Want a Good conical shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a percussion ML for shooting conicals. I have a limited budget so will likely get used if I can find one in good shape. I am partial to carbines for the area I hunt (heavy woods/brush, not shot over 100yds).

Can anyone let me know if the below rifles age good conical shooters?

T/C Renegade
T/C White Mountain
T/C Penn Hunter
T/C Hawken
Lyman Deerstalker
Cabelas Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine

Any others?

One other question while I have your attention.

Barrel twist ? I assume I want either 1/24 or 1/48. Which would be better if I am solely shooting conicals?

For a dedicated conical shooter I would get a 1/28" or 1/24" twist if you want to shoot long conicals such as th No Excuse bullets. Alot of people have good luck with the 1/48" twist with the shorter conicals suc as TC's maxi hunters/balls. If it were me I would get the Cabelas gun with the fast twist.

cabela's carbine

I have two of these, and they both shoot Great Plains 385 gr. quite good with 80gr. 777. One is 1:24, the other is 1:48, and there is no difference with the Great Plains. Unless you really want to hurl some serious lead, there is nothing wrong with a 1:48. The Cabela's rifles can occasionally be seen on the auction sites for really good prices - 100 - 175.00. If you can go 200, you will almost certainly find one.

Gotta agree on the full size rifle over the carbine. The rifle (I have 3 of those), is just better. I use my carbines for my treestands where ranges are 100 yards or less - usually 25 to 50. It is nice and handy, and carries easier when you have a buch of stuff - stand, backpack, etc.

Not sure why I lean towards the carbines. Most of my hunting is in fairly heavily wooded areas, I guess I like the maneuverability. But I don't want to sacrifice accuracy, at least to 100yds.

So it seems I am looking for at least 1:48 twist, preferably faster. I'm setting my budget at $200 and there seems to be quite a lot of deal on Gunbroker. Only problem is they hardly ever state the twist rate.

Thanks for the advice.

The Cabela's Hawkens , both standard and sporterized, are 1:48. The carbine will be 1:24 or 1:48.

If you look around you can find a nice used TC Hawken in 50 0r 54 caliber at a good price. The TC customer service is really good. Even if your new to you "use" rifle has some small issues, TC will fix it normally for free.

Latest posts

Back