Virginia early MLer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Reaction score
It was extremely dry and windy for Va's opener, at least in Patrick County. I sat in my stand in a laurel thicket until almost lunch time without seeing so much as a squirrel. I had scent out in effort to entice a cruising buck, but no such luck. I walked back towards the house into a headwind, but still slowly trying to avoid making noise. Often times deer will feed in the meadow behind the house....before I made it to the meadow I heard noise and saw a couple of does bound off the ridge below me and across the hollow towards the house. I froze and glassed them with the binocs knowing full well that they were does. They started to feed, and after a couple of minutes another, larger deer bounded across the hollow. I perceived respectable antlers and a relatively large body, and it stopped with its head hidden. The does tuned in, opted to just say no, and ran directly towards me. I realized that it was going to get lively, and don't recall cocking the hammer....the buck started after the does and ran maybe 20 yards before stopping with its head behind a white pine. He was quartered towards me about 60 yards away, and I had no option for a rest, so took the shot offhand.

The entrance was between the neck and shoulder behind my hunting bag and exited behind the far shoulder. .62 flintlock, 330gr PRB over 120gr fffg Goex, dropped like a rock! Notice how large his head is...mature mountain deer!

very nice, i love the couch hunt.lol way to go him old school job well done.

i can see blood all around him in the leaf matter,the old .62 did a job on him.
please post more pics after you get him back and hung up

The "red in the leaves" is red leaves. I actually moved the buck a few yards and purposely covered the entrance so as to not show blood. It was a warmish day, so he was skinned within a couple of hours and then boned out. I WISH that I had a scale to weigh him dressed.

Congrads on a Mighty Fine Buck. :yeah: That is a dandy looking rifle too.

:D

Great story and a real nice buck :!: Like that flinter :!: I don't have a .62. I have a .54 and after seeing your deer, I may just take my flinter or cap lock out with me to the blind this season.
CONGRATS again :!: :!: :!:

Ray.......... :wink:

Congratulations on a fine deer and a great looking rifle. That's a good shot you made. And that caliber tends to lay a thump on about anything. I had a .62 caliber smooth bore but sold it. It shot a large roundball, but the long range accuracy just was not what I wanted.

hawgslayer said:
:D

Great story and a real nice buck :!: Like that flinter :!: I don't have a .62. I have a .54 and after seeing your deer, I may just take my flinter or cap lock out with me to the blind this season.
CONGRATS again :!: :!: :!:

Ray.......... :wink:

I HAVE and Omega, several percussion and several rocklocks. If the weather is nice, I'll take a flinter. If the weather is threatening or damp, I'll take either a percussion or the Omega. If I were hunting open fields with long shots presented at BIG bucks, I would take the Omega. My Va property is mostly thick, so 50 yards is normally about as far as I can see. Good luck!

Great buck and great story! Thanks for both. Good to hear the rut is in swing here in VA.

Awesome job! Loved the story, the rifle and a great pic of the results.

JStanley said:

Thanks! Now, how about chasin' some of those elk into Va so we can take 'em in deer season?

excess650 said:
JStanley said:

Thanks! Now, how about chasin' some of those elk into Va so we can take 'em in deer season?

Man, I would love to help ya out! I've been in the elk draw every year they've had it and never been drawn. One of these days.........

I love that picture! I don't know much about whitetails but it makes me wanna shoot one with a flintlock...

CoHiCntry said:
I love that picture! I don't know much about whitetails but it makes me wanna shoot one with a flintlock...

Well, we don't have mule deer, and elk permits are hard to come by in the east, so whitetails it is. Regardless, its ALL more satisfying when you do it with a flintlock!

Back