Utah bans trail cameras

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now all I ever see is hunters in tree stands or ground blinds(tents), and I bet most of those are within 1/2 mile of the road. Where did all the “hunters” go!

This actually works for me. Part of my opening day plan is to always try and get a mile or two away from the nearest road. It just about guarantees I will be alone. When I scout I will look for game trails leading away from trailhead parking areas and try to intercept deer heading towards more remote cover.

A bunch of hunters in a small area can inadvertently act as drivers for someone willing to hike in a bit.

Last edited:
This actually works for me. Part of my opening day plan is to always try and get a mile or two away from the nearest road. It just about guarantees I will be alone. When I scout I will look for game trails leading away from trailhead parking areas and try to intercept deer heading towards more remote cover.
A bunch of hunters in a small area can inadvertently act as drivers for someone willing to hike in a bit.
I am very similar when hunting public land. I find large chunks that are several miles deep. Those back portions rarely get touched.

Just a FYI, not all of Virginia allows dogs for hunting deer. DWR has the state divided along I-81 basically, East of 81 and designated counties allow it. I hunt in on the West side, dog's are allowed for Bear and small game hunting.
Drone's were not allowed for hunting in 2021 seasons. Hunting over bait is not allowed, for years now, but it's okay over Agri fields. Deer urine is not allowed, but synthetic is, and yet CWD is spreading.

n the same RAC and Wildlife Board meetings, they unanimously passed the motion to scale back on muzzleloader technology again. Used to be that we couldn't use a magnifying scope at all during Muzzleloading season. About 6 years they removed that rule and have allowed powered scopes. It sure didn't take long for them to see the writing on the wall that the Muzzleloader season had essentially just become a "single shot rifle" season. Especially with the recent surge in "long range muzzleloader availability"
I have since learned that this is only a suggestion by all of the various RACs (Regional Advisory Councils) and it was unanimously decided that they will look at this in upcoming decisions and planning. They also agreed to create a "Technology Committee" to look specifically into technology that may create a "non fair chase" type of situation.

Wow! talk about going down a slippery slope. Having a committee pick what type of technology is okay, versus what type is taking it too far, becomes extremely subjective. I guess it depends on which groups have their voices heard the loudest and what pieces of proof they will accept and use. But for now, the scopes on a ML are good for at least 2022.

If you use a game camera don't call yourself a hunter and don't put your "trophy" in the books you did not earn that right imo. Private land is your business but still not fair imo.

I use game cameras.
1) To find out which cat is pooping outside the litter box.
2) to pattern and kill the animals that are tearing up the wifes flower garden. She spends entirely too much $ on plants. 🤬. I could buy another ML every year with all that money.
I used to use them hunting but they kept disappearing and weren't really helping me shoot deer anyway. I did get some very cool pics of wildlife.

One very nice thing about trail cameras is I know that when I see one in the woods, that suggests someone is probably visiting it often, stinking up the area and alerting all the deer in the area to avoid. I try to find those deer.
I have hunted the same way for years, I take five steps and stop and look around. Sometimes I wait 5 min, sometimes 20, sometimes all day. Depends on the sign in the area. It’s worked very well, it works even better as I get older, I’m slow as a snail!F6D896E9-1ECE-4D77-BD2D-16ED43F4A52D.jpeg

If you use a game camera don't call yourself a hunter and don't put your "trophy" in the books you did not earn that right imo. Private land is your business but still not fair imo.
Seariously?
First off, I am not sure why anyone would want to pay money to put their name in a book because they killed something big. That person must have an ego the size of Montana. But hey, that's their business. IMO
Second off not sure why anyone would make a blanket statement about people who put trail cams out. But hey, that's their business as well. IMO
I know plenty of great hunters, who are better than me and most likely you too. Guys who were always great hunters but didn't start messing with trail cams until recently. Trail cams did not make them better hunters. It just gave them pictures of wildlife when they were not afield. Another hobby if you will. Why, because they love wildlife and pictures of wildlife. These guys were top notch hunters before trail cams and are still top notch now. They are all ethical, good hunters. Trail cams did nothing to improve their skills or give them advantages.
I know plenty of mediocre hunters like myself who started using trail cams for fun. Not to become better hunters or get an unfair advantage. Believe when I tell you. They are still mediocre hunters and so am I.
Please show me evidence or data where people are all of a sudden killing monster deer and elk because they put out trail cams. Go ahead, I'll wait.
It's funny. I got invited to go deer hunting in western Maryland at a family farm after I graduated high school. I set up my stand the day before the opener. At the lodge that night, all the old timers were giving us young guys crap about our tree stands. Told us we were cheating. Oh well............

