Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I know nothing about this pistol. The main question at hand is can it be used practically as a shooter? It is very affordable new- the 200 dollar range. My Dad acquired one. I just want to know if it is a replica-sit-on-the shelf-pistol, or a bang-bang-fun pistol. 

Anyone know anything about this one? Thanks.

tradit10.jpg

They are Pietta brand in a Traditions box. Great shooters and good looking pistols. I used to have the 1860 and they are a blast to shoot.

FrontierGander said:
They are Pietta brand in a Traditions box. Great shooters and good looking pistols. I used to have the 1860 and they are a blast to shoot.
Thanks, FG. My Dad will be pleased.

These are very affordable, then. Wow. I looked up the 1860, too. It sells for around 500?

The Pietta made 1851 Navy revolvers are terrific firearms and, as already stated, fun to shoot. If I recall correctly, the brass framed 1851 Navy can't handle the higher powder loads that the steel framed revolvers can. I know that to be the case with the 36 cal 1851. My 1851 Navy is 36 cal and the 1860 Army is 44 cal. Both are steel framed. The brass framed versions were much less expensive, but I didn't want the powder-pressure limitations.
I would have no qualms about shooting it regularly, but I would check first about the recommended loads.
Ron

Ive got the Uberti 1860 Army and didnt pay anything close to 500 for mine. The one thing I have read about the army though is Pietta does a better job with the cylinder shaft length. With my Uberti I needed to make a spacer so when the barrel is put back on after removing the cylinder the spacing is the same.

Interesting guys, knew about the brass frame issues, never heard about the cylinder shaft length before on the Uberti , thanks.

Pietta Sheriff started my bug nice guns careful with brass frames one can shoot out (stretch) the soft brass....Mine is used a few times a month with 20 grains some consider it weak but I`d like to keep the gun it is a hoot to shoot.

CVA Enthusiast said:
Pietta Sheriff started my bug nice guns careful with brass frames one can shoot out (stretch) the soft brass....Mine is used a few times a month with 20 grains some consider it weak but I`d like to keep the gun it is a hoot to shoot.
Brass frames will stretch if not careful on your loads.   :thumb down:

Buck Conner said:
CVA Enthusiast said:
Brass frames will stretch if not careful on your loads.   :thumb down:
YUP I believe I said it eventually brass frames  do "Shoot Out" or stretch of course higher powder load the faster it achieves this.

My 1851 is fun to shoot!
Feeling lazy, I bought an extra cylinder and a six chamber loading device. That way, I get 12 shots before reloading and can reload each cylinder quickly with 6 balls at one time.
The price to pay is the time it takes to clean the pistol after shooting.
Ron

20 to 25 grains FFFg or FFg under a round ball. Malt-O-Meal or Cream of Wheat (uncooked) rammed over the ball. Grease/lube melts on the chambers next to the one fired. The dry cereal is non-flamable, won't damage the barrel, and "scrubs" most of the fouling out of the barrel from the previous shot.

On another forum, the brass frames were determined to be bronze and as strong as steel.  Does anyone know if this is so?  Inquiring minds want to know...…….robin

robinsroost said:
On another forum, the brass frames were determined to be bronze and as strong as steel. Does anyone know if this is so? Inquiring minds want to know...…….robin
On an early Navy Arms Henry rifle with the brass frame later called bronze, either one had issues with stretching at the receiver. Then they put out a warning about not using Buffalo Ammo and later about reloads. Brass or Bronze will stretch.

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
I have that same pistol and I am curious.  There are lots of speculation and repeated warnings without any proof.  Has anyone shot one of these pistols to the point that the frame actually stretched and became unsafe to shoot?  If so, how long did it take and what was your load.  I normally load 20 grains of 3fg or 777 for target practice.  I intend to load 30 grains for hunting.  Keep yer powder dry...…...robin

I have shot these revolvers but was careful with the charges after seeing how an expensive Navy Arms Henry rifle's frame stretched.   Good luck.

I have shot my Piatta hundreds of times never had any problem with the frame stretching I shoot normal loads nothing in excess just target shooting anyway. I have 2 Henry rifles with brass receivers a 44 Mag lever and a 44/40 Henry shoot scores of reloads in both and never had any stretch on either of them.

"Stretching" brass frames was a condition perpetrated by some well-meaning fool in the 60's - may have even been Val Forgett or Turner Kirkland.

When you blast away with full cylinder loads in a brass frame revolver, eventually the cylinder develops end shake (Smith & Wesson gunsmithing terminology) - where the cylinder moves forward & rearward within the frame. Immediately this looks like the frame has stretched. In reality, excess rearward recoil causes the rear of the cylinder to batter and peen the frame recess, inducing the loose cylinder condition.

Bronze frames aren't soft, they are tough, and don't stretch, but excess impact will cause damage. You can shoot a brass framed revolver for all your life, using lighter and more accurate target loads, and the cylinder will never loosen up.

If you want to blast away at maximum velocity and minimum accuracy, go buy a .357 or .44 mag. When you're done blasting & want to do some actual accurate shooting, go load up your brass-framed cap & revolver. For .36 cal (real Navy) 17 grains 3F with paper or felt wad and RB, or .44 (actually Army) 23 grains 3F with paper or felt wad, will give you optimum accuracy in either Colts or Remingtons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back