want to build 32 / 36 cal in line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek42

Reaction score
For some reason, I can not get this out of my head. I want a 32/36 cal in line. After looking and seeing there is nothing out there.Now I want to build one. Can I ?? My first thought is it needs to be light weight. I was thinking of starting with a Old but Great gun the Knight 85.fitted with a new 32/36 cal barrel. Or should I reline the barrel in 32/36 ?.. If I reline the barrel will it be too heavy ?? I am looking for advise and guidance.. I know I have 2 cal listed.I was thinking if the ml was a 32 cal it would need to be a round ball gun.If I went to a 36 cal I could shoot a 32 cal in a sabot. Second thought would be to do a TC Encore barrel. Anyone doing that kind of build ? I have an Encore 50 cal barrel to build off of. I am open to using and starter gun. I just like the Knight 85..Again at the end of the project I'm looking for a light weight fun gun.If you know of some place to get the work done please ket me know.I am not new to the gun world,but just getting back into the ML shooting
feel free to contact me with your thoughts at [email protected]

I did this, search mountaineer to .32 conversion on this forum for details. Or PM me for any questions. Ill try to help. One big thing is it will probably take a while. Most gunsmiths are pretty buzy and you will have to wait for a slot in their bookings. Most traditional style builders arent interested in taking on anything modern. I spent quite a while just looking for a smith willing, But found a great one in the end.
I have several guns in .32 cal, in twists from 1-30 to 1-48, they all shoot patched roundball well, but varying success for maxis. there is a group buy just getting organized on cast boolits forum for a .32 Buffalo ballet variation molds. its just in final development stage and G-B hasnt really been announced yet. It really depends on what you want the rifle for. .32 cal is really a squirrel gun good to short ranges, maybe some light varminting. maybe coyote to 80 ish. A .36 isnt really too far off, but will get you a bit more range. shooting a .32 cal in a sabot in .36 isnt really more weight than a .32 maxi. and a bit much power for squirrel barring headshot only.

Not sure how big a project you are willing to do but check out a company called Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply, they have a web site. They are mostly a trad rifle build site but they do offer a Allen in-line action. I looked first and they offer a 36 cal Grn Mtn barrel that can be fitted to the action. I called and spoke to them about a rifle build around this action and they offer a stock and all components to complete the rifle. I was interested in a 58 cal but I would think that the 36 could be done. Check it out.

davek42 said:
For some reason, I can not get this out of my head. I want a 32/36 cal in line. After looking and seeing there is nothing out there.Now I want to build one. Can I ?? My first thought is it needs to be light weight. I was thinking of starting with a Old but Great gun the Knight 85.fitted with a new 32/36 cal barrel. Or should I reline the barrel in 32/36 ?.. If I reline the barrel will it be too heavy ?? I am looking for advise and guidance.. I know I have 2 cal listed.I was thinking if the ml was a 32 cal it would need to be a round ball gun.If I went to a 36 cal I could shoot a 32 cal in a sabot. Second thought would be to do a TC Encore barrel. Anyone doing that kind of build ? I have an Encore 50 cal barrel to build off of. I am open to using and starter gun. I just like the Knight 85..Again at the end of the project I'm looking for a light weight fun gun.If you know of some place to get the work done please ket me know.I am not new to the gun world,but just getting back into the ML shooting
feel free to contact me with your thoughts at [email protected]

I did Read this and You did give me hope that this can be done. I have just started on this adventure. My goal is a "light weight squrrel / plinking gun". I would like a quality gun when completed.That being said I know I could spend way more than needed.If you have enought money You can build anything. Your work looks to be top notch. The gun looked great I would be fine with you doing the work.That being said I have no time line.
If you would like to email me .We could start working out some details like What gun, and finished cost. I talked about using a Knight 85 but I am open to other guns, SS might be a must.And I want to scope the gun I do not have a gun as of yet, so the field is wide open
davek42
[email protected]

Harleysboss said:
Not sure how big a project you are willing to do but check out a company called Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply, they have a web site. They are mostly a trad rifle build site but they do offer a Allen in-line action. I looked first and they offer a 36 cal Grn Mtn barrel that can be fitted to the action. I called and spoke to them about a rifle build around this action and they offer a stock and all components to complete the rifle. I was interested in a 58 cal but I would think that the 36 could be done. Check it out.

