Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Just a quick thought . I was on the range Sun and I was playing with my old Optima in 45 with a 25 acp plug . I was playing with some bullets anyway as usual the only thing this barrel will shoot is the PR bullet 200 gr Dead Center the Hornady 200 sst are close . But this is more about powder once I had the Hornady close I was still getting flyers so I dumped out about 10 shots of powder and opened a fresh bottle of fffg triple 7 no more flyers . Why ? Is it very fine pieces messing up the measurements? Is it broken or crumbled pieces causing erratic burn? Or was it age 3 yrs ? If I’m throwing out 10-15 shots to get best accuracy then I might as well just pay for BH209.

On the plus side this was the first time this rifle has shot under 1.5 inches with Triple 7. It has done it with BH209.

I am no expert but I have noticed my gun does not like a weaker powder charge and 10 grains can make the difference between a 6 inch group and a 2-3 inch group. Maybe it could be variance in the amount of energy each load was putting out.

I have seen this before with both T7 and Pyrodex loose powder that was stored inside with closed tight lids. I had it happen at different times with a bottle of Pyrodex P and RS back in the '90's. My friends have had it happen with T7 while I was there shooting with them. New fresh bottle opened and all problems went away.

I am no expert but I have noticed my gun does not like a weaker powder charge and 10 grains can make the difference between a 6 inch group and a 2-3 inch group. Maybe it could be variance in the amount of energy each load was putting out.
This might be my problem with my inline CVA Wolf. My groups are all over the place. I have not tried any load over 80 grains. Next time I will try 100 and see if it helps.

This might be my problem with my inline CVA Wolf. My groups are all over the place. I have not tried any load over 80 grains. Next time I will try 100 and see if it helps.
I have a CVA as well and she likes a good amount of powder. Some get best results with 130-150 grains but that’s too much of a thump for me.

I’ve been working my way up from 80 grains in 5 grain increments and currently getting around 2-3 inch groups with 95 grains. I’m going to keep trying hotter loads

Here is the new BH209 ---- Switch to Shooters Worl multi purpose Black -- 3/4 groups at 100 yrds with T/c - sst shock waves 250 and xtp with blue harvaster sabots. Only 70 fps slower than T7 with no crud ring and less smoke. 23.99 per pound from Scheels. out of CVA MR-X 45 slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 all day long

would a 777mz primer or 209A be better with that powder Laudy ?

would a 777mz primer or 209A be better with that powder Laudy ?
Hello, I tried the cheddite (sp) and CCI 209, Huge crud ring with T7 Winchester BP primers and Remington Clean Bore BP Primers with T7 the crud ring was less or not as prominent with the WN and RM primers. With SWBP I still had to swab after the 4th shot for it was starting to get tight. But no crud ring with the primers I outlined here. I am enjoying the powder. Like Mr. Tom said Time will tell Hope I answered you question.

Here is the new BH209 ---- Switch to Shooters Worl multi purpose Black -- 3/4 groups at 100 yrds with T/c - sst shock waves 250 and xtp with blue harvaster sabots. Only 70 fps slower than T7 with no crud ring and less smoke. 23.99 per pound from Scheels. out of CVA MR-X 45 slapping 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 all day long
As Mr Tom outlined I have no claim to state that SWBP is the new BH209. That was not fair to anyone. I was just excited that I have found a pound that works well, No Crud ring and I can shoot 4 times before I cleaned the bore. As over half the price I was excited I did not mean to mislead anyone. Stay safe

Dam it had to be cold today. I will testing t7, Pyrodex rs, SWBP and Swiss 2fg today shooting a MR-X CVA .45. I will let you know my results of the testing this evening after I thaw out. hahaha

Ok here is the Run down today: Temp 19 F
Rifle;s Used CVA Optima V2 .50 cal Bullets FED BORELOCK 270 trophy copper, Hornady XTP 240 Grn Sabot, T/C Shockwave 250 GRN,
CVA Accura MR-X .45 Cal Bullets T/c Shockwave .200. Hornady XTP ,400 155 grn harvester Blue sabot

All powder charges were loose powder by volume. For the .50 cal 100 grns of T7 FFg, Pyrodex RS, Swiss 2 FG, SWBP
.45 cal 80 grns of T7 FFg, Pyrodex RS, SWBP

Chrono Graph was very Cold and I would take in the truck and warm it up between sets. Here is what I learned.

