Velocity help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
I have a CVA Accura MR .50 that I shoot 70 gr. By weight BH 209 and 300 gr. XTP mags. Does anyone have this same rifle/bullet combo? Im wondering what my approximate velocity is and I dont have access to a chronograph...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Both of those are real close and good. I was shooting 77 weighed gr with a 300 gr Deep curl and a black crushrib sabot and got a real tight average of 2034. Out of 5 shots 1 read 2018 and the rest were 2034. Those were with win 209 primers also.

Last edited:
Unless you are hunting game larger then whitetail deer I don't see the need for XTP 300grs. I've killed 10 deer with 200gr XTP's just as dead as I did using 240's.
Yes. Exactly. My only caveat is with accuracy. If the heavier bullet is more accurate that's what I go with. Same with the lighter bullet.

I live out west and hunt mostly mule deer and elk. I prefer 1 load to hunt both with. If it was just a deer gun I would shoot the lighter bullets for sure

I drew blood for the first time with the non magnum 300 grain .45 XTPs and I have to say I was very impressed.
My load is 70 grains of 3f Swiss and velocity is 1500 fps from my stainless 24 inch Firehawk.
I shot 2 good size doe. The larger ( dressed weight 135 lbs) at 80 yards and a slightly smaller one at 20. Neither went more than 50 yards after the hit. The big one took a rear quartering hit and the 2nd was a perfect heart shot.
Fine bullet. But I do prefer my 250s though. They make a superb batch of chest soup, with a bit more speed ( same charge, 1575 fps) and noticeably less recoil...

Latest posts

Back