Thanks for the information I will look at there web site. My hopes are to build one off an exsisting set up, and not starting from complety over. I hope to get a good inline ML and have it refitted with a 32/36 cal barrel. I am not sure if all inline have removeable barrels.I know that a good gun smith can rebarrel anything, But will it work as wanted
thanks for you input and feel free to ad and thoughts
david kroen

The one drawback on the mountaineer conversion, is it is a bit heavy. This is true of any retrofit to a smaller bore. The allen inline action is in the original post of the conversion and would be a better choice if weight were a primary concern. But it is an 11 cap open action, so BH powder is out. that doesnt really bother me, ( though I do use it in this .32 conversion)and then the issue of the stock being custom made. Im sure "we have a stock to fit" means you could take any stock blank, and finish it to fit. Meaning barrel channeling, shaping and inlaying every other appropriate part. So to do this cheaply, means doing the work yourself. If you had to pay someone else to custom fabricate pretty much everything...well time is money. If you were set on using an existing action, remington or savage are the ones I know with a screw in removable barrel from the action. But then you have the issue of a breech plug for a smaller diameter barrel, and safety concerns. Or fitting a small diameter barrel to a break action and just making a forearm. This almost brings you back to the allen inline action as a base. Theres no good cheap route to getting a custom gun made. Im not the guy who built mine, I contracted the work and did everything through mail, as he is about 2000 miles from me. I have been thinking of doing this allen action in a fast twist .36 for sabot. mostly just for range fun. But the proper barrel would also have to be a custom order, as you would want something like a 1-14 or even faster twist. Any stock .36 barrel will most likely have a 1-48 or greater twist made for patched roundball

Squeeze said:
The one drawback on the mountaineer conversion, is it is a bit heavy. This is true of any retrofit to a smaller bore. The allen inline action is in the original post of the conversion and would be a better choice if weight were a primary concern. But it is an 11 cap open action, so BH powder is out. that doesnt really bother me, ( though I do use it in this .32 conversion)and then the issue of the stock being custom made. Im sure "we have a stock to fit" means you could take any stock blank, and finish it to fit. Meaning barrel channeling, shaping and inlaying every other appropriate part. So to do this cheaply, means doing the work yourself. If you had to pay someone else to custom fabricate pretty much everything...well time is money. If you were set on using an existing action, remington or savage are the ones I know with a screw in removable barrel from the action. But then you have the issue of a breech plug for a smaller diameter barrel, and safety concerns. Or fitting a small diameter barrel to a break action and just making a forearm. This almost brings you back to the allen inline action as a base. Theres no good cheap route to getting a custom gun made. Im not the guy who built mine, I contracted the work and did everything through mail, as he is about 2000 miles from me. I have been thinking of doing this allen action in a fast twist .36 for sabot. mostly just for range fun. But the proper barrel would also have to be a custom order, as you would want something like a 1-14 or even faster twist. Any stock .36 barrel will most likely have a 1-48 or greater twist made for patched roundball

Sorry for the delay.I could not get logged back on to this site But finaly after 10 trys I'm back.
Ok on to other options.And get away from the loght weight thing. Do you think You could use a thompson Center Encore barrel I have one of those that could be a doner. Or a Remington 700ML or the Ruger77/50ML. Those I would need to buy but do not have a problem with that.
davek42

When I had it done, he told me he could use whatever donor gun I wanted. The gunsmith could tell you more. contact Colin Stoltzer in Kansas (Stoltzer and sons gunsmithing) I dont want to give his info on open forum, (not sure how he thinks about that) But I originally got him through a webite http://blackpowderfa.proboards.com/ or you can PM me and ill try to dig up his contact info. There is a way for pretty much any action, you just add a few pounds by keeping the outer barrel diameter, and going down to a smaller bore.

Back