..... Today at the range with Hornady Mono Flex 250 GR..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:D  :)

The weather man was right on the money with todays forecast. 67* with bright sunny skies and no wind at all. I thought the range was going to be jammed but it wasn't for the first 2 hours that I was there.
I hung my target and waited until the range opened. It felt great just being outside without rain or freezing cold temps..........
Anyway, I got these bullets from Carlos and after shooting my Parker B/E 275 GR'ERS or the PT GOLD 260 GR'ERS I had my doubts about these Hornady's. They came with red sabots. I don't know who made them so I brought my Harvester crushed and E-Load smooth sabots just in case.
I didn't swab the barrel. I did clean the B/P once. My MR is zeroed in with B/E's and PT GOLD 260 GR'ERS. Didn't make any scope adjustments.
The upper left I used the Harvester crushed. The lower left I used the Harvester E-Z Load smooth. The target on the right I used the red ones that came in the box. These bullets are .452 in size. They were just a little harder going down the barrel then the Harvesteres
I did not adjust my scope at all. I shot these bullets right out of the box at 50 yards like I have been shooting the others. (The muzzleloader area, "THE WILDERNESS AREA" is still a lake. Maybe it will be open next weekend).

Hope this answers anyone questions who were wondering how they would shoot. I would use these guys if Parker and PT Golds were no longer available. They impressed the hell out of me :cheers:

Ray......... ;)

wow that is some excellent shooting!

Is this the new hornady thats like the barnes bullet, being mostly copper?

How are you going to pick the sabot you want to use? There's not any real difference in any of the groups.
They will probably open up at 100 yards but you may need a longer range to figure out the best choice. Like 200 yards??

:no:

I'm not one for shooting critters out to 200 yards. Too many variables at that distance to deal with especially with a ML'er. I've been hunting for a lot of years now and I have never had to make a shot on a deer, hog or elk that was more then 75 yards.
Maybe just lucky :scratch:

Ray........... ;)

Good shooting Ray. Carlos & I both had slightly larger groups at 100 yards with 110 grains of BH. My Apex really showed a HUGE preference for the smooth E-Z Load Harvesters. The red Hornady sabots were horrible for me. I do like the copper/zinc construction but I haven't had a chance to see a real world performance yet :(

I had almost identical performance with the .458 Monoflex in the MMP orange sabot before the .452 pre packaged M/L version came out.

Jon.....to answer your question......yes

hawgslayer said:
:no:

I'm not one for shooting critters out to 200 yards. Too many variables at that distance to deal with especially with a ML'er. I've been hunting for a lot of years now and I have never had to make a shot on a deer, hog or elk that was more then 75 yards.
Maybe just lucky :scratch:

Ray........... ;)
Same here Ray. I practice at 100 yards just because I believe if I can be shoot good at 100, I can shoot even better close up. I've shot deer as close as 7 feet & as far as 80 yards & I've been doing this for almost 40 years!

:D

I agree 100% with you Greg :!: :!: Practice far knowing the close shot will be exactly where you want it. 8)

Ray........ ;)

For 75 yds you can use a PRB. Save some money, and do it like your forefathers.

Ray like always your shooting is great, and I see the MONOs did great for you, and I'm glad you like them. They might open up a bit at 100 yrds, but not much. Again that is some great groups you got buddy.
Carlos

I'm headed to the range next week. In the 70's so I'll be out early when it's in the high 40's to low 50's. Can't wait :face:

Pete i think most people have forgotten just how effective a PRB can be ....

To me, it's all about what you like to shoot the most. Some of our forefathers would have chosen inlines given the chance. Personally, I like the fact that we have a choice.

Not contesting that Greg but a PRB simplify things a lot if you keep within the range limitations...

I enjoy patched balls myself, especially in a 54cal + but the inline lets you choose so many different bullets and see how each one of them does. Trying new things is whats great about an inline.

Jon the way we live today with shops and supplies close by makes playing with the inlines fun , but when you had to travel for weeks to get to a shop to buy supplies the simplicity of PRB will win the day.

Hawgslayer: I didn't mean that you may have to shoot at game at 200 yds. I meant that it may take 200 yards to allow the groups to open up enough to decide which sabot is best for your combination of components. I know that I always want to pick the load that's the most accurate.
Sorry that I didn't express that thought adequately.

:D

patocazador,

No problem partner :!:
I only said that because I don't practice shooting at 200 yards. That doesn't mean I haven't checked my bullet drop out to 200 yds. I have my rifles zeroed in at 100 and I know with the load I'm using I can still aim dead on out to 130. At 200 with my loads, Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 GR'ers along with 110 grs Black Horn and set off with Fiocchi Primers, I have to raise my POA 4"S over the deer's back and they hit the lungs and with only 3"s over the deer's back the bullet will hit the heart. Knowing that, I still think to many things could go wrong to shoot at critters at that distance. IMHO :!:
My next stop is the 100/130 yard bench. Hopefully I'll get those same groups. They may open up some but I think I can keep them in an 1.5" to 2" circle. Time will tell. :scratch:

Ray......... ;)

Ray,

Great report!!

I was out of town, but really interested to see your results.

Can't wait to try the Monoflex's out myself out of both my Optima and MR.

Ever try the Barnes boattail Spitfire MZ's (245 gr)??

I have shot my best groups at 100 yds with those and 100 gr BH209 and the Harvester yellow CR sabots.

As mentioned many times by many others, it's funny how certain guns like certain load combinations and sabots.

Glad to see you tried the different sabots, thanks!

Back