Traditions Strikerfire?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with this gun? I have a CVA Wolf, but I am looking to have a second inline for a different hunting location. I could get another Wolf, Optima or maybe even splurge for an Accura, but was curious about the Strikerfire...the hammer spur on my Wolf rides real close to the scope...requires a little dexterity. ANybody love it, hate or anything?

I have one with a Burris Sabot Drop Tine 3-9x mounted low. No issues with my hand accessing the slide under the scope. I don't use heavy gloves so not sure how that would impact anything. I believe Traditions licensed the trigger system from T/C so it's probably the same as that one. I bought the setup to use when hunting fields and cutovers. On occasion, I do have an issue with it locking in the fire position and have to keep sliding the "switch" forward until it does. Not sure if its me or not. Accuracy is on par with my other rifles. This one is currently using the 250 gr Bloodline over 110 grs of BH209 and/or 777. If I recall correctly it groups about 1 1/2 in at 100yds.
Funny, I keep looking at buying another Wolf in nitride with the wideland camo. No reason, just like how it looks.
John

So you're looking to buy this and a pedersoli hawken hunter at the same time? Why don't you just pool your money together and buy one good rifle.

So you're looking to buy this and a pedersoli hawken hunter at the same time? Why don't you just pool your money together and buy one good rifle.
{Sheepish} - I have a lucky but complicated situation. I have a hunting cabin in one place and a club that I hunt at in another. It gets a little tiring to keep dragging the guns back and forth between places, so I am always trying to figure out what balance of firearms to have in what place. Maryland has three distinct firearms seasons...a rifle season, a muzzleloader season and a primitive muzzleloader season. Right now I have:
Wolf .50 cal
Deerhunter . 50 cal
Ruger 350 Legend.

If I get the Hawken Hunter, I might consider making it my "only" weapon for location A ...putting a scope on it {is it drilled and tapped?} using it for muzzleloader and rifle and then taking the scope off to use for primitive. That would probably make the most financial sense. No shots in location A are longer than 75-100 yards. That is certainly what my wife would prefer...less money and less "clutter" {her word for too many guns}.

In location B, shots can be 150 and even 200 yards in theory but high power rifles are not allowed, only shotguns and straight walled.

I guess I can turn this into a question: For a grand or under - which muzzleloader would YOU buy that'd be flexible and reliable enough to use for all three weapon seasons, that is flexible enough to accomodate whatever kind of bullet I want to use {other than PRB which I am willing to not shoot} and which is not super fussy in terms of cleaning etc.

But, like Deermanok said...who wants to have just one?!

CVA Optima northwest edition comes to mind, so does Traditions Buckstalker.
Both come with Williams fiber optic sights and I'm pretty sure that both are drilled and tapped for scope.

I can't think of many traditional side hammer guns that are factory drilled and tapped for a scope, other than the deerhunter rifle and perhaps a few older Thompson Center models.
I once owned a Traditions Buckskinner carbine, 21 inch stainless barrel, fast 1/20 twist with a laminate stock.
I sold it a few years ago like a dummy.
It was drilled and tapped too. I had an old Tasco scope on it. Very accurate with conical bullets.
Maybe you could find one of those somewhere.

I can only add this.

I have no weapon specific seasons, I just hunt with what I enjoy most.

I have an inline which I've had for 8 years or so and I did enjoy it but got to the point where I wanted a real sidelock.

I ordered a pedersoli hawken hunter but before it arrived decided if I was going to buy a sidelock I may as well do it right. I changed my order to a Missouri River 50 cal and am glad I did. It's a beautiful rifle, and as you can see if you go through my threads it's good enough to kill multiple buffalo. It's a 1:24" twist and I'm not above using sabots. I would say it's a true 200 yard gun, I'm currently working on that myself.

Go that way and it opens up the chance at multiple seasons for you. I've hunted in the rain and not had any ignition issues, besides there are things you can do to address that. It can be tapped and drilled if you want a scope, I just added tang peep.

Back