%&$#! torx screws on Omega.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a bad shot the other day inside of 50 yards. Was aiming for a high shoulder shot so the doe would not run because I was near a property line. Knocked the doe down but she got up and ran off. No blood other than a spot at point of impact. Tried to track her for about four hours which should have been easy in the snow except for the thousand of other tracks in the woods. Had to finally give up as I was already trespassing. Feeling a little disgusted with myself I am hoping I just skimmed the back. Could not find anything wrong with my Omega, I sighted in and practiced before season and was very confident. Got out to the range yesterday and, sure enough, at 25 yards I was hitting pretty high.

Cleaning the gun at home I fully broke it down (something I don't normally do till end of season to keep the point of aim). All the torx screws seemed tight until I finally noticed a slight "click" when wiggling the rear lug. There is one torx screw that is under the action that cannot be accessed unless you remove one the trigger assembly pins. Of course it was loose. Tightened with loctite and now have to get back to the range to check it out.

Lesson learned, hopefully not at the expense of a badly wounded deer. Whomever at TC made the decision to replace the welded lugs with the screwed-on ones should have his a$$ removed.

Link to tightening Omega action: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32470

All my smoker Omegas (1) are welded or sitting in line (2 = 1 SS 1 blu) to go to "Bestill" to have Brux barrels installed. Already have 1 Bestill/Brux Omega my current favorite SML, just trying to raise $ to have the rest done. W

I have the same issue with my blued omega x7. My rear screw hole is stripped. I haven't been able to get anyone to weld or braze the rear lug for me. Please post if you find a solution.

Cattledog said:
I have the same issue with my blued omega x7. My rear screw hole is stripped. I haven't been able to get anyone to weld or braze the rear lug for me. Please post if you find a solution.
That sounds like a valid warranty issue. Have you called TC?

SteveH said:
Cattledog said:

Suggestion only... take it to a machinist - he can fix or re-drill and tap the hole.

or take it to a welder and have them tack it with a tig welder.
A good welder can do it no problem.

sabotloader said:
SteveH said:
Cattledog said:

Suggestion only... take it to a machinist - he can fix or re-drill and tap the hole.

dbowling said:
or take it to a welder and have them tack it with a tig welder.
A good welder can do it no problem.

sabotloader said:
SteveH said:

On my original Omega - the lug assembly was welded on!

Omega-Rear-Lug.jpg

yes if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing, but don't take it to back yard welder.. a good gunsmith could do it or would know someone who can.. might check with Bestill here on the forum.

dragonfly said:
Is it possible to weld it up without doing damage?

Back