traditional beginner bow opinions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pilsbury38 said:
I am thinking recurve prolly around the 40lb range. That should be ok to deer hunt with right?
Check your states regs.  Texas, for instance, requires 45 lb.

Seems you and I hawkthrower have the same problem with hanging onto those old traditional bows. Here's my aged, vintage BEAR Grizzly
( 50 # at 28") with a Flemish twist string that's still throws 'em in the bulls eye.
20170106_094337_-_Copy_zpsx559mvfc.jpg

20170106_095533_-_Copy_zpsh1vt35ya.jpg

20170106_095709_-_Copy_zpsydbpbxvw.jpg

A 45# Samick Sage is the best beginner bow, in my opinion.  I struggle to shoot too light of a bow, but that is just me.  I prefer 50-55 pounds.  If I were to hold at full draw and aim, a lighter bow might be in order, but the way I see it, an archer just as well shoot a compound if they are going to shoot that way.

Yep Marty I do have an archery illness........ last count 9 (and she is asking why?!)........ mostly Ben Pearson from the 60's -70's
but there are several "newer" bows as well including a Sage and a martin......but still have not got the wheelbow bug.

"Ya gotta love them Grizzlys." I, too, am a BIG Grizzly fan, having owned as many as 11 at once. BUT I feel the best kept secret in vintage traditional archery is the Shakespeare Necedah. Same basic geometry as the Grizzly and Bob Lee Red Wing Hunter, but less expensive. My go-to bow is a late '60s 50#er.

-Joe

Beginners make a HUGE mistake by started with a bow with too heavy a draw
weight.

DO NOT do this.

Beginners oft develop bad form by using a hunting draw weight bow.
Bad archery form habits can be very, very, hard to break.

If you're an average adult then start with a 30 pound bow.
If slight build a 20 pound bow.
Develop GOOD form 1st and start shooting at 10 FEET, not yards.

Shoot for group first.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow.html

$139.99 won't break the bank.

This was my "starter" bow and remains my "go to" bow. It's that nice.

I have (or had) the 49 th largest whitetail buck bow harvest in the state.
Records are made to be broken.

Most important is GOOD arrows.

The best bow won't shoot a bad arrow but a poor bow will shoot a good arrow.

Books/read. That way you won't get some wanna be's bad advise.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/beginners-guide-to-traditional-archery.html

^^^ by Byron Ferguson a WORLD CLASS archer.

NO sights. Instinctive shooter, so I'm I.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/beginners-guide-to-traditional-archery.html

Nice bow ya got there Dragonheart. Fast Flight surely a plus for speed on a recurve. 
What is your bow's length...I'm guessing 62" :?:

60" bow.  That is my favorite length for hunting with a recurve.  I have a 28" draw with a recurve and higher wrist.

Dragonheart said:
60" bow.  That is my favorite length for hunting with a recurve.  I have a 28" draw with a recurve and higher wrist.
We seem to have similar draw lengths and prefer the same bow poundage for traditional.  I use wooden arrows with my stick bows, and aluminum for my compound and recurve. 

My go-to arrow
20171111_091443_-_Copy.jpg

for recurves consists of 29.25" XX75's in 2018, 5/16" nocks, 3 five-inch left helical feathers, and 100 grain heads.  They weigh-in at around 502 grains.

I shoot 2115 with glue on adapter (40 grains) and 175 grain grizzly 3 blade instincts.  I shoot 4 fletch vanes off an elevated arrow rest.  This doe was taken with a ol Wing recurve...and aluminum arrow.

494ebf11.jpg

Even the simplicity of traditional archery equipment entails many variables in choosing the correct arrow.  As with firearms the archer too has projectile weight options.  That's why one bow can shoot many arrows if they are spined correctly.  I always had a tendency to shoot the heavier walled (18's 19's) aluminums...only because they where less likely to bend when I miss the target :lol:

Making wooden arrows is always challenging for me.  Unlike aluminum arrows, simply rotating the arrow shaft will yield a different spine for the same arrow, so nock alignment becomes an important factor. 

------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Nice doe!

Latest posts

Back