of believed it could do that unless I saw it myself. A new stock fixed that problem.

If you don't have the newer 'accu-trigger' I'd look into trigger improvements also.

Back