traditional beginner bow opinions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilsbury38

Reaction score
I have always loved bow hunting but have been thinking I would like to try a traditional bow. Anyone have some ideas on what I should start with that wont break the bank? Target and hunting

check out PSE, they are making some good stick bows for a great price.

Are you looking for a recurve or longbow?

For a recurve I would suggest the samick sage. It is a take down recurve, around the 135 dollar mark and as you progress, you can purchase a new set of limbs for it and bump up the draw weight. As far as a longbow goes, I can't help you there.

I have a samick sage and it is a pretty solid bow for the money. The limbs are fast flight compatible, so you can get a fast flight string for it.

I am thinking recurve prolly around the 40lb range. That should be ok to deer hunt with right?

I was just looking at those bows and i'd easily go with the 50lber. Ebay has them brand new for $129 and free shipping!

It depends on what your hunting regulations are in your state on draw weight.

As far as a 40lb recurve killing a deer....yeah, it will kill a deer. Make a good shot, with a good fixed blade head and you will have a dead deer every time.

Broadheads are scary lethal, they sometimes kill faster that a bullet, with a heart/lung shot.

side note: Dont over bow yourself, pick a light enough weight you can develope good form with. You can always upgrade your limbs later down the road. I know this from experience, I chose a 50lb recurve to start with and was humbled real quick (I shoot 70lb compound). I was frustrated to say the least and had absolutley no consitency. I was ready to quit, I eventually broke down and bought a samick sage in 30lbs and have been working with that. I am ready to upgrade my limbs and I am going to get some 45lbers and call it good.

:D

The first thought is to get a bow in the 35/40# range. You want a bow that you could build skill as well as muscle. Worse case is to buy a bow that you will be struggling to work with. Thats no fun. When I worked at the archery shop I used to watch these guys come in and buy a bow and expect to hit a 12" ballon at 15 yards only to find they couldn't draw the bow back at all and anchor the arrow in the proper place at their lip.
I have custom made bows by Bob Lee and they are only 50#'s @29"s. That is more then enough to kill all the critters in the US. I've taken deer and hawgs with them and never lost one.
Instinctive shooting was really easy for me but others just can't get it. Takes a lot of PRACTICE. For me hitting a 4" balloon at 20 yards was pretty easy. I would shoot 125/150 arrows on a saterday morning without any problems. To shoot that may arrows your mucsles have to be developed long before. That means starting with a lighter bow and go up in poundage a little at a time. I shot a recurve for many years but now, my bows hang on the bow rack. Haven't shot in years. Muscles went to hell.
Good luck,
Ray.............. ;)

Dang ray you made me nervious now on which poundage to buy. Lol. My Mathews z7 is only set on 52lbs because of shoulder issues. Maybe I had better go to a shop and shoot some before I try to guess and find out I cant do it. I don't think I would want to hunt whitetail with anything less than 40 lbs though. Thanks for all the info from all of you!

:D

pilsbury38,
Keep this in mind, when you shoot a compound there is the left off of 60 to 80% and after the first few inches on the draw the cams kick in and now its like holding nothing. On a recurve there is no let off. When I was shooting my Mathews OUTBACK it was set at 68#'s but there was a 80% left off. I was holding maybe 18 to 24 pounds. When I went to my recurve, drawing 50#s is drawing 50#'s all the way back with no let off. Start out light light and move up slowly or you might pull more muscles then you think you had. No matter what anyone tells you, drawing the recurve vs the compound they are two seperate critters. Don't get hurt.
GOOD LUCK.
RAY................... ;)

Well I stooped at a local sporting goods store today and they had a 45 lb hoyt dorado. I shot it a few times and I think the poundage would be fine but I don't think I need a $450 bow to learn with. Bounced the string off my arm everytime I shot! So there is much learning for me to do. Seriously thinking about ordering the sage before jumping up to a higher end bow.

pilsbury38 said:
Well I stooped at a local sporting goods store today and they had a 45 lb hoyt dorado. I shot it a few times and I think the poundage would be fine but I don't think I need a $450 bow to learn with. Bounced the string off my arm everytime I shot! So there is much learning for me to do. Seriously thinking about ordering the sage before jumping up to a higher end bow.
Shouldn't have string slap. Either you are not bending your bow-arm elbow slightly, or the brace height is set too low.

I shoot both traditional and modern equipment. When I started bowhunting in the early 70's recurves were about all there was. Over the years, I've owned a pile of them. My current bow is a Black Widow T/D PSAX 60" 53#. I too have shoulder issues, and sometimes I can't hunt with this bow. I had the hoyt Buffalo this spring, and really liked it, just shot my Widow better. I also had a Bear T/D which I sold in Aug. and it was a nice bow. I would recomend a T/D model, because you can start with light limbs, get used to shooting it and have the same riser, and move to what weight bow is best for you. Follow these links. http://www.3riversarchery.com/
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/CLASSIFIEDS.CFM
Used bows are the way to go when starting out. I've bought several off of leatherwall, and have yet to run into a bad deal. I shoot woodsman broadheads from Three Rivers Archery, and they do a number, Before them, I shot Zwickey's (great broadhead). Good Luck, Traditional archery is a lot of fun.

I shoot Traditional bows and all of the guys are telling you right. Start low and work your way up. 60 lbsis the max I would recommend to anyone it will get the job done on any critter you will likely face. The best way to go is the used route if possible. You will be changing your weight and they want break the bank.

I layed off shooting for about 5years and got them out this year and had to start with the 40lber I am up to 55 lbs now. When i quite I was shooting a 65lbs martin Hatfield takedown. So that should tell you what you are facing. I shot just about everyday for 5 or 6 years and then went to 2 or 3 days a week. I got to one point that I would shoot 30minutes everyday just to kept the muscles in shape.

Traditionasl archery is in my book the only way to bow hunt, it is so simple, not counting the fun you will have.

:scratch:

With all this talk about bows I may have to get my Bob Lee out and start shooting again :!:

Ray........ ;)

My first traditional bow

My first traditional bow was a Browning Explorer ll 45 # recurve. Traditional was my way to go, until I saw people shooting longbows and I was in love. Went from the recurve into a H. Hill 67# longbow and once I learned how to shoot it, never looked back. Graduated to a 70# Hill bow and then a 72# Hill bow. Awesome shooters they are.
I'll probably buy another  yet....who knows. We'll see. Thinking about it for sure.

You can buy good stick bows for a great price. It depends on what your hunting regulations are in your state on draw weight. Recently I go hunting with my metal detector, which makes me find some coins. which Add me a lot of fun.

A metal "detectorist?........"go out look for metal...then go to the pub.........then go back out look for metal.....then go to the pub.....then go back out look for metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgN7z0SD8v8

I have a dozen custom made cedar shaft, barred turkey feather arrows with field points........but no bow! :slaps:

I see this topic has been running for awhile now and after reading through I thought I throw in a few cents worth - Good advice to start light and work your way up. Even after a short while of not shooting I need to start back at a lower weight and work back up - The best plan is to go to an archery store with an indoor range... We have several.... You can test out the bows both new and used, get some pointers and perhaps find out the best weight to start you out. You need to be able to draw and hold full without shaking or straining arms or shoulders. so try em out first and see what feels right for you. The Sammick Sage and the PSE Coyote are both good solid starter bows if you want a take down. Both have limbs you can order later to upgrade the draw weight.....
img_3411.jpg

I like my Vintage Bear Grizzly - I've collected a group of recurves and long bows.... Don't know what my favorite is...

Latest posts

Back