Variable vrs Fixed Scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerock

Reaction score
I am thinking about topping my TC Omega with a scope and am leaning towards a fixed 4X scope. In Kansas you can't use a scope during muzzleloading deer season but can use one during rifle season and the extended January season.

I shoot 250gr sabots with 100 gr. of Pyrodex so I don't plan on taking much more than 130yd shots and given my hunting history I probably won't need to.

Is there any reason why I would want to go to a variable 3-9 scope? I have noticed that a lot of forum members use variable scopes and I am curious why. I do use variable scopes on my 30-06 rifles but they shoot a lot farther.

I don't see one thing wrong with that logic and have in fact thought about it for myself. Also..I have MUCH rather have a REALLY good fixed powder scope than a so-so variable powder scope. I'd really like to try the new Leupold FX-II 4X. Man..I bet that is one really nice scope!...or even a 4X Nikon Monarch...

Is there any reason why I would want to go to a variable 3-9 scope? I have noticed that a lot of forum members use variable scopes and I am curious why.

Okay..here's why for ME...
Let's take a common 3-9 scope. All things being equal one should be able to shoot better groups at the range with the scope on 9X vs your 4X fixed power scope..even at 100yds. Increase the range of the target and the 9X becomes more important.

Here's the other reason..when actually hunting many times I want a scope with LESS magnification than 4X when either the cover/woods are thick, shot will likely be close, OR when a moving target is likely such as a deer drive. Lower magnification equals more field of view.

I use the highest magnification for range work. I get a better picture of my target, the bull. On the lower magnification it's hard to tell exactly where you're aiming. In hunting I rarely go above 4X. On longer shot's might go a little higher. Only execption is when I'm out shooting gophers with my 22-250. I like to shoot 'em at 200 or more and I dial it up to 24X.

Chuck,
I agree that sighting in is easier with a variable scope and occasionally I will dial up the magnification on distant deer with my '06. Mostly I keep my VX scopes on about 4x.

I never thought about a smokepole on deer drives! :? That is a strategy I usually associate more with repeaters. Interesting idea though!

That little Leupold FX 4x (or any number of fixed power scopes) offer a good deal more mounting flexibility compared to many variables. Length of the eyepiece and mount location can prevent you from taking advantage of even a good scope's full eye-relief.

Most of us could probably do perfectly well with a fixed 2.5 so far as hunting is concerned. It's a very rare occasion when one of mine gets turned past the bottom stop while actually hunting.

I was a died in the wool fixed scope user until the early 90s when I figured out the makers were putting all their energies into developing and marketing the variable scopes. Because of competition you can usually get an excellent deal on a 3-9X.

The 3-9X40 format is a good one, with many choice in the market.

jim

I have a 4x Redfield on my Remington 700ML, and have never felt handicapped in the least. Like you, 130 yards is about as far as I want to shoot, and the 4x is fine.

It's funny, I have variable scopes on my other rifles, but I don't miss them at all when using the ML.

I am partial to the variables. I find the higher mag good for anything over 100 yards be it hunting or range work but like the ability to drop down to 3 or 4 power if required (tight situations, weather, etc). I hunt on the ground mostly and if set up in a blind I usually sit my scope at 7 power when I expect 75 yards or longer shots. If i do hunt in a treestand it usually means a tighter situation so I will drop down to the lower settings. On shots longer than 150 I power to the max. Just feel more confident with the target as close as possible and like the ability to go up or down if required. That said I have never found any use for biggame hunting for the larger mags, weird but I notice the shake factor above 10 in the field as such I currently don't have a big game rifle equipped with higher than a 10x variable.

SKhunter,
On my centerfire '06 I usually sit with the scope at around 4X magnification. When a deer presents itself at greater than 50 yards I have always had the opportunity to dial up the scope for a longer shot. On the other hand a deer that appears at 20 yards doesn't usually give you much time to get all your stuff sorted out before taking a shot.

I hunt in semi-forested and brushy country which may give me more cover than I usually think of Saskatchewan. On the other hand if you hunt from tree stands you probably have more cover than I am thinking. :?

I usually sit with my scope on the lowest power be it 1x or 4x and when the deer appear I have them shot before I think about turning up to a higher power. Longest shot 221 yards with the scope on 1.5 At the range I usually set the scope on the highest power.

Latest posts

Back