VA Season Opener (of a lifetime)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpicva

Reaction score
dscn0437.jpg

dscn0444.jpg

dscn0439.jpg

Encore Pro Hunter, 100 gr. Blackhorn 209, Std. CCI 209 primer, Black MMP sabot, Hornady XTP .452 @ 250 gr.

Shot was about 30 yds, and he staggered about that far before he laid down as you see him.

I have a stand right out back of our building at work. Came out of nowhere from behind me.

I had to swivel around in the tree stand and shoot over my left shoulder.

He stopped when I moved., so I lined up the shot in a clear spot and he stepped right into it.

Bullet took out the top of his heart and liquefied the lungs before exiting through his left shoulder. I LOVE XTP's!

That is a great buck. Congratulations. Is that an entrance or exit wound I am looking at (that is if I can take my eyes off that rack).

Sounds like that load was perfect medicine.

That is a great buck. Right behind work? It sounds like it was a chunk of cover that may not see a lot of pressure, providing the ability for a deer to sit out the season a good % of the time. That's what it's all about, getting that M-L tuned for that 'once in a Fall', or less opportunity.

cayuga said:
That is a great buck. Congratulations. Is that an entrance or exit wound I am looking at (that is if I can take my eyes off that rack).

Sounds like that load was perfect medicine.

The exit wound you see took out the left shoulder. Entrance wound was a perfect entry behind the right shoulder. As big as he is, blowing out that shoulder probably helped keep him nearby. I hated to lose the meat, but I filled a good sized cooler, so I doubt I'll miss it.

That's a tried and true load with my gun.

What a spectacular looking buck! Great job.

The score on him is.......................??

muskrat30 said:
That is a great buck. Right behind work? It sounds like it was a chunk of cover that may not see a lot of pressure, providing the ability for a deer to sit out the season a good % of the time. That's what it's all about, getting that M-L tuned for that 'once in a Fall', or less opportunity.

Funny you should mention that. It has been a safe haven for a few years now. There is a MASSIVE construction project that begins about 10 ft. from where he was shot. The patch of woods on my side of the line is probably less than 3 acres. There are other large patches of timber on two other sides. I went in there hoping to pull ANYTHING out of that patch of woods because I haven't seen anything since 2009. He's been hunkered down back there somewhere!

Very nice--congratulations :applause: :applause:
Gotta love the XTP's :yeah:

Lawdwaz said:
What a spectacular looking buck! Great job.

The score on him is.......................??

I downloaded the B&C sheet yesterday. It'd only be a green score until two months have passed, but I'll update here eventually. Been too busy to take the measurements.

Latest posts

Back