To Use Bore Butter or Not?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Wellman

Reaction score
Fellow Muzzleloaders, Just signed up the other day on your website and already have got several good ideas,keep up the great job. Just started using T/C Shock Wave 250 grain in my Omega, used PowerBelts before. My question is do you use Bore Butter on the plastic yellow sabot on the Shockwave or just set without? It sure is harder to set the shockwave vs the Powerbelt. Any suggestions is deeply appreciated. Gene Wellman

Gene - welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here.

No bore butter is needed on sabots. The sabot acts as its own lube you might say. In many T/C manuals it does state not to bore butter a sabot. You could really do yourself a favor and get ALL THE BORE BUTTER out of your barrel. You're shooting a high quality steel barrel. No need to season it. Gun oil will protect it better. That is if you're using bore butter to protect the rifle as well.

If a sabot is near impossible to set, they make thinner sabots. E-Z glide, harverster crushed rib, MMP HPH-24, three petal, all of them will make loading a lot easier. But be careful, too easy of a loading sabot is just as bad as a tight one for accuracy.

Are you swabbing the bore between shots? If not, swab the bore between shots, and it will make loading a lot easier.

I am not using any bore butter, some guys around here say yes and some say no. I am using 150 grains of 777 and breakdown gun and clean everything after 2-3 rounds. Use a little gun oil on a swab down the barrel and load again. What do you swab with between shots? Thanks for the help. Gene Wellman

I would skip the oiling after swabbing her clean for more shots. You could use Windex for an after shot swabbing solution.

And if your sabots are real tight fitting, lick 'em before loading. :)

I would ditch the bore butter and not use oil between shots
91% alcohol or windex patch for between shot swabbing.
Use the gun oil for after your shooting session.

It's just a personal thing but 150grains of powder is punishing and just sells more powder.
I would back the load down to 100 or a little more or less depending on what you rifle likes.
Welcome and good luck

bore butter

No on bore butter, yes on backing load down to 100 grains. Windex for cleaning and/or spit between shots bothsides then dry patch both sides.

I make a mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid in a 50/50 mix. Some use Windex. I do keep a cheap bottle of window cleaner around the house. You just lightly dampen that patch and work it down the barrel in short strokes to the breech. Then back up. After that a dry patch or two. Then load as normal.

Bore Butter,should be name BORE RUSTER.Use the stuff for cloth patches are the rings around a Maxie Ball to help seal it off.The stuff will rust your gun .It is not a Seasoning like some say it is.Your gun is not a frying pan

I've used it for years! (flame suite on :D ) Never had a bore rusted yet,but I make sure the bore is spotless before applying it. Oil would do the same thing,heck,vasaline would prouably work too. The main concern is to get the barrel really clean,then use what ever you want. Bore Butter WON'T season a barrel period! Oil,lard,chicken fat, Bor Butter,ect is just a barrier between to bore surface,and moisture or humidity in the air. Ron

I really like it in my sidelocks. I use bore butter on the patch or Maxi ball and then remove the barrel and clean with hot water. After I get all the water out I just run a patch with bore butter down the barrel. That's it. No rust even on guns that sit for years. Still use gun oil near the nipple though.

Latest posts

Back