Underhammer Kit Ordered

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes sir i ordered one of them cool looking boogers from Pecatonica this evening. No bbl, they just did not have anything i wanted. I did not get and sights nor ramrod jag n tip. I have a choice of cal's either a .40 or a .45. I don't think i want a 36" long bbl hanging on it either. Most likely 28-32 " 13/16" or a 7/8"

I've looked at those myself. Did you get the h and a type or the allen box lock looking one? I personally don't care for the looks of the h and a style compared to some of the original designs, like Kendall and billinghurst. Seems they make excellent guns though.

I've looked at those myself. Did you get the h and a type or the allen box lock looking one? I personally don't care for the looks of the h and a style compared to some of the original designs, like Kendall and billinghurst. Seems they make excellent guns though.
Yes i have the H&A on order, i like its looks n they seem to hold up well. I have not studied the Allen, i think they were not in stock but i could be wrong. Never know i may build on one of them in the future

Should make for a good build. I'm pretty much smitten with underhammers right now. Just gotta figure out how to build a flintlock one.

Should make for a good build. I'm pretty much smitten with underhammers right now. Just gotta figure out how to build a flintlock one.
I went & looked at the Allen action, it has a biult in trigger set-up n BP , but i am missing the percussion hammer for the nipple. It doesn't show that, & i have never laid eyes on one to see how they are put together

I think a very attractive rifle could be built out if the allen underhammer action. Would be more modern looking, more like a black powder cartridge rifle era look, but I think it could make a nice gun. Especially with a faster twist barrel for shooting big bullets long ranges. The h&a action seem like it should build into a very handy light rifle though.

If you aren’t aware, Pecatonica sells a pistol grip version for the H&A action. For my personal preference it’s a much more comfortable stock. I have them on 2 of my 3 rifles. The 3rd one is on order. Here’s a few pictures. I elected to install a recoil pad on 2 of mine.

Attachments

• 5274E73D-B289-4E47-AC30-3C895E983297.jpeg
    5274E73D-B289-4E47-AC30-3C895E983297.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DE9A5111-90BE-4AC4-B5B0-81031ADC80B7.jpeg
    DE9A5111-90BE-4AC4-B5B0-81031ADC80B7.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1
If you aren’t aware, Pecatonica sells a pistol grip version for the H&A action. For my personal preference it’s a much more comfortable stock. I have them on 2 of my 3 rifles. The 3rd one is on order. Here’s a few pictures. I elected to install a recoil pad on 2 of mine.
I had no idea they offered a Butt stock like that, dang it Harleyboss your spending my trout fishing money, thanks

Those are some beautiful pieces or wood harleysboss!

Here's a .50 cal. Allen Underhammer that I built several years ago. Absolutely awesome rifle. I've taken several whitetails with her. Nothin but praise for the quality of the Allen actions. Sadly, I've heard that they're no longer being manufactured due to ilness.
79c02c8d-aa8f-4cc1-8b97-bdc162dd9ba6_zpse10de325.jpg

Here's a .50 cal. Allen Underhammer that I built several years ago. Absolutely awesome rifle. I've taken several whitetails with her. Nothin but praise for the quality of the Allen actions. Sadly, I've heard that they're no longer being manufactured due to ilness.
View attachment 31140
Very nice rifle, you used the box action. I see they are hard to find now days. I see the scope set-up, i plan on doing that with mine. Is that a LH stock ? Who made them ?

Very nice rifle, you used the box action. I see they are hard to find now days. I see the scope set-up, i plan on doing that with mine. Is that a LH stock ? Who made them ?

Hi Smokepolehall. Yes, it's a left hand stock that I made from English walnut. I've attached a few more photos one of which shows what I started with. Thanks for your interest.TuKryfD.jpg
6Ji9WvK.jpg9Go5jCw.jpgmj84TzM(1).jpg

Attachments

• 79c02c8d-aa8f-4cc1-8b97-bdc162dd9ba6_zpse10de325.jpg
    79c02c8d-aa8f-4cc1-8b97-bdc162dd9ba6_zpse10de325.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1
You have very good wood working skills. The rifle is beautiful n tastefully made. Congrats on it. I am waiting on my kit from Pecatonica. I have my stock coming with kit will do for some time as i build the kit. Then i could fine some nice wood to work on for the next 5 years trying to get stock made likes yours. Real good chance i would end up with lots of saw n sanding wood dust

You have very good wood working skills. The rifle is beautiful n tastefully made. Congrats on it. I am waiting on my kit from Pecatonica. I have my stock coming with kit will do for some time as i build the kit. Then i could fine some nice wood to work on for the next 5 years trying to get stock made likes yours. Real good chance i would end up with lots of saw n sanding wood dust
Thank you very much my friend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back