Wayles ML Mulie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
Here's one that Wayles got today...,I"ll let him fill in the details
Zen
Waynebuck.jpg

Another nice one! Good job. I assume these ate all spit and stalk? Dont see much for tree stands hehehe.

Mulie ML buck

Thanks Zen for posting the pic for me. congrats on your smokless Buck.
Last sunday afternoon was one of those rare mild balmy afternoon's we rarely get in western NE after Nov. Wind was very light out of the south, 50 degreeish. I had made up my mind to move in on the mulie herd with the first stright So. wind we got. As you can see from the pic, cover to hide in or behind is hard to come by in this country. I chose a slight depression with a few weeds on the rim. I thought I was over to one side of the normal travel route down to the green wheat field which lays behind the buck and to the right 15 or so degrees . Was running late and didn't get laid down till 2:30 pm. Was only there about 30 min. when I saw 4 deer outlined aginst the sky up the hill in front of the buck pic. Two hot does with two bucks in tow. The way they were coming I was going to get busted pretty quick if they did not change paths . I was actually hunting another larger buck that I had not seen sinse Nov. 13th. After a quick assesment I decided take the larger deer as soon as he moved to a clear spot in the weed line on the rim of my depression. Opportunity came in about 5 min when he turned to follow one of the does as she fed down the hill. Shot was about 100 yds DRT. Equipment used was a .45 cal Knight disc extream with lehigh gen ll plug, Burris 4.5 to 14 ballistic scope. Hornady 200 gr SST, smooth lite blue harvester sabot, 120 gr of BH 209 and win. 209 primers. Fourty seven year old buck pathfinder knife, New butt out tool [ worked fantastic, cut 10 min out of the dressing task] Complete pass through high lung close to being a high shoulder. Lungs were destroyed. Was able to go get the pick up and drive right up to him to load him up. The tail end of the rut done him in as normally they don't show up till 30 min before dark. The highest Knob you can see in the distance right on the very top is where I shot my centerfire buck. Daughter killed her centerfire buck 300yds up the hill in front of the buck pic where this guy came from.
It was a good day!

Nice buck Wayles! What was the inside spread of him? I've thought about getting one those butt-out tools. Saving that much time, I believe I'm going to buy one.

mulie

Flhtr
Don't know the width approx 24 to 26 wide by eyeball. Soon as the salt on the skull cap crusts up good I will ck. I could not believe how slick that butt out tool works. I figured I would have my boot on his butt pullin..... Not So!
as the directions said I inserted to the stop, turn till it catches, turn half turn more and a fairlly gentle steady pull and the deed was done. I was amazed ! tied it off with string and proceeded like normal. Worth the money and I paid too much at a a pamida store.
Wayles

Very nice Wayles!!!

We used the ButtOut for the first time this year also. It worked perfect on 2 BUTT :D on the other 2 it worked ok. Most likely user error since its not a very natural act. :lol:

Unfortunately it requires practice and patients or a proctologist to master.

AGAIN WAYNE!!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

spread

Flhtr said:
Nice buck Wayles! What was the inside spread of him? I've thought about getting one those butt-out tools. Saving that much time, I believe I'm going to buy one.

Flhtr he was 24" inside spread
Wayne

Nice buck.
GM54-120 said:
Unfortunately it requires practice and patients or a proctologist to master.
Not to thread hijack, but in my experience, using the buttout before rigor sets in helps TREMENDOUSLY in making it MUCH easier.
-Mike

Back