Triple 777 in Hawkins

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotter nipples like Red hots or Spitfires....... switching to 777 FFF, are two good ways to avoid hangfires.

Just make sure you buy some Choke Tube Lube for the threads of those nipples and for that tiny cleanout screw of your drum. Otherwise you may face seizures of one or both.

Lastly, never shoot more than twice before swabbing the bottom of your breech with a nylon brush and slightly wet patch. Windex, 91% alcohol, even T/C-13 solvent works good for alleviating crusty 777 buildup.

forrest-hunter said:
Will triple 777 hang-fire using #11 caps - do I need to use musket caps -

Agree with all above...also use a hot #11 cap like Remington magnum caps or my favorite RWS 1075. You shouldn't have a problem with those.

I shoot it all the time in traditional rifles. I do use stainless steel nipples that might be considered "Hot Shots" but are not labeled as such. I purchase them at RMC Sports. If I prepare the rifle correctly, I have never had a problem shooting 2 or 3 f Triple Seven powder. And actually accuracy is very good. The one thing you might find is you need a wad between the powder and the patch as I have had patches completely burned up without the wad. But this is not true in all rifles. A CVA Mountain Stalker shot 777 perfect. But it needed a wad between the powder and patch/ball. Yet my Traditions Woodsman shoots 777 fine without a wad.

I use fffg in my 50 regularly and have never had an issue with hang fire. I use cci mag #11's with 90gr powder and GP 385gr and it works well for me.

I have use Triple Seven 2F in my TC Hawken rifles for years and never had a problem. I use the hot shot nipple and always use some breech plug grease on the nipple threads and the clean out screw. I have found that if a rifle is properly cleaned and loaded you won't have problems with these guns.

He will be fine with either FF or FFF. Even in humid conditions, using 80 grains should be crud-ringless in a sidelock. That smaller cap ignition is better for keeping crud away period. But the smaller cap ignition could suggest to prime the nipple area before heading out to the hunting woods on humid days. Sprinkle some powder down there, then reinstall the nipple. Use hot caps and a hot nipple year-round.

Triple seven 2F is my hunting powder shoots very well in my TC hawken rifles.

forrest-hunter said:

They all can hang fire if you do not get it loaded correctly...

I would also that you use T7-3f, for 3 reasons, it is easier to ignite than 2f and it burns a bit cleaner. More importantly it is easier to tap the powder out under the nipple while loading.

So I am suggesting when you can pour a partial load 20-30 grains in then tilt the rifle to side of the nipple and tap the side to influence the very small granules of 3f to move out of the bore and under the nipple where it is easily ignited even in freezing temps.

Also as someone has mentioned use the powerfull CCI #11 Mag caps. An even hotter cap is the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075+ caps. Certainly during hunting season. Both of these caps deliver the same heat temp that a musket cap does. "Just keep your powder dry" as the saying goes!!!

Most often you will not even have to touch the bore for several shots the powder burns so well.

Good Luck!!!

from all my observations as an RSO and watching the local club ml range shooters, 777 will ignite reasonably reliably with a #11 cap (most seem to use CCI) if the nipple, drum and breech (particularly patent breeches) are kept reasonably clean. the issue of a clean ignition system can also be true of black, but in my experience it's more so true with subs.

<on soap box>
real black powder and subs ... in the past i'd spent more than a bit of time testing and comparing a variety of sub brands (pyrodex, 777, clean shot/app, blackthorn) against real black powder (goex, swiss, kik, elephant, schuetzen, and last year some olde eynesford) in a borrowed and very reliable caplock. bottom line for me - i find that bp is just more ignition reliable than any subs using cap ignitions. however, since i prefer flinters, that eliminates the use of subs altogether because bp ignites in the pan and subs almost never will. flintlocks demand bp, and while caplocks don't have a pan, their reliability (and in my testing and observations, their performance) are better off being stoked with bp than subs. subs really have nothing in common with real black gunpowder. they are fast burning, expanding gas, deflagrating propellant, whereas bp is basically an explosive made of but three ingredients - sulphur, potassium nitrate and charcoal. one also needs to be careful that any particular trad ml will be safe to use subs. i'm not at all being elitist or snobby about bp vs. subs, that's objectively just the results of my testing that essentially views the reliability of ignition, and both fouling and cleaning issues. now i know some folks can't find the holy black locally because their LGS has ordinance issues storing bp, and not with subs, but it can be ordered online from more than a few very reliable sources such as maine powder house and powderinc. yes, there is the hazmat fee and shipping to deal with, but typically both can be avoided by ordering out a 25# lot - split it with yer buds or club. most folks won't go back once they've tried the "holy black". might be you, too - give 'er a try.
<off soap box - sorry if i've offended anyone, and if so, that was not my intent>

My findings mirror rfd's. Subs work out of side hammers just no where near as well as real black. If you shoot both out of the same rifle you will notice the ignition speed difference.

Responding for those who might search this topic in future years. I use Triple 7 FFG powder, Red hot nipple and No11 Remington Magnum musket caps in my Hawken. Great combo, no complaints.

forrest-hunter said:

Have not read all the way through this - I shoot T7 from my side hammers all the time but I use a #11 MAG cap to get it done even in sub freezing weather. A regular #11 cap can be questionable. The mag caps provide the same heat as does a Musket cap. I do use T7-3f in most cases when shooting caps.

Another trick you might try - pour in about 5 grains of your powder loader, lean the ML to the cap side and tap the opposite side to move powder out under the nipple then pour in the rest of the powder.

Another really good cap is the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap from Germany.

Latest posts

Back