Took Three Deer With Patched Round Balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This fall i took three deer with patched round balls and my TC .50 caliber New Englander. Two deer bang flopped. The first one, a buck taken on Fort Sill, was pictured here in October. In deer gun season i snuck up in the very tall grass and put a patched round ball in the neck of this 4X2 buck.

https://i.imgur.com/hbjEyXb.jpg

Last Sunday morning i was sitting in a stand overlooking a game trail when a doe came up the trail. Distance was about 70 yards. The doe was quartering to and i aimed just in front of the shoulder. Bullet exited just behind the off shoulder.

There are no photos of this one-forgot my camera. At the shot the doe took off, went about 50 yards and piled up. Bullet exited just behind the off shoulder.

The ball went too low: The heart and lungs were not hit. There was a huge hole in the brisket. There was blood everywhere on the trail.

This could have been a bad shot. i need to limit my shots to about 50 yards.

Congrats buddy! You certainly put the hurt on the deer this year. Has the deer population seen an increase lately?

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well Floyd.

Jon: Merry Christmas to you and your family.

The deer herd in south west and south central OK have rebounded dramatically. The relatively new OK Dep't of Agriculture hog regulations have reduced the hog problem at our lease to the benefit of the deer. There's still a lot of hogs there but nothing like before. We now have a serious hog problem at our place in Garvin county.

This year i killed my limit; two bucks and five does. Three were killed with patched round balls, three with the Encore and 250 grain SST bullets in sabots and one using a .308. All were one shot kills except the one shot with the .308: That one required a second shot. Three were killed in trips to a big wheat field in Tillman county.

Gave them away except the doe killed last Sunday. She's in the cooler on ice until the butcher shop opens tomorrow morning. That doe was killed on the trail where we saw the hogs. There's a stand in a tree there now.

here the local meat processor wont or cant by law take deer. your lucky if they do down their.

Nice buck there falcon,i was stationed at Ft.Sill along time ago and don't remember many deer there. It looks like you have a good herd now though Congrats on your hunts.

Up until now I’ve used conicals only for hunting. I’m entering the land of PRB in hopes of using that this season. Nice to see others hunting with PRB... and hearing their experiences. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back