trying for small groups?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shguns

Reaction score
Over the years I have dabbled with a couple of muzzleloaders. My first is a .54 TC Hawken. Then I had a TC Black Diamond. I sold the Black Diamond and bought a used Knight Disc Extreme. With a scope on the Knight it now appears that I can at least shoot it and tell whether or not the load I?m shooting is performing, so I feel like I?m getting somewhere with the inline.
On the sidelock .54 Hawken I still am not sure that I have made any strides. After seeing and reading of the success in getting accuracy that some members on here get, I believe that it is possible. In this .54 I have tried PRBs and TC Maxiballs, I have tried pyrodex rs, goex FFg, and now I have some Swiss FFg. The Swiss and pyrodex with PRB may turn into something but I?m still not sure. I have changed the rear sight from the factory original to a Lyman 57 peep. And I?m about ready to try a Lyman 17 Globe sight for a front to see if my lack of accurate groups is due to sights.
Another consideration is to breakdown and buy a GM .50 fast twist replacement barrel for this sidelock and put a Lyman 17 globe sight on that barrel to see if a different barrel will satisfy my desire for a really accurate traditional style muzzleloader.
Your opinions?
Muzzleloader shooting in my opinion is quite bit tougher to master than centerfire, maybe that?s why I really want to get it figured out, it?s a real challenge. For me anyway.

Many traditional rifles can be very aggravating. You think you have a good load and the next time out the rifle seems like a different rifle. I find with a 54 caliber, start with a 70 grains of pyrodex rs and work up from there with a round ball.

I'll give that a try,
I'm using .530 speer round balls with precut pillow ticking patches. I have lubed the patches with wonder lube 1000 from TC.
I also have some .535 speer round balls but with ticking patches they load HARD. Would you try a felt between powder and ball?

Some guys do use a felt wad under the patched ball with heavy loads. If you want the most out of patched round balls you need to get a copy of Dutch Schoults book. Go over to muzzleloading form and read the thread there on it. I'm sure I have misspelled his last name too. This guy did the home work on what it takes to shoot winning groups with the patched round ball. It is well worth the $15. From what I hear all the major teams and indviuals use his methods it is that good.

Latest posts

Back