I have since learned that this is only a suggestion by all of the various RACs (Regional Advisory Councils) and it was unanimously decided that they will look at this in upcoming decisions and planning. They also agreed to create a "Technology Committee" to look specifically into technology that may create a "non fair chase" type of situation.

Wow! talk about going down a slippery slope. Having a committee pick what type of technology is okay, versus what type is taking it too far, becomes extremely subjective. I guess it depends on which groups have their voices heard the loudest and what pieces of proof they will accept and use. But for now, the scopes on a ML are good for at least 2022.

Fire hawk,
Just curious where you heard this from, it’s news to me? What RAC meeting was that? I’ve been scope shopping for my new Woodman Patriot when it gets built and don’t like what I’m hearing!

One very nice thing about trail cameras is I know that when I see one in the woods, that suggests someone is probably visiting it often, stinking up the area and alerting all the deer in the area to avoid. I try to find those deer.
I have hunted the same way for years, I take five steps and stop and look around. Sometimes I wait 5 min, sometimes 20, sometimes all day. Depends on the sign in the area. It’s worked very well, it works even better as I get older, I’m slow as a snail!View attachment 18696
Good looking bucks you killed there Bob. Congrats! Very well earned too.
Your style of hunting definitely takes lots of skill and patience. I commend you.

Seariously?
First off, I am not sure why anyone would want to pay money to put their name in a book because they killed something big. That person must have an ego the size of Montana. But hey, that's their business. IMO
Second off not sure why anyone would make a blanket statement about people who put trail cams out. But hey, that's their business as well. IMO
I know plenty of great hunters, who are better than me and most likely you too. Guys who were always great hunters but didn't start messing with trail cams until recently. Trail cams did not make them better hunters. It just gave them pictures of wildlife when they were not afield. Another hobby if you will. Why, because they love wildlife and pictures of wildlife. These guys were top notch hunters before trail cams and are still top notch now. They are all ethical, good hunters. Trail cams did nothing to improve their skills or give them advantages.
I know plenty of mediocre hunters like myself who started using trail cams for fun. Not to become better hunters or get an unfair advantage. Believe when I tell you. They are still mediocre hunters and so am I.
Please show me evidence or data where people are all of a sudden killing monster deer and elk because they put out trail cams. Go ahead, I'll wait.
It's funny. I got invited to go deer hunting in western Maryland at a family farm after I graduated high school. I set up my stand the day before the opener. At the lodge that night, all the old timers were giving us young guys crap about our tree stands. Told us we were cheating. Oh well............
My trail camera is my eyes and my watch, I sit and watch and it may take several years but I know what time the deer or Turkey usually come by or at least have a idea. I also remember a time when all you carried afield was a knife a rag and a plastic bag for the heart and liver now it seems like we need a semi full of gizmos and gadgets and spare batteries you don't need a camera to hunt just put the time and effort to it !

These are three of 8 different bucks I had pictures and videos of on a piece of ground I was allowed to hunt in 2019. These are smaller compared to a couple of the others. I had three cameras up and running and guess what......I never saw ANY of them during the daylight, or from a tree stand or my blind. Not one time.

While cameras can tell you what's roaming around it doesn't make it easy to kill a deer. The second picture is the only daylight photo I got the entire season of one of these "shooter" bucks. This is southwest Ohio and the "piece of ground" was 5 acres within the corporation limits of a small Village.

C137EE6F-9D7A-463B-BA14-D433483D868B.jpegFD4D14BD-89BC-4DDF-8EC9-5E61B772AA45.jpeg

715B4E74-2456-4F29-A150-EA7805BD0242.jpeg

I agree, a couple years ago I had this guy on my camera the night before opening day muzzle loader! I was there hunting this buck and never saw him again! To my knowledge no one ever shot him either, News would travel fast unless it was poached. I believe the lions got him, I’m still scouring the hills looking for that head!

However, it was due trail cameras that I even began hunting this area. It was otherwise overlooked for many years by me and most other hunters.FFAF4962-AABD-43ED-AA83-75D37F5B2531.jpegC3AEBDB2-FF47-40BC-818E-63C60488852B.jpeg

I’m with Lewis! Here in Vermont we have seen “ hunters” using drones with cameras attached to find deer that they don’t want to climb or hike to. Is that not simply a moving, portable game camera? That is why F&G outlawed them. Hope they do the same for these transmittable trail cameras.
We are already loosing our hunting traditions to the lazy and inept. I don’t consider sitting in an elevated blind over a bait pile hunting, it’s shooting, not hunting.
I stillhunt, almost always. It was common years ago to see other hunters walking thru the woods doing the same. I used to see hunters way back in the woods. Now all I ever see is hunters in tree stands or ground blinds(tents), and I bet most of those are within 1/2 mile of the road. Where did all the “hunters” go!
We got old and have had knee and hip replacements done and we can't risk the trek into the backwoods. It's still hunting or no hunting for guys like me. And I have no children.

Fire hawk,
Just curious where you heard this from, it’s news to me? What RAC meeting was that? I’ve been scope shopping for my new Woodman Patriot when it gets built and don’t like what I’m hearing!
Hey LHR! Yeah I was really frustrated as well. As I described in my original response post, I have just bought a brand new ML with the intention of putting a scope on it. Which I have done. Just haven't shot it yet.

Anyway, here is the link to the board meeting. https://wildlife.utah.gov/public_me...ik86Wx3G8K8-qbniWe2os786CWEDspyEUOwTUBwwlyOtM

And just to be clear, they DID pass the trail camera rules. It will got into effect this summer. I just jumped the gun on the Wildlife Board/RAC stuff regarding ML scopes. There were at least two of the RAC meetings (South and Southeast regions) where the ML scope rule was passed unanimously. Meaning that it will be investigated further. And it is important to remember that when they changed the rule a few years ago to allow scopes, it barely passed. So many thought that this could rear its ugly head again. Seems that it is weaseling its way back in.

I will enjoy my scope this year, and then see what happens after the meetings late this fall.

FH

Last edited:
Hey LHR! Yeah I was really frustrated as well. As I described in my original response post, I have just bought a brand new ML with the intention of putting a scope on it. Which I have done. Just haven't shot it yet.

Anyway, here is the link to the board meeting. https://wildlife.utah.gov/public_me...ik86Wx3G8K8-qbniWe2os786CWEDspyEUOwTUBwwlyOtM

And just to be clear, they DID pass the trail camera rules. It will got into effect this summer. I just jumped the gun on the Wildlife Board/RAC stuff regarding ML scopes. There were at least two of the RAC meetings (South and Southeast regions) where the ML scope rule was passed unanimously. Meaning that it will be investigated further. And it is important to remember that when they changed the rule a few years ago to allow scopes, it barely passed. So many thought that this could rear its ugly head again. Seems that it is weaseling its way back in.

I will enjoy my scope this year, and then see what happens after the meetings late this fall.

FH
Well and as we well know, the RAC recommendations mean nothing if the board feels they stand to loose money over it! I’ve seen that play out before at a RAC meeting that nearly got powers at be lynched for their decision.

I have been using a trail cam (Just one) for the past 3 years at the cabin...just to see the critters that come around and the people who come around. But I am not in Utah...so I will continue watching for critters

Back