Utah bans trail cameras

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another question of what is allowable tech. Hunting in Idaho, which has the most restrictive muzzleloader regs I know of, I don't complain about them, (much) but just learn them and adapt. If we're all playing by the same rules, then fair is fair. One less expense for me to buy if I want to keep up. We don't have a game cam law yet, but I'm sure it's coming. And I've only ever seen one game cam here on public land, so to me, it's kind of a big nothing burger.

I don't use cameras I know there was a time as a younger man that I sure probably would have,, back in those days I was a deer shooter not a deer hunter,, I haven't thought about the topic of making them legal or illegal,, I know I do hate to see Liberty taken away and the choice to use the modern techniques that are available to us ,I realize that a lot of young people probably 40 and under or even 30 and under that are new to hunting really love the electronic aspect of hunting. I have three young men that I mentor hunting and shooting ,, they use cameras a lot ,the ones that send pictures to your phone,, all three young men are very particular about what they will shoot,, I have a lot of respect for them they are deer hunters not deer shooters and I'm sure not implying that everyone that uses the camera is a deer hunter,, all three of these young men spend a lot of time in the woods and up in trees and yes still hunting too but they're trophy deer hunters that primarily bow hunt,, I know the environment well where they hunt if you think you're going to grab a bow and hit the brush South Texas cactus in mesquite some thick country and just walk through it and kill you a deer good luck,, the cameras allow them to focus on specific deer much more successfully is that unfair I don't know,, one of them hunts in the hills of Southwest Arkansas again he just bow hunts kills Boone and Crockett deer or at least Pope and young every year often Boone and Crockett he relies on cameras heavily,,, I sure would hope to see young man like that have that taken away or the right to use that,,, in just another comment on becoming a hunter I think that's a natural process if we spend a life in the woods I think the woods will turn us into a hunter I'm very sensitive to those who grab a bow, or a gun, or a muzzle loader, hit the woods and just hunt , relying on basic human instinct,because that's how I hunt..... On another note I do like the Bigfoot and monster and alien pics that sometimes people post that they catch on their game cam just saying..

When we first moved here to Oklahoma, my wife bought me my first trail cam. It's a cheap Walmart one. I put out in the back of our property and got lots of pictures of the neighbors cattle mostly.
Lots of hogs too, which I had high hopes of killing. I did manage to shoot 2 of them but they ran off somewhere and I never found either one.
I have the camera in my desk now. Haven't used it in a year.
To me, I guess it's a tool that I have and if I choose to use it, I should be able to.

I like to tell a little story about trail cams. Some 10 or 12 years ago, I purchased one, kind of plain, it was a Bushnell and I had to go up and take out the Sim card to see what was on it, and put it in my reader. I took it out, where we always camped along the Missouri River, about 100 yards from a small dam, and put the trail cam on a steel post close to the dam. Now we don't hunt this dam, is just happens to be there. Well don't you know I got some good pictures of deer coming into drink and one bull elk that came up and sniffed the camera. Then I found out that they were illegal to use during hunting season in Montana. I felt rather dumb, after all, I've been a Hunter safety instructor for many years, but luckily, nobody come by and checked on it so I guess it was all right and I didn't do it again. Later, in talking to a Warden, He said if it was set up to mainly watch our camp that it was legal to do so anyway. Well this year the law changed, and you can use an old-fashioned kind, like I have, in Montana as long as you can't access it on your phone. I thought it was pretty decent of them to set it up that way, as we were using it for the entertainment value anyway. Also, We were Curious about whether game would come in that close to our camp to drink, even in the dark. Well they did, sometimes appearing just at dusk while we sat outside and watch them. This year, being it was legal, I tried it again, same place, same dam, and all I got was a few deer.
Squint

Good for Utah. I wish they would ban them here in MI. IMO, they are just like bait. Just one step closer to "getting" as opposed putting your time in learning about the animal you are "hunting".
The cell connected trail cams to me are no different the drones. Real-time video of a animal you are hunting. Drones are illegal here.

The aspect of trail cams that really pisses me off is that some outfitters use the pics to sell specific stands where certain trophy animals have been photographed. The hunter that maybe saves up for "the hunt of a lifetime" can't afford the extra cash for a prime stand. So much for fair chase.
Next, hunting drones each equipped with caliber of your choice.

Don't drones make a lot of noise? If anything they would scare off a deer in an instant! Not to mention crashing into trees or brush! They should be banned for hunting! I agree with the states that have banned them, VA. included!

Latest posts

Back