Ventliner in White Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Reaction score
I bought a used White a couple months ago and the breech plugs flash hole was at least twice as big as what they are when new. The White breech plugs are one piece with the #11 nipple. I think that nipple would last my lifetime but once that flashhole gets too big you get a ton more blowback and I think the accuracy suffers.I had bought some new breech plugs but I had an idea that a ventliner ought to work in there. I sent it out to Ron Laughlin and he did an excellent job drilling it and tapping it for a ventliner.
I finally took the time to try it out today. I shot 13 shots using Remington #11 caps and Triple 7 fffg. Ignition was flawless. I do think the blowback was less than I was getting with a new breechplug. It will be interesting to see how many shots I get out of a ventliner before the hole errodes too much but it is cheaper and easier buying ventliners than new breechplugs.
I can't think of a downside to making this conversion.
Art
________
FREE VAPORIZER

Yes, please post some pictures.

There might be quite few of us White Owners interested.

This is what the breech plug looks like with the ventliner installed
ventliner001.jpg

Ron could tell you much better than I what he did to get the plug ready to accept the ventliner. I think it ammounts to machining the plug so the head of the ventliner will seat tightly and drilling and tapping a hole to accept the threads of the ventliner, I think they are 10-32 but I'm not positive.
Here is the plug before installing the ventliner
ventliner003.jpg

Here is kind of a blurry picture of the ventliner
ventliner004.jpg
\
Hope this helps
Art

Installing the vent liner in the White breech plug was some simple, and some difficult. There isn't much spare room for the installation, because the flash channel is quite short.

First step on this one was some careful measuring. Second step was to create a seat for the vent liner using an 82* 3/8" counter sink. Then, one carefully uses a # 21 drill to prep the plug for a 10-32 tap. One doesn't want to drill too deep, and damage the nipple. Then one uses a tap to make threads in the flash channel. Then the tap is removed, and replaced with a bottom tap, so the threads can be formed to the end of the drilled out area of the flash channel.

That's it, that's all there is to it, except to clean up, and test for fit with the vent liner.

Re: RE:

ronlaughlin said:
Installing the vent liner in the White breech plug was some simple, and some difficult. There isn't much spare room for the installation, because the flash channel is quite short.

First step on this one was some careful measuring. Second step was to create a seat for the vent liner using an 82* 3/8" counter sink. Then, one carefully uses a # 21 drill to prep the plug for a 10-32 tap. One doesn't want to drill too deep, and damage the nipple. Then one uses a tap to make threads in the flash channel. Then the tap is removed, and replaced with a bottom tap, so the threads can be formed to the end of the drilled out area of the flash channel.

That's it, that's all there is to it, except to clean up, and test for fit with the vent liner.
Are you still doing these ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Re: RE:

might want to shoot Ron a p.m. he may not see this.

muzzlestuffer said:
ronlaughlin said:

Re: RE: Re: RE:

dbowling said:
might want to shoot Ron a p.m. he may not see this.

muzzlestuffer said:
ronlaughlin said:

K
Thanks

I installed a ventliner into a contender g2. 45 breech plug. The breech plug is unavailable from tc any longer. I see installing ventliners as a great way to keep older and less popular rifles still shooting. Thanks for the instructions Ron.

Back