The Swiss was very dirty and required swabbing after the second shots. Love that smell
The T7 got very hard to load in both rifles after the second shot and had a crud ring using Cheddite Priners. When I used the Winchester BP Primers the crud ring was a little better but the fouling was still tight.
Pyrodex RS did foul but minimal Crud ring and I could load all three rounds with force.
SWBP No Crud ring and I could load all Three shots with ease. The Smoke produced with SWBP was similar to Pyrodex but smelled completely different. SWBP Stinks,

Average Speeds ,50 cal first Fed Borelocks 1741 DIV 180 Hornady 240 Grn XTP Grn Sabot 1803 DIV 87 T/C Shockwave 250 GRN 1851 Div 77 T7
1707 DIV 113 1753 DIV 83 1790 Div 58 SWBP
1751 Div 156 1791 DIV 67 1764 Div 84 PYRO

.45 CAL T/C Shockwave 200 Grn 1907 DIV 72 Hornady XTP Harvester BLU 1973 Div 66 T7
1803 DIV 89 1858 Div 105 Pyrodex
1823 DIV 55 1880 Div 48 SWBP

So what did I learn, Well, all bullet and rifles shot well. I did not shoot paper today and will redo this test for grouping on a warmer day. Div might have been more consistent if I would have taken my time and applied the same loading pressure. The BORELOCKS do not really fit my Optima bore well so I would not use this bullet. However I was able to ring steel all day with all shots at 100 yrds It was to cold to run up and down the range to change out paper. I wanted to see how these rifles loaded and fouled with different powders. I will say the crud ring was very noticeable with T7. Do I think there is winner. Well if you want FPS T7 took that title. If want to shoot all day with minimal fouling. SWBP won that. If you don't want a stinky powder SWBP is not your choice. So terminal performance is calculated with many factors and velocity is one of them If that is the Case T7 performed best in that area. As for cleaning and cost per shot and ease of Loading SWBP got the win there. In a hunting scenario we may only fire our weapons once or twice max. Lots to think about. Again this was not scientific it was cold and stiff out there this morning. It was fun just to shoot. So there are some numbers and items for you. As for shooting Swiss in the MRX I will never do that so I did not try it. It was fun just shooting today, Now the cleaning begins :) Have a good weekend. Be safe

Any idea on the corosiveness of the shooters world? I get my best results from blackhorn on a dirty bore. Crud ring is so bad on 777 I can't shoot a second shot without cleaning after each shot. When hunting I shoot a shot of BH at home before I go to camp and leave the bore dirty for the season. Don't really want to try that with Pyrodex.

Ok here is the Run down today: Temp 19 F
Rifle;s Used CVA Optima V2 .50 cal Bullets FED BORELOCK 270 trophy copper, Hornady XTP 240 Grn Sabot, T/C Shockwave 250 GRN,
CVA Accura MR-X .45 Cal Bullets T/c Shockwave .200. Hornady XTP ,400 155 grn harvester Blue sabot

All powder charges were loose powder by volume. For the .50 cal 100 grns of T7 FFg, Pyrodex RS, Swiss 2 FG, SWBP
.45 cal 80 grns of T7 FFg, Pyrodex RS, SWBP

Chrono Graph was very Cold and I would take in the truck and warm it up between sets. Here is what I learned.

The Swiss was very dirty and required swabbing after the second shots. Love that smell
The T7 got very hard to load in both rifles after the second shot and had a crud ring using Cheddite Priners. When I used the Winchester BP Primers the crud ring was a little better but the fouling was still tight.
Pyrodex RS did foul but minimal Crud ring and I could load all three rounds with force.
SWBP No Crud ring and I could load all Three shots with ease. The Smoke produced with SWBP was similar to Pyrodex but smelled completely different. SWBP Stinks,

Average Speeds ,50 cal first Fed Borelocks 1741 DIV 180 Hornady 240 Grn XTP Grn Sabot 1803 DIV 87 T/C Shockwave 250 GRN 1851 Div 77 T7
1707 DIV 113 1753 DIV 83 1790 Div 58 SWBP
1751 Div 156 1791 DIV 67 1764 Div 84 PYRO

.45 CAL T/C Shockwave 200 Grn 1907 DIV 72 Hornady XTP Harvester BLU 1973 Div 66 T7
1803 DIV 89 1858 Div 105 Pyrodex
1823 DIV 55 1880 Div 48 SWBP

So what did I learn, Well, all bullet and rifles shot well. I did not shoot paper today and will redo this test for grouping on a warmer day. Div might have been more consistent if I would have taken my time and applied the same loading pressure. The BORELOCKS do not really fit my Optima bore well so I would not use this bullet. However I was able to ring steel all day with all shots at 100 yrds It was to cold to run up and down the range to change out paper. I wanted to see how these rifles loaded and fouled with different powders. I will say the crud ring was very noticeable with T7. Do I think there is winner. Well if you want FPS T7 took that title. If want to shoot all day with minimal fouling. SWBP won that. If you don't want a stinky powder SWBP is not your choice. So terminal performance is calculated with many factors and velocity is one of them If that is the Case T7 performed best in that area. As for cleaning and cost per shot and ease of Loading SWBP got the win there. In a hunting scenario we may only fire our weapons once or twice max. Lots to think about. Again this was not scientific it was cold and stiff out there this morning. It was fun just to shoot. So there are some numbers and items for you. As for shooting Swiss in the MRX I will never do that so I did not try it. It was fun just shooting today, Now the cleaning begins :) Have a good weekend. Be safe
Great post Laudy - I love data. Looks like no surprises. I’m having a tough time following though - maybe the formatting got a little messsd up in your post (happens to me all the time) And what is “Div?”